WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Mointainfly
    Insulation
    WB Yeti UQ
    Suspension
    WB whoopie slings

Mount Rogers High Country Loop

I'm planning a 2 day hike in the Mount Rogers National Recreation Area, probably June 9-10 or 10-11. Starting at Grayson Highlands State Park I'll take the spur up to the Appallachian Trail and hike a loop (approx 11 miles) using the Pine Mountain Trail as a connector on the northwest leg. Haven't decided whether to do this clockwise or counter, though I'm leaning counter to save Wilburn Ridge for day two.

My question is:
    Are there good places to hang along the AT within a mile or two of Scales (the approx midpoint)? My hiking companion is not a hanger, so he'll need a spot suitable for a 1-man tent.

I was last there 11 years ago on a dayhike and I seem to recall some forest along that section of the AT, but I'm hoping someone here has better intel than my fuzzy recollection and perhaps knows a prime spot along this route.

I'll probably be a little early for peak rhodo bloom, but my date range is uinlikely to change.

Hammock
    wbbb XLC
    Tarp
    CubenWinter Palace
    Insulation
    Down TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    single ring
    Images
    I just completed that very same loop this weekend with TallPaul, Medicine Man and Poof. We went CCW. There is a piped spring at Scales at the fence to the right of the gate.I found a nice camping spot about a mile past Scales on the right down a steep bank. There was a running spring and good spots for a tent. I'm sure there are enough trees nearby to hang from. When you continue on the Pine Mountain trail there will be no water. There is a very nice spring on the Crest trail just beyond the AT Pine Mountain junction. We had a terrible time finding trees to hang from by that spring. Your idea about hanging a mile or so from Scales is perfect IMO.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Mointainfly
    Insulation
    WB Yeti UQ
    Suspension
    WB whoopie slings
    Bonepile, that is exactly the kind of info I was looking for -- you rock

Hammock
    wbbb XLC
    Tarp
    CubenWinter Palace
    Insulation
    Down TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    single ring
    Images
    Hope that helps you. Let us have a trip report, we had a wonderful time on that loop.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I agree with leaving Wilburn Ridge till later & doing it counter clockwise. I mean probably either would be fine but I really liked ending the trip coming down Wilburn.

Going counterclockwise from Scales, you can either take the AT, or the Crest trail.
    The AT is goes thru some great forest, and past some sites that BonePile mentioned. It pops out to views every so often. The other option is the Crest trail. This will have more views as it crosses open ridgelines , but you'll be open to the elements (sun, wind, etc). It is also open to horses, so the tread isn't as good. The nice part is the Crest trail parallels the AT & Pine, so if you wanted you can move try them both.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Mointainfly
    Insulation
    WB Yeti UQ
    Suspension
    WB whoopie slings
    Looking at the map I can see how the Crest Trail roughly parallels (and somewhat shortcuts) my planned route, but since the campsite Boneplie mentioned is downhill from the AT a mile past Scales, that will be our overnight destination. To ensure I don't miss it, let me know if there are any specific landmarks I should look for (or a gps coordinate).

We'll be spending the rest of the week in Linville Gorge & Wilson Creek, NC. There is no straight route to get there from Chicago, and as I was studying the map I noticed Breaks Interstate Park beyond Kentucky's Mountain Parkway, then Mount Rogers as a good stop on the way into NC. I've always wanted to check out Breaks, so we'll spend a few hours there. My memory of Mount Rogers is pretty darn close to heaven. My wife and I (and our yellow lab Hunny) were there 11 years ago at the peak of rhodo bloom; the weather was perfect, the views magnificent, and the wild ponies elevated my perspective, so to speak. 11 years is too long to be away from such a great place, regardless of how long the drive is.

I'll be travelling with a buddy this time, while my wife stays home with Hunny (who is too old to travel). Our beloved dog has been on countless hikes in many states over the years, and tomorrow we're celebrating a half-birthday for her: 16.5 years, a very advanced age for a big dog like a yellow lab. I wonder if any of the ponies she saw 11 years ago are still there.

Hammock
    wbbb XLC
    Tarp
    CubenWinter Palace
    Insulation
    Down TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    single ring
    Images
    I don't remember any specific land marks for the campsite I mentioned. It was pretty obvious right next to the trail down on the right side. Seems like it was a mile from scales.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Bonepile & I weren't hiking together when he saw this campsite but I recall the one he is talking about.. on the right side of the trail.

If that one happens to be taken, here are a couple alternatives.
    If you cut over from the Pine trail to the Crest trail where the Lewis Fork trail junctions with these, and head southbound on the Crest trail a little farther, there is a nice set of trees and flat area. You'll know you are there as there are posts for hitching a horse. There is also a sign nearby for water - I couldn't find the water but I was on a schedule so didn't have to long to look.
    Another option..at the northern junction of the AT & Pine trail, you'll be near the open ridgelines. If you hiked clockwise back along the Crest Trail a bit, I saw some areas that looked like they had good trees. Not familiar if there is water here so you'd need to bring what you needed from Scales.

Images
    Going next week.

I have almost no plans LOL.

I'm leaving Monday and packing for 3 nights. I'm going to kind of wing it.

I'll add a few questions while we're talking about the trip.

I have the NatGeo map, any reason I shouldn't just cutout the inset that actually covers the area at 1:30000 and ignore the rest. It seems pretty useless except that one part.

Any idea what the park fees are to use the Overnight backpacker's lot? Are there limits?
    VA's park service websites are pretty sad and confusing IMO.

Hammock
    wbbb XLC
    Tarp
    CubenWinter Palace
    Insulation
    Down TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    single ring
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gqgeek81 View Post
    Going next week.

I have almost no plans LOL.

I'm leaving Monday and packing for 3 nights. I'm going to kind of wing it.

I'll add a few questions while we're talking about the trip.

I have the NatGeo map, any reason I shouldn't just cutout the inset that actually covers the area at 1:30000 and ignore the rest. It seems pretty useless except that one part.

Any idea what the park fees are to use the Overnight backpacker's lot? Are there limits?
    VA's park service websites are pretty sad and confusing IMO.
    I just cut out that part of the map, no need for the rest. The fees for overnigt parking are $2.00 for weeknights, and $3.00 Saturday and Sunday, even if you don't spend Sunday night you pay the $3.00

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast