Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I think the hangs make some sense. They would also screen those who are serious and intentful from others. I agree that while theoretically, from an economists perspective, the banker system might work, practically it sounds nightmareish to me. And please do not misinterpret this as being disrespectful in any way, lately economics have not been too terribly grounded in the real world. And PLEASE no one start going off on me for that statement, I want to keep this related to loaning gear.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    I agree with Ramblinrev that coming to a hang would be the way to go.

It would be awesome IF this were to happen the way it's supposed to. Unfortunately, it would be kind of unlikely that EVERYONE would play nicely, IMO. It's just that stuff happens in people's lives, and they might forget, or lose things, or suddenly find themselves in a situation where they can't afford postage.

Heck, I have trouble getting things back that I loan out to people in my family or to my neighbors!

Another advantage I can see about a hang loan is that you'd be able to see first hand how to actually set up and use the gear properly. It might help out the folks who have never seen some of this stuff before...

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I think it's a neat idea, but agree there may be some trust issues out there. How do you qualify, post count? Well, that's fine and dandy but there are some folks that just post-post-post and that doesn't make them trustworthy. On the other side are people with a low post count that I trust implicitly.

I can't think of anybody here that I wouldn't loan a piece of gear to for a test, but I don't know how happy I'd be having it go around the country till I get it back. Think I'd rather do an inspection after each 'away game'. But yeah, I've got like 12 or 14 different camping hammocks so I could spare one, maybe two.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Heber View Post

So suppose we say that in order to participate you must have a PayPal account and that you must pay the lender some reasonable amount (but less than the value of the item) before the lender will ship the item. Then when the item is returned the money is sent back, also via PayPal.

In fact what if we used this as a fund-raiser for the board? If I borrow something and post $75 dollars to the banker (who is a senior member of the board let's say) then when I return it I get $74 back and the board keeps the $1 as a handling fee?

Just a thought.
    don't forget about paypal's cut

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Sling/Web
    I think the problem is that there is a pretty active center circle of people on this board. This inner circle seems to already do this on a not so organized level. My worry would be loaning out say my wifes BB to someone outside of our little circle. Not that others aren't good people, but its easier for me to lend to someone I've met and or talk to all the time. I've been just giving stuff away lately and will most likely continue on that path, as I don't have to worry about getting back those things. It may be better if we started a Pay it Forward thread where people could post things up they don't need anymore, and others could call dibs with the stipulation that they have to post up something to Pay it Forward. Works on the Firearms board I'm on. Picked up a bunch of stuff and unloaded a bunch of stuff.
    Not the guy to ask for Directions.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WrongTurn View Post
    I think the problem is that there is a pretty active center circle of people on this board. This inner circle seems to already do this on a not so organized level.
    Indeed. Just off the top of my head, I can think of 4 different pieces of gear I have loaned out right now to members here. I don't mind that at all, and I have no problem with sharing with those that I know and talk to all the time.

I like the 'formal' gear sharing idea on it's basic principle, but once it gets past about 2 or 3 people you're looking at some serious time without that gear.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    1.1 DL Traveler
    Tarp
    Etowah 8x10
    Insulation
    AHE Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Maybe a requirement would be that you have to go to a certain amount of hangs before you could participate.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Maybe what is bothering me about this is the simple scale of it all. You know if someone in the Mid Atlantic area said hey... lets do this I would not feel so ambivalent. But on an international scale... and let's face it we are an international board, not just in theory but in reality I just feel like it is too much for a cyber entity to deal with. If it had some roots then maybe I would respond differently. I like the idea... it's the scale that gives me pause.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    This is an awesome idea but like someone mentioned trust is the key factor here.

My suggestion would be to have a check, money or some type of collateral sent to the owner of the piece of gear and when the gear is returned the check gets ripped up or the money returned.

Hammock
    2 Warbonnet BlackBird & Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SF+
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    As it it we already do this.
    its just that the ones who do trade or lend know or have known the other party for a while.

I feel this is going to be the norm, the more we talk to each other and meet at hangs it will get a lot easier to let your prize toys go off with some one.

we all like to think that folks are like us and have high moral character
    and are responsible.
    BUT it only take one mishap to cause shock waves threw the closest families.

Trust is the big hurtle, it is a good Idea and it is in practice already. Its up to the owner to decide who they are comfortable loaning to

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast