WBBB
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing

April Foothills Thru Hike

Went for a hike on the Foothills trail April 7th through April 12th. We were going to do a section hike on the Mountains to Sea Trail from Beacon Heights to Hwy 181 on Thursday April 4th but the ice storm caused us to cancel due to 16 creek crossings .
    We drove down and Peregrine AT thru hiker 2011 gave us a shuttle from Table Rock to Oconee State Park.
    Day 1. We got to Oconee State Park and on the Trail at 1 PM. The weather was great for a hike no snow or ice low 60's and we made good time to the Chattooga River and passed the Bartram Trail and Pigpen Falls. Met a few day hikers. The Chatooga River is great and the highlight of this days hike. The blackbird felt good and a great nights sleep as we found a good camp spot near Simm's Field.
    Day 2. We broke camp and was on the trail by 8:15 an another beautiful day walking along the Chatooga River. The weather was in the 70's by mid day and we passed several nice rock formations and small waterfalls. We did not take time to view Big Bend Falls. We just missed the Hammock Forums group hang at Burrells Ford. They left on Sunday. From all reports they had a great time. Leaving the Chatooga River and getting to Sloan Bridge picnic area we crossed hwy 107 but could not find a good place to camp without walking a ways to water that was close to the road so we backtracked 1/2 mile to set up camp. Making instant pudding is getting to be the highlight of dinner. In the hammock and to sleep by 8:30 and relaxing is good.
    Day 3. After backtracking the next morning to Sloans Bridge access we headed up to Round Mountain and leaving the Sumpter Nat. Forest to the Nantahala Forest were we crossed the state line and got our first views of Lake Jocassee. We stopped at Upper Whitewater Falls to enjoy lunch. Walking down the Whitewater river in the heat of the early afternoon felt good in natures air conditioning. We met several day hikers and one from Alabama that was enjoying his first taste of mountain hiking and was loving it. We did not take time to visit Lower Whitewater Falls so I was happy when we decided to take a short day and enjoy Hillard Falls and camp there.
    The rangers from Gorges State Park had collected two of the backpacks that Fireinmybones reported and after talking with officials in Transylvania County today they have no information but that someone had abondoned the packs.
    Day 4. On the trail by 8:15 it is shaping up to be a hot day mid 80's. We followed Bearcamp creek and down to Horsepasture River and up the steep set of steps. We did not walk far till we found one of the abandoned backpacks. Full of food equipment car keys that the rangers missed. The bridge over the Horsepasture River is 115 ft long. We came across some trail magic (leave a meal take a meal) great idea. We left a meal and took a some snack bars. Yesterday we met a group of hikers that were making about 7 to 9 miles a day and I thought how hot they will be crossing the mountain above upper whitewater falls as we walked in the midday heat up the mountain above canebrake. I received a gift over Christmas of an exoffico scarf that when wet has the ability to retain water and stay cool. To my great relief it works as advertised and I used it the rest of the trip. Wrapped around my neck it helped keep this old mountain boy cool. Just thinking about the ice storm back home less than week ago.
    We crossed the Toxaway River Bridge an amazing 225 ft structure that Duke Power set as a walkway over the Toxaway River. Worth the trip just to see it until you get to the camp site just on the other side (wow). Picnic tables were at multiple campsites and this is where we set up for the remainder of the day and no one else was there. After setting up camp I slipped off and took a swim/bath in the river so cool and refreshing and my socks needed it after 3-1/2 days of walking. After dinner it was relaxing to lay in the hammock and listen to music on the walkman.
    Day 5. We were on the trail by 8:00am looking to beat the heat and get to Laurel Falls for lunch. The Spanish Sword plants seem out of place but we learned that they were left over from an old homeplace. Making great time about 3 mph we made it to Laurel Falls before lunch and met 3 day hikers going the other direction and one was 80+ yr old amazing!!! We got to Virginia Hawkins Falls when one of the day hikers caught up with us as we were starting to treat our water and have some lunch. After talking with SnaggleRoot for awhile he advised that there was 2 to 4 inches of rain and possible tornado's in the forcast. Being in a hammock with that much rain is not a problem but tornados I don't think so. SnaggleRoot offered us a ride to Brevard where he was staying at a motel and would shuttle us back to Laurel Valley in the morning. We took him up on the offer and made short work of the last 4.7 miles to his car. We got checked into our rooms and SnaggleRoot (from Houston Tx.) had heard of a restaurant called Big Mikes and we went and the hiker appetite had kicked in and after 20 hot wings and a huge plate of lasagna we went back to plan tommorow's hike. We decided to get back to the trail and leave some of our gear at the motel and slack pack the last 14.5 miles to finish the trail at Table Rock State Park.
    Day 6. I did not get a good night sleep at the motel (wished I was in my Blackbird) but the upside was, no wet gear to pack up and carry. After a good breakfast at the Waffle House, SnaggleRoot got us back to the trail head by 8:15 and it was a cool clear day. We got the rain but fortunatly we did not get the tornados. It was a steady climb up to Sassafras Mountain and we took a short break at the top and headed on. We took a break on Pinnacle mtn where you could get a great view of the area. You can see what looked like the cradle of forestry area to the north. Heading down we came across a neat waterfall that was over the trail and I took time to enjoy the water to cool off. We got to Table Rock and the car by 3pm and headed home.
    SnaggleRoot sent me this video of his hike which crossed paths with ours and reflects all that we saw.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7N_7KtWAsE

