Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge

Setup Videos for the Town's End Big Guy and Luxury Bridge

Shot a short series of videos to better show off the bridges, show how they should be hung, how to set them up the first time, and some tips tricks and features.

Now that I finally figured out how to do this, I'll keep adding to this playlist with additional videos as they become available.

PS- please do not stand in your bridge

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...XluV6i83nB1LZG

This link seems to be working better to take you to the full playlist.

But here is a direct link to video 1 if you prefer.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    It was pointed out to me that if you just wanted to see the darn thing you gotta get through 10 videos, lol.
    These are intended for customers but if you simply want to check it out and see our gorgeous model using the bridge here's that video

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Thanks for the videos! Should be helpful the next few days!

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by Peppy View Post
    Thanks for the videos! Should be helpful the next few days!
    Yar- just try not to pace back an forth in the bridge too much if you end up stuck on an UQ mod.

That's the perty brown one you would have gotten if you didn't get the more photogenic and just as perty Olive Yellow.

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    I've got a working plan but need to see it in person first. I'm thinking 4 Prussic knots on the Amsteel on the corners with a long leader. I can make a loop on the end and hook up the biners from the quilt to that and adjust. Might not work, but if it does, it would allow me to slide the quilt up or down depending on particular way I wanted to lay. If all that fails, hammock pacing may come into play.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Taking a quick look again at Paul's (though they are both named Paul aren't they, lol).

Arrowhead- the Ridge Creek XL looks like the best bet.
    UGQ- The Ambush is a full length, probably same size basically.

Looks like the same attachment method really.

I would simply start with the quilt loops I sent (little 3" diameter shock cord) and prussic them on each dogbone and clip on.

The very ends of my bridge are not secured to the amsteel so they can be smashed down a hair if needed to get those attachment points as wide as possible.

The hardest thing with my bridge is taking care of odd balls and folks who slip, slide and shift all night. There's nearly 8'6 of bridge to use; but as much as I was showing all the options at some point most people find a spot they like and stick with it. Belly sleeping is really one of the trickier fittings to make since you're hanging off the end. For that you might need extentensions.
    I'd guess for a standard... more or less centered back or side sleeper it will be easy enough and just clipping to prussic loops and sliding will do it as that's worked for regular quilts.

Worst case I sent you 25' of shock cord if you wanted to try completely running a new set of primary suspension. Being able to slide the quilt would let you move to various parts of the bridge without getting out... but that's probably overkill.

Doing a secondary at the head end up to the ridgeline 'picks up' the quilt if you're having an issue getting a seal there.

I sent you some mini binder clips too. Since both of these have a cat cut side it probably won't be needed- but those come in handy with a regular UQ to pinch shut the middle if things aren't sealing well there (I need it for the EE revolt, but not for the incubator.

Hammock
    HG 10’ w/net
    Tarp
    Anything with door
    Insulation
    HQ 20*/40* UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    Tree straps to con
    Don't know if anyone has asked, but with the height of swing on the spreader bars when getting in and out what is the recommended matched tarp?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    JustBill's Biggy Deluxe
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    Zepp/LL Ghost Pepr
    Images
    It fits well under a WB Superly.
    But for the grace of God, there, I go...

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by Need2noCallahan View Post
    Don't know if anyone has asked, but with the height of swing on the spreader bars when getting in and out what is the recommended matched tarp?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    SHORT ANSWER-
    Based upon testers and early adopter feedback:
    Warbonnet Superfly and Mambajamba
    UGQ Winter Dream or 12' hex.
    DIY tarps with a 12' RL.
    Old Man Winter from Wilderness Logics
    Monster Fly from Mountain Wilderness Gear

Pole mods are popular with most of these tarps anyway, but help if you're looking for a tighter pitch.
    One simple trick if you're in porch mode is to sit in the bridge from the side opposite the porch too for bigger guys.

LONG ANSWER-

I was being a bit dramatic in the videos to emphasize two points:
    1- I have realized over the years that the most common cause of failure or damage is when you reach across the bridge to get in. People try to enter the bridge a bit like a bed and reach across to the opposite side. They sort of side sit butt first. This puts many off balance and they tend to 'fall' into the bridge. What can happen is your butt traps the near side and your hand shoves/jerks the far side if you lose your balance. This movement increases the chances of popping a pole out quite a bit and also gets the bridge rocking pretty dramatically. In part because these are so balanced they will rock for quite some time if you get in roughly even if you don't dislodge the pole.

