Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    0 and 30 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

Guardian Bugnet / Tarp Set Up

I got my ENO Guardian Bugnet last week and finally got it out today to test it out. I learned a great way to resolve the issue of the ends opening under pressure when you get in the hammock by the video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s83ZTphVgJk

I basically did the same thing but with a few different twists (I have the stock suspension and a set of Atlas Straps):

First off I apologize for the poor quality images, they were taken with my Blackberry...

This is my set up with my fly inside a set of Snakeskins, already attached to a ridge line via prusik knots on either end

I've attached the tarp to the prusiks via 2 steel rings (very strong). My tarp hangs UNDER the tarp ridge line (red cord), but I have added a single line of cord that runs on the underside of the tarp (yellow cord). I use this for a place to hang gear:

I threw out that piece of white cord that comes with the Guardian BN and instead I hooked the middle 3 hooks to the yellow ridge line that I have on the underside of my tarp (you can see them at the top right of the picture). I then hooked the 2 outside hooks to a prusik on each end of the hammock suspension, and simply cinched the toggle and closed up each end of the netting around the hammock:

Here's a shot of the system all together:

It seems to work really well and doesn't put any excess strain on any one part of the rig. The only issue is that now I don't have a ridge line above me to hang stuff when I'm in the hammock, but there's always the bag that the EN comes in that's attached to the hammock itself.

I was just looking at buying the ENO Guardian. I live in Tennessee and I don't really hike much, just hanging out sometimes. Do you like it?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    0 and 30 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I can't honestly say yet as I have not yet tried it out on an overnight or anything. I use the hammock all the time for camping (both for sleeping in and as a chair) so I'm curious to see how the Guardian Bugnet works. Based on the little trial I did today I think it is going to work well. I certainly won't use it in the fall or spring but once the bugs come out I think it will do as it's intended.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    Guardian bug net
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images
    Just my $0.02.
    I have one and it's "okay". You're going to want a fan inside the net in the summer. In the spring/fall you might even be comfortable down into the 60s with nothing more than your clothes because it blocks the wind so well. Keeps the bugs out though.
    If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    0 and 30 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Ya for the few minutes I tried it out, I did notice a big difference in the temps. There was a cool breeze out and it was hot inside the hammock with the bugnet....Might make for some uncomfortable humid nights...

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    Guardian bug net
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveE View Post
    Ya for the few minutes I tried it out, I did notice a big difference in the temps. There was a cool breeze out and it was hot inside the hammock with the bugnet....Might make for some uncomfortable humid nights...
    Been there, done that. No "might" about it. When the night temps are in the 80s and the humidity is too, expect to be hot, sweaty and generally uncomfortable. Even setting the tarp high and angling so it keeps the "tree droppings" off but allows the heat out doesn't help much, if at all. All sniveling aside though, there were clouds of mozzies outside and none inside.
    If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    0 and 30 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I guess that's the trade-off eh? Since posting this I've been lookign around a bit for a small fan I could use inside to at least move the air around a bit. Even withough the bug net I've had lots of humid, sticky nights where I would have loved to have a bit of moving air...

• + New Posts