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

This is a great report Grits. I felt like I was with you.
    Glad you got the video.
    That was awesome
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Grits, what a great trip! Nothing quite like some trail magic and dinner in town. I enjoyed reading your report. It makes want to be back out on my home trail. I've tagged the video to watch when I get home. Thanks for the story and the information on the packs.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    Darien UL/WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Geaar
    Insulation
    HG and EE
    Suspension
    Dutch

Great trip report.... I just receive the guide book & map for this trail. Really looking forward to it.... Still creeped out about the packs fimb found

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by swampfox View Post
    This is a great report Grits. I felt like I was with you.
    Glad you got the video.
    That was awesome
    Thanks SnaggleRoot gave me permission to use his video and he is a hammock hanger as well being a lot better with video than I am. I make boring stuff lol I have tried.

Quote Originally Posted by engine386 View Post
    Great trip report.... I just receive the guide book & map for this trail. Really looking forward to it.... Still creeped out about the packs fimb found
    You will enjoy the hike just be sure you stay hydrated this time of year. The packs were just left on the trail and I would not worry about the incident if it could be called that. The Local officials and Foothills Trail Conference have searched for information and have come up with nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by FireInMyBones View Post
    Grits, what a great trip! Nothing quite like some trail magic and dinner in town. I enjoyed reading your report. It makes want to be back out on my home trail. I've tagged the video to watch when I get home. Thanks for the story and the information on the packs.
    Thanks I always enjoy your trip reports.
    A few more pictures from the trip.
    Home sweet Home Frozen Creek Access IMG_1622.jpg

IMG_1591.jpg

IMG_1633.jpg

John L Cantrell hommesite circle of Friends IMG_1664.jpg

Hammock
    WBRR-WBBB
    Tarp
    Cloudburst-Hanger
    Insulation
    NeoAir-Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie Dutch hook
    Awesome trip report. Thanks for sharing. Beautiful area.

great report. I plan on a thru hike of the Foothills in June, can't wait!

Hammock
    WBBB - XLC 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG CF Tarp
    Insulation
    HG - Incub/ Burrow
    Great trip report - enjoyed reading it.

I love the Foothills Trail - just did 37 miles on it 2 weekends ago. Only thing about the trail is all the steps!

Great post!

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Schafer View Post
    great report. I plan on a thru hike of the Foothills in June, can't wait!
    [thread hijack]

Best of luck on your upcoming hike. If you need any help with shuttling or feedback on the trail, I'm happy to help.

[/thread hijack]
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    DD Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks

Re: April Foothills Thru Hike

Awesome trip report. I've done quite a few sections of the Foothills trail but I've really wantes to do the whole thing at once.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast