Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images

Question Gear Loaning Program?

I was talking with angrysparrow the other day via PM. I told him that I just bought a piece of gear from the For Sale section here on HF and I sold another piece of gear at the same time. He laughed and said it was like musical chairs for gear. That gave me an idea.....

How about a system where a HF member offer up a piece of gear like a hammock, under quilt, tarp, etc. Any piece of gear really, DIY or manufactured. Other members who would like to try out that particular piece of gear would sign up on a list. The first person on the list gets sent the item, we'll say a hammock for arguments sake. They use that hammock for a predetermined period of time, and they then send that hammock on to the next person on the list. And so on and so on. This whole thing would basically be hinged on the honor system, assuming that everyone will pass on the gear when their time comes. I have faith that the members here would have no problems (or I wouldn't have suggested this).

There would of course have to be set of rules, guidelines, stipulations, and/or minimum requirements. We would also need to develop a system of listing and tracking the gear that's available and a waiting list for each piece of gear.

Let's all put our heads together and see if we could put together some sort of system. Here are a few things I'm thinking about.

1. System is not free. Someone who gets loaned a piece of gear must pay the freight to the next person on the list. I'm thinking insured Priority Mail. No other fees except for the freight.

2. Have a time limit on trying out a piece of gear. I'm thinking you get it for 2-3 weeks and then you MUST pass it on to the next person. If there is no one else on the list waiting for that item you may keep the item longer, or return it to the owner.

3. You will be responsible for anything that gets loaned to you. If something gets damaged while in your possession, be it an act of God or personal fault, you must replace or pay for that item.

4. Loaned items are not for sale. It someone likes an item they must either buy it from the manufacturer or place a WTB ad in the forums.

5. The original owner may call the loaned gear back at any time, for any reason.

What else?
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    2 Warbonnet BlackBird & Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SF+
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Sounds Great to me, but trust is an issue for some.

and ya dont have to loan if ya dont wanna..

I would make a rule about If "Mike" loans to "Tom", Mike Has to OK a Loan from "Tom" to any one else of his("Mikes") Gear.

Does that sound right?

Im gonna lay down now

Hammock
    WBBB; Bridge in progress
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Short UQ/pad combo
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I think that pictures have to be posted of the loaned item before it gets sent out. That way it can get back to the person in the same condition.

And what about possibly having HF "owning" donated gear for people to try? The gear would be in constant circulation. Would this be too much hassle?

And would the 'loaner' of the gear have to pay for the first postage or the 'loanee'? That would make it pretty complicated to send postage to the previous individual before receiving the goods. For something like this it would be easier to pay it forward, but it would make the first initial postage the responsibility of the 'loaner'.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BlackBird!!!!
    Tarp
    BIG FLY (3x4m.)
    Insulation
    SnugFit & JRB HR
    Images
    someone loan me an under quilt! I'll pay shipping!
    I would love to try one out before buying or making one so that I can come up with some personal likes and dislikes.
    I think it's a great idea.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Zparks Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    marlin/whoopie
    If I put on my economist hat for a moment then I would have to conclude we would need to do something to get around the counter-party risk issue ("I'll loan to Bob because I know he's trustworthy but not to Ted because I've never dealt with him before"). The most natural way to handle this is with some sort of collateral that the borrower would have to post to the lender with the understanding that the collateral would be returned when the item was returned.

So suppose we say that in order to participate you must have a PayPal account and that you must pay the lender some reasonable amount (but less than the value of the item) before the lender will ship the item. Then when the item is returned the money is sent back, also via PayPal.

Of course this still leaves open the possibility that the lender may pocket the money, never ship the item, and disappear. For that reason I would suggest that if we do this we ought to have one person I'll call the banker to be the holder of collateral. The borrower sends money to the banker. When the banker gets confirmation they notify the lender who ships the item. If the item is never shipped the banker returns the borrowers money. If the item is never returned the banker sends the money to the lender.

I think if we set this collateral amount right we could have a workable system. I'm thinking $50 to $100 would be a good amount.

In fact what if we used this as a fund-raiser for the board? If I borrow something and post $75 dollars to the banker (who is a senior member of the board let's say) then when I return it I get $74 back and the board keeps the $1 as a handling fee?

Just a thought.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BlackBird!!!!
    Tarp
    BIG FLY (3x4m.)
    Insulation
    SnugFit & JRB HR
    Images
    OMG! Ouch!
    Complicated.

Hammock
    hammock
    Tarp
    tarp
    Insulation
    UQ
    Images
    This is a good idea, but I wouldn't participate in it.

I just know that I'm too irresponsible to do it without seriously pissing someone off, and I don't want to do that.

I do have a suggestion though.

I suggest that you require a minimum amount of posts before you can join in. You're going to need to find some way to filter out scammers.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I guess my thought is something like this already exists. It's called the group hangs. Now admittedly some of us are not able to get to the hangs. But it seems to me that every hang I have been to, heard about.. 23 entire full outfits have shown up and been divided up amongst folks who want to check them out. Hyperbole is so much fun.

But anyway, I have things I would be willing to loan, but I want to see them in the process of set up, not to protect the gear... but to assist the person trying them out. I want to be the first to test it so I know it's hung right or adjusted right. Can't do that under the distance loan program. As folks get to know one another then personal loner items can be sent out between friends.

I'm not sure I would want a hammock newbie to set up my DIY stuff because some of it is pretty funky. Again not to protect the gear... but to make sure the newbie gets the benefit of the experience I have with it.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    2 Warbonnet BlackBird & Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SF+
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    The Hangs would be a Great spot to test and ty new gear.
    Im sure Ill get an edumakation at the Hotsprings hang, Thats why Im going!
    Im sure Ed will answer all my Snug fit questions

And to hob nob with my fellow hangers, Ya Cant beat the meet and great.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BlackBird!!!!
    Tarp
    BIG FLY (3x4m.)
    Insulation
    SnugFit & JRB HR
    Images

Good Point

Quote Originally Posted by guySmiley View Post
    I suggest that you require a minimum amount of posts before you can join in. You're going to need to find some way to filter out scammers.
    Good Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I guess my thought is something like this already exists. It's called the group hangs. Now admittedly some of us are not able to get to the hangs. But it seems to me that every hang I have been to, heard about.. 23 entire full outfits have shown up and been divided up amongst folks who want to check them out. Hyperbole is so much fun.
    I'll be at Hot Springs. Maybe I can see an Under Quilt in action!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast