Hammock
    ENO Doublenest (Khaki/Olive)
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly (Olive)
    Insulation
    None yet
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Mouseskowitz, I'm going to hit West Marine this weekend and get the right stuff. Messing with the DYMAX and Spectra gave me some good whoopie making practice. I know what I used will be plenty strong enough, but I want to make a set out of the "right stuff".

Just trying to decide between 7/64" or 1/8". I weigh in at 212 lbs so I'm leaning towards a little overkill.

Hammock
    Diy gathered end/Fronkey bugnet
    Tarp
    Diy 11x10 w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY synth TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroTolerance View Post
    Mouseskowitz, I'm going to hit West Marine this weekend and get the right stuff. Messing with the DYMAX and Spectra gave me some good whoopie making practice. I know what I used will be plenty strong enough, but I want to make a set out of the "right stuff".

Just trying to decide between 7/64" or 1/8". I weigh in at 212 lbs so I'm leaning towards a little overkill.
    For some, even at your weight(and more), the 7/64 is still a little overkill. Check out Sgt Rock's "your gonna die" fun. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch-bq...yer_detailpage
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

My fantastic Photographer wife: http://www.capturedhearts-photography.com

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroTolerance View Post

There are guys that probably have 100 lbs on you that are using 7/64. I have about 30 lbs on you and have no worries. Your weak point will be the lark's head attaching you whoopies to the hammock. So, with a reduction of strength by about 40% you are still left with a rating of 960 lbs. At your weight that will give you a safety factor of 4.5, plenty good for hanging 18" off the ground in my opinion.

If you're interested in more information on the characteristics and performance of Amsteel and similar lines, check out the paper I linked in this thread.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    For some, even at your weight(and more), the 7/64 is still a little overkill. Check out Sgt Rock's "your gonna die" fun. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch-bq...yer_detailpage
    Hang your own hang. Nobody should be told being too safe, as though a couple of ounces saved would creates a transcendental experience not to be missed in his lifetime. Safety engineers want a load factor of 10-15 for human weight bearing. I have and would again use 450BS rated soft-shackles for myself, rather than (try to) sleep on the ground. I am not surprised that, with a load factor of > 1, I did not drop, but I would not recommend them to anyone else.

You will find in the rescue trade, that it is hard to always achieve that load factor / ratio of maximum load to BS. Fair enough, but they're pros and in emergency situations.