Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator; Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies

MO HANG 5 - OT Thru Hike - Trip Report!

It was the toughest 3-day trip I've ever done. 30 miles of MO's toughest trail in the worst weather conditions MO has to offer. We all made it out alive though, we all learned some good gear lessons, and we still had a great time.

We met Friday at 8am at the Taum Sauk Mt. parking lot, then piled into my Jeep and drove over to the Hwy A trail to start our trip. It had been raining all morning already and showed no signs of stopping. It was also just above the freezing mark.
    We set off on the OT at the base of Bell Mt.. Trail conditions were the worst I've ever seen. We were basically wading up a creek flowing down the rocky trail.
    We made it about 6 miles before we had to stop at Padfield Branch. It was swollen out of it's banks and moving too swiftly for us to cross safely. We decided to call it a day, hang there, and check the water level in the morning.
    Temps hovered near the freezing point and the rain continued all night.
    Saturday was a good day. We awoke to rays of sun and the Branch was back to within a safe crossing level. Our situation was looking up. We had lots of dry time on Saturday and got to see the incredibly full Johnson Shut-Ins. We had a nice lunch there near the park store, which carried a nice assortment of ice creams and sodas! (My beer bread was pretty darn good too.)
    From the Shut-ins we were forced out to the highway and up the road a mile or so to pick up the Scour trail because the Black River was impassible at the OT crossing. The Scour is a site to see. The devastation caused by the old reservoir rupture, and the new massive reservoir were incredible to see up close. This is a great place to hang.
    We were dry, but we had 29* and frost Saturday night into Sunday morning.
    Our dry times were over, though, when we started to see the fog and rain roll in and we tried to finish breakfast and break camp Sunday morning. Just as we hit the trail Sunday, the skies opened up. We trudged through the muck and pouring rain all day Sunday with temps again not far above freezing. Snow even fell for a brief moment.
    With all the poor weather, we managed to enjoy the hike and the rest of the scenery to be had along this section of trail. We all enjoyed the Devil's Tollgate, the mighty Mina Sauk Falls, and the highest point in MO, Taum Sauk Mt..
    We concluded our trip where it began, wet, battered and tired, but we had a great time, the company was great, and we all learned a lot.

Post up the pics guys!
    With beauty all around you, may you walk.

Hammock
    Darien UL, Ridgerunner, DIY
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ,TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie sling

pictures

I will try and post the full report and video as soon as I can- thanks to all the guys for a great time

IMG_0596.jpg
    IMG_0589.jpg
    "nature speaks in the silence between words"
    www.mustexplore.blogspot.com

Hammock
    Darien UL, Ridgerunner, DIY
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ,TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie sling

and more

and the rest of the crew
    IMG_0592.jpg
    IMG_0591.jpg
    "nature speaks in the silence between words"
    www.mustexplore.blogspot.com

Hammock
    Darien ul
    Tarp
    HG winter palace
    Insulation
    Sniv/HG incubato 0
    Suspension
    dutch woopie hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco View Post
    It was the toughest 3-day trip I've ever done. 30 miles of MO's toughest trail in the worst weather conditions MO has to offer. We all made it out alive though, we all learned some good gear lessons, and we still had a great time.

We met Friday at 8am at the Taum Sauk Mt. parking lot, then piled into my Jeep and drove over to the Hwy A trail to start our trip. It had been raining all morning already and showed no signs of stopping. It was also just above the freezing mark.
    We set off on the OT at the base of Bell Mt.. Trail conditions were the worst I've ever seen. We were basically wading up a creek flowing down the rocky trail.
    We made it about 6 miles before we had to stop at Padfield Branch. It was swollen out of it's banks and moving too swiftly for us to cross safely. We decided to call it a day, hang there, and check the water level in the morning.
    Temps hovered near the freezing point and the rain continued all night.
    Saturday was a good day. We awoke to rays of sun and the Branch was back to within a safe crossing level. Our situation was looking up. We had lots of dry time on Saturday and got to see the incredibly full Johnson Shut-Ins. We had a nice lunch there near the park store, which carried a nice assortment of ice creams and sodas! (My beer bread was pretty darn good too.)
    From the Shut-ins we were forced out to the highway and up the road a mile or so to pick up the Scour trail because the Black River was impassible at the OT crossing. The Scour is a site to see. The devastation caused by the old reservoir rupture, and the new massive reservoir were incredible to see up close. This is a great place to hang.
    We were dry, but we had 29* and frost Saturday night into Sunday morning.
    Our dry times were over, though, when we started to see the fog and rain roll in and we tried to finish breakfast and break camp Sunday morning. Just as we hit the trail Sunday, the skies opened up. We trudged through the muck and pouring rain all day Sunday with temps again not far above freezing. Snow even fell for a brief moment.
    With all the poor weather, we managed to enjoy the hike and the rest of the scenery to be had along this section of trail. We all enjoyed the Devil's Tollgate, the mighty Mina Sauk Falls, and the highest point in MO, Taum Sauk Mt..
    We concluded our trip where it began, wet, battered and tired, but we had a great time, the company was great, and we all learned a lot.

Post up the pics guys!
    Great trip report disco, Im so proud of you guys that took alot of Intestinal fortitude to do what you guy did. Sounds like the trip was a great test of your guys ability and equipment.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    BCUSA 12x10
    Insulation
    DIY IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    GPS showed about 31 miles in total. Massive elevation gains and losses. By far the toughest terrain I have hiked and the worst weather. Made for a great trip. Wife thinks I am an idiot. Attached up a quick GPS track. Vid will take a bit longer.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hammock
    Gathered End
    Tarp
    Still Looking
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I just wanted say again how great of a time I had on this hike and I finally was able to complete this section of the OT I tried once before on my own and failed.

Gideon, once you settle into the new place in Ohio and are looking for someone to hike with just let me know I will find time to make the trip.

Disco, thanks for setting up another wonderful hike for the MO Hang group this could not of worked without your help. PS I already forgot the bread recipe.

Skygzr, I had a blast hiking with you I don't know how long you have been Hammocking, but you sure have a vast knowledge of information and I look forward to our next hike together

Spiffyguy, I am glad that we had a chance to hike together. It may have been wet and cold all weekend, but you always had a smile on your face and it helped lift my spirits and kept me trekking on.

Momedic, sorry things didn't work out for you and your wife on this hike, but I was glad that you stuck around so we all got a chance to meet. I am looking forward to getting to hike with you and your wife on the next group hang.

Hammock
    Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator; Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Disco's Soon-to-be-world-famous Beer Bread:

3 cups of self rising flour
    1/4 cup sugar
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    12oz Budweiser

Mix all ingredients into a dough. Put it in a greased loaf pan.
    Bake at 375 for 45 minutes, take out of the oven and spread a little butter on top then sprinkle a little cinnamon on top.
    Bake for about 5-10 minutes more or until top is golden.
    take out of pan, let cool for 10 minutes or so.

tastes great with Justin's Honey Almond butter!

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Sounds like you guys had a time to remember...once you get dry and warm again.

Congrats.

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    Great job guys . The demands on the body must have been pretty high.
    How did the rain gear function at those temperatures? were you just as wet on the inside from sweat? Cant wait to see the trip video that Skygzr is famous for.
    So who was the fire starter in those drenched conditions? Must have been a challenge.

Hammock
    Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator; Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I had a poncho, so there was plenty of air flow. All the other guys had full suits, so they can chime in on any sweat issues. We didn't even attempt fires.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast