HH Expedition Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Came with HH
    Insulation
    JRB TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Whoopieslings

Question A hiking newbie testing a hammock in Central Park, NYC

I am a newbie to long distance hiking. I have done many day hikes in jeans and cotton socks in 8 national parks. After watching hours of videos on youtube (I have watched all of Shug's videos - thankee for the tips and some mighty fine entertainment), I decided to add a hammock to my backpack rather than go with a tent :-).

I live in NY, and if you've been to Manhattan, you will observe there aren't many backyards and even fewer with trees. This is my first time hanging a hammock, and the best I could do was find a spot in Central Park.

Here's how it went down for me, and I have many thoughts and a few questions.

The trees I found were a bit closer for my setup. I have a Hennessy Expedition Zip and I got whoopieslings from Jacks R Better. After an hour of fiddling and falling on my *** the first time I got the hammock setup (no tarp, pic attached). It was sweet swaying in it and eating self made granola bars, except my view was blocked by a tree since I had the netting on the wrong side. I wish the netting would collapse closer to the hammock so I could look out both sides. Is there an easier way to do this? I am fine with modifications. I also kept hitting the ridge line to the back of my head in the sitting up position. Any way around this?

Also, while laying in the hammock, it seemed to me the hammock actually draws more heat away from the body. I felt warmer just standing around. The temp was around 55 with a slight breeze and I was in the shade. Any thoughts on this? I put a 3/4 foam pad down and was mostly okay except for my lower legs.

I have spent many hours researching and a lot of money (after many discounts) outfitting myself properly for long distance/ multi day hiking:
    1) Golite 70 L backpack,
    2) JRB top quilt (possibly a bottom quilt too!),
    3) Hennessy hammock + whoopieslings,
    4) Sleeping pads (not yet bought),
    5) down jackets,
    6) woolen base layers, gloves, socks, etc.,
    7) nylon pants,
    8) New Balance trail runners + gaiters,
    8) Dehydrator for making own meals (dehydrated meals are expensive!).
    9) Homemade bush buddy stove + Skurka's fancy feast.

I am aiming for a max base weight of 12-15 lb and keeping my setup costs under $1,500. I am a bit of a DIYer, but living in a one bedroom apartment in Manhattan just doesn't allow me to have a workshop to make my own quilts, hammocks, etc.

OK, that's all I have to spew for now :-).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss No-Seeum
    Tarp
    Aqua Quest
    Insulation
    CCF, Alpine 45 bag
    Suspension
    Webbing

Nice!

Wow, great 1st. post I have to let the experienced folks have a go at your questions, as I am in the learning category myself!! Just want to say welcome to the club and happy hanging!!!

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    When ever I have had trouble with my HH net, it is because the trees were too close together. See if you can find a group hang in your area. I highly recommend them, even if you don't stay the night or have to sleep in a tent. I almost forgot, welcome to the forums! We have a big DIY group here.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    DIY , HHASYM
    Tarp
    DIY, HH hex
    Insulation
    DIY CLMSHLD, POD
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Welcome! I'm interested in some pics from the park. I live in Valley Stream.. Nassau Queens border. No trees in my backyard either. I strongly suggest an under quilt over pads. Much more comfy and not so sweaty. Easier to get in the hammock. But as the great Shrug says it is possible and light too.

Small adjustments on your suspension height make a difference. In my Hennessey Exp. I find that hanging the foot end a couple inches higher helps to stay in the sweet spot.

In a gathered end hammock one side usually is much higher. Just swap the ends for a better view.

As far as the ridge line.... no help here as I have it happen too

Being cold is how it goes without insulation... the cool air circulates under you. On the ground you heat up the soil a little.. up in the air there is a constant resupply of cool air. You will need insulation under 75* or so. When you're standing around your clothing acts as insulation as its loose and stops the wind. Laying in a hammock the layers become tightly compressed under your body weight and give you nothing... making it down right cold!

Hope this helps. You seem to have done a lot of research already. Lots of good folks here with lots of know how!

Jason
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people THINK your stupid than to open it and PROVE it" - SFC Kagawa, United States Army (my old platoon SGT)
    *Originally -Abraham Lincoln 16th president of US (1809 -1865)

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

A hiking newbie testing a hammock in Central Park, NYC

Welcome from Florida!
    You have done your research well, judging by your gear list.
    That air circulating beneath you sucks the warmth right out of you without insulation on the bottom of the hammock, either pacs or an under quilt. Of course, that can be a good thing on a hot, sultry day. Thanks for sharing the pictures with us. Any chance of posting your granola bar recipe? They look delicious!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Came with HH
    Insulation
    JRB TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Whoopieslings
    Thanks to all for the very warm welcome. Wow!

Jason, you are probably right about the insulation working better standing. It really took me by surprise, more so than when I fell on my *** after the first attempt :-). Not sure what you are looking for in terms of pictures. I was the only one in a hammock, and I wasn't trying to get noticed.

Mike, thanks. That was my first granola attempt and they came out well. This is the recipe I started out with:
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

I had
    only half the honey,
    substituted light brown sugar for the dark,
    used dried sweet cranberries,
    salted butter,
    salted & roasted sunflower seeds,
    and left out the salt.

In the end, it worked out great. The bars weren't too sweet and the tartness from the cranberries was just right.

• + New Posts