Hammock
    WBBB / WWM
    Tarp
    OES
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing & whoops..
    A sleeping bag can be used like a quilt.

A quilt can not be used like a bag.

I'm a bag man.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ/AHE UQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    There's also the phobia that some (myself included) have with putting hardware like a zipper into our hammocks. One nick in the fabric from the zipper and it might turn into a tear. At least, those are my reasons for choosing quilts over bags.
    Man, I had not thought of that. I was quite happy using sleeping bags as top quilts - could not see the need for anything different - now I definitely need a top quilt. Just when I thought I was done modifying, upgrading, changing, adding, etc...
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Here's what this newb is gonna do.

Buy a used down (for compressability) bag on an auction site, for the temp rating I desire (remebering that I have a JRB UQ beneath me-I can probably get by with a slightly warmer model). When I get it, rip out the zipper. Cut of the hood flap and reseal/seam it in that section...Wa-La! Poor mans UQ for $80.

Anyway, that's the concept.

Honestly I don't think there are many advantages of having a quilt as opposed to having a sleeping bag. The main reason for the quilt is just comfortability. With the sleeping bag in a hammock, it can definitely feel constraining. As far as warmth goes, a sleeping bag is going to be your better choice.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tylert27 View Post
    As far as warmth goes, a sleeping bag is going to be your better choice.
    Why is that?
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Winter or Hex
    Insulation
    Yeah, sometimes
    Suspension
    Rings, buckles, WS
    Honestly I don't think there are many advantages of having a quilt as opposed to having a sleeping bag. The main reason for the quilt is just comfortability. With the sleeping bag in a hammock, it can definitely feel constraining. As far as warmth goes, a sleeping bag is going to be your better choice.
    Please explain the rationale for the last sentence. Having used both UQ/TQ's and bags, I'm not seeing how a bag is warmer since almost half of it (the portion underneath the occupant) would be compressed and not provide much R value in that area of compression. Conversely, due to their design, UQ/TQ's don't have this limitation and the loft they provide on both the top and bottom gives them the edge for R value IMO.

If a bag is better for keeping you warmer I must be doing something wrong. Interested in knowing how others are using their bags...

Hammock
    WBBB XLC Lefty
    Tarp
    WB Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    Custom HG Set
    Suspension
    Dynaglide UCRs

Re: Difference between sleeping bag and quilt?

I'm in the boat with the last two questions. I don't find a bag warmer, just heavier. Why the bag?
    Brady

Hammock
    WBBB XLC dbl. 1.7, ENO Dblnst
    Tarp
    Superfly, MCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Zep/Incu/NewR/SSnv
    Suspension
    tree strap/whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Why is that?
    I think the main advantages of a quilt are smaller pack size, lighter weight, more comfortable, and less chance of zipper damage. I was tired of carrying the bulk and weight of a bag, so I finally sprung for my first top quilt (Sierra Sniveler).

As for the sleeping bag being warmer, I can't help but believe that is true. When you're laying on it, you are compressing SOME of the down, but certainly not all of it. Maybe the difference is negligible, but I believe a bag must be warmer.

Anyway, I'm a top quilt convert and won't go back to a bag. I don't think I'll even go back to a bag for tent/bivy/ground sleeping.

Take it easy,
    desmobob

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ/AHE UQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    As far as warmth goes, a sleeping bag is going to be your better choice.

If the compressed insulation in the sleeping bag has no R value, then in that regard they are equal. But, the sleeping bag does create a closed space that traps in body warmth to some extent. On a cool night with an TQ I find myself rolling from side to side to get the edges of the TQ to slip under me and 'coccoon' me.
    I don't like getting in and out of a sleeping bag in the hammock but once I'm there I like it fine.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by desmobob View Post
    As for the sleeping bag being warmer, I can't help but believe that is true. When you're laying on it, you are compressing SOME of the down, but certainly not all of it. Maybe the difference is negligible, but I believe a bag must be warmer.
    When used on the ground, I'd probably agree. But when used in a hammock with insulation suspended below, I'd probably be forced to argue. I've been pretty darn deep into the negatives with a quilt set and haven't once thought to myself "I sure wish I had a sleeping bag". I do think it's unique to hammocks, but I see no benefit to a bag over a quilt for warmth...in a hammock.

As always, JMO.
    Trust nobody!