2-These were made for Big Guys; one of their chief concerns was the ease of which they could get in and out of the bridge. I had also sold one of these to a disabled vet just an hour before I shot these so I might have been thinking of his concerns a bit too much as well. But- being able to sit right on the edge as I showed is the most secure and stable way to enter for those with poor balance, a disability, or who need to keep it smooth and steady due to weight, ailments, injuries, or just plain old getting old. This method lets you sit on the very edge a bit like a park bench and scoot your butt in or out without sinking in, falling, or being out of control.

The point being- if you enter/sit more like you would a chair- with your butt 6-10 inches into the bridge the poles rise roughly half the distance. And if you're not doing gymnastics showing off your bridge it won't move around as much either as it did when I was flipping around. So with some practice, most users can enter the bridge much less dramatically with little or no movement even in a pretty tightly pitched tarp.

But until you feel comfortable I do suggest some bungie/shock cord or even poorly set stakes so just in case you mess up while you're learning you won't do any damage. Putting your stake in upright, vs tipped away from the guyline and avoiding a drum tight pitch will go a long way to helping with any user error during the learning curve. Most people are new to bridges, especially the Big Guys as they've never had the opportunity before. So I also strongly encourage using these around the house and in fair weather to get settled in before you go too nuts.

In fair weather many like their tarp quite high and open regardless, but if you need to batten down the hatches, you can enter the bridge fairly easily.

Also- the pole tips are much smoother than people envision. If nothing else we can point to the many ridgerunner threads discussing the 'potential' for tarp damage or rubbing that nobody seems to have actually had happen.

But your question is a perfectly valid one; others have asked and testers have tackled the issue to general success. It's definitely something to be aware of but I'd say 95% of folks have worked it out.

As for me personally- this is a new product. I can't claim a decade of use working out all the kinks before going to market. This literally started with Mark here on the forum asking if somebody could please make this happen and me stretching my micro and medium bridge experience out to give it a shot. So quite a few kinks to work out yet to be blunt. The bridge itself and a bugnet were not commercially available. Tarps and quilts... there are options... perhaps a few compromises- but it can get done. Several folks just picked up a 10x14 blue cheapie to get them out with plenty of coverage. So the efforts thus far have been just to get these in people's hands who can use them. I've got several home sleepers/full timers which is pretty amazing given the small group thus far.

I still tell folks to try other things first; they are cheaper, better established, and 'off the shelf'. I lose quite a few sales that way but for those of you who have tried the other options and this is it... "this gear's for you". I mean it.

It's not for me, though I am enjoying it, this isn't gear I would have ever designed for myself. I don't use tarps the way many do and use a stakeless system so in my micro and medium bridges the tarp moves with me when I get in or out. I've got more of a UL background and tend to go pretty minimal. Though turns out building the world's lightest bridge is the key to building the highest weight capacity bridges too.

I haven't staked a tarp out in a few years personally over several hundred nights of use. I am working on adapting my system to this bridge but that's a way off. The point being- I'm learning too on this product and working it out as we go. It's been super rewarding though working on this, to the point I have set many other products aside to work on it because I really enjoy hearing from folks who have been sidelined from trips or just plain uncomfortable camping. It is a much different style than my own and pushing a bit of my limited knowledge base regarding hammock use to get some of these items sorted out. It's one thing to make something for yourself and then sell it to others... a totally different thing to design solely for someone else- but very rewarding too. As much as possible I try to be honest with anyone and don't mind saying- I don't know. Especially with this one. I know bridges, but not necessarily all the things a more traditional hanger might as far as other companies gear. I make my own after all, lol.

I don't normally post the micro bridge but to give you an idea in this folder of pictures there is my summer and winter tarp system that I use. It is stakeless, self enclosed, and attaches to the rest of the suspension. You can tie it out into some different modes but I rarely do. I carry a stake or two but never end up using them. I like bing, bang, boom. Set up the tree straps and be done. Light, fast, simple. So even the concept of setting up a tarp for a hammock on it's own is a bit of a new one for me, lol. It's also a reason I don't do socks or overcovers- in the winter my tarp system seals up like a bivy would to keep weight down and things simple. So while the Big Guys are a priority- I hope to turn this into a truly field worthy setup in a backpackable package at some point here too.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Apygyt54yYPwgvMVcQ_BWQyBxS2a0A

Hammock
    JustBill's Biggy Deluxe
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    Zepp/LL Ghost Pepr
    Images
    That tarp is intriguing. I'd like to learn more about it some time. That and CF poles could turn this hammock into a serious hiking system.
    But for the grace of God, there, I go...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast