Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    WB SF, soon HG WP
    Insulation
    HG incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Clark XL rain fly leaking?

Howdy everyone. I have been a lurker for quite awhile and I finally took the plunge and purchased an NX-250 as my first hammock. I made 2 trips in late fall last year with no rain or bad weather. We moved and I now have my 250 set up on the side of the house tweaking and playing with it trying to get the most comfortable hang. I'm also testing my comfortabililty with different bags and clothing and outside temps. I have had a couple nights of light rain and had absolutely no issues (BTW I love this thing, it is so comfortable). Tonight we had thunder storms and a torrential down poor for a good 2 hours. I have my XL rain fly set up with a continuous ridge line under it and all along the seam in the middle water dipped on my hammock. I thought maybe it was just running down the ridge line, so I moved the ridge line over, wiped the bottom with a towel and watched. Within 3-4 mins it started dripping again along that seam. Should I have seam sealed it? Is this normal? Do I somehow have it set up incorrectly? Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike
    Last edited by Mjprohoroff; 05-07-2013 at 10:34.

I have the same tarp, it has had many rains, some storms, and has never given this problem. I believe this is the first I remember anyone having this issue with this tarp. I would contact Clark and see if they can't offer some information. On another thought, is there any chance that the tarp could have gotten a puncture along the ridgeline? At night a flash light shined on the outside should show a hole, even a pinhole, from inside the tarp, worth a try.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    I've had these minor leaks with Clark tarps:

Before reading, understand that I think they are as good as any tarp offered, and in some respects better designed and executed.

First. the nylon-plastic swivel sewn into the ridgeline may need seam sealing. But, you probably don't have one.

Second, the hem on one, at least, fills with water. I squeegee it out between a pair of fingers in 30 seconds. Clark hems are generous in size. I could seam seal a whole lot of feet of stitching, but then, it may just be harder to squeegee the water out, and that water is no problem

Your problem: It may be that running the ridgeline underneath is causing it.

Per other threads, mix your own silicone sealant, use seam seal for sil nylon, or find the Permatex product to seal windshields. It flows very well.

And come back and tell us about the rest of your experience with the NX-250.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    WB SF, soon HG WP
    Insulation
    HG incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thank you both for the replies. I'll check with a flashlight tonight.
    Demo, I was thinking the ridgeline under the tarp might be causing the issue. The crl touches the tarp along its entire length, is that how it should be or is there a way to get some separation. I have read many of ur posts and it seems like u have a ton of experience with the Clark's. Do you use a continuous ridgeline or just tie off each end? If I keep the CRL do I need to have some sort of drip line just inside the tarp? I like the idea of the ridge line for drying clothes and hanging a light, but would I be better suited coming off my hammock suspension or just a dedicated line elevated between the tarp and the hammock? Sorry for the rapid fire questions. .
    I don't think my tarp has any swivels, just the 8 plastic attachment points at the corners. Thank you for the tip on the sealants, I want to make sure it's not just the way I have ridge line set up 1st, if its still an issue Ill try sealing it.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Some would rather their tarps not be in contact with a continuous ridg-eline: just reporting what I've read here and on other boards. Others, who want a continuous ridgeline hang their tarps from that ridgeline with prusics or similar. Makes for easy centering and adjustment of tension.

Per the Jacks, serious tarp hangers, and maybe Warbonnetguy and many others, tarps should not be cranked across to create tension, so there's no need for support underneath to protect the seam, because nobody is keel-hauling the ridgeline tight with 50kg /100lb of force. (The rest of that advice is to hang the ridgeline just tight, and then create the rest of the tension with the guylines.)

I preferred to use a ridgeline underneath one rain-fly by a serious craftsman, because that way the serious saddle / "catenary curve" designed or built-in was mitigated. Nice tarp, but I minded the loss of head-room unless I could hold the middle up.

Because this the Clark sub-forum I hasten to add that there IS a serious saddle designed into the old standard and maybe XL rain-flys from 2010 and earlier I admire and use. But that saddle point was well toward the foot end of the hammock.

Regarding that secondary use of the ridgeline as clothes / gear line. Yes, it sure is the conduit to drip-lines if there's any leakage /seepage !! <grin>. So, why, not but for the bother and one more ounce hang a line just for that purpose. Its height can then be independent --but less than-- the headroom of the tarp. Or make secondary use of a structural ridgeline? (which will have to be attached at 10+" beyond each NX end in order to clear the hoops.)
    Last edited by DemostiX; 05-08-2013 at 00:36.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    WB SF, soon HG WP
    Insulation
    HG incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thank you for the advice! I'm going to try the tarp just tied at the ends and a separate ridgeline. I think I'll try both as structural and just a hanger by its self.
    Thx!

• + New Posts