Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Grandtrunk Nano7
    Tarp
    5.5x7.5 Silnylon
    Suspension
    amsteel & webbing

Need to upgrade my tarp

I'm currently using a Marmot 3P foot print as a Hammock tarp and need to switch to something lighter. The tarp is 5.5ft x 7.5 ft and has served me well for several years over my hammock, under my tent, and pitched with a trekking pole but its way too heavy to be as small as it is.

I'm pretty much sold on the idea of making a DIY silnylon rig. I am going to make it a rectangle so it's easily pitched with a trekking pole for tarp camping but also good for hammocks. I know that it won't be as good over a hammock as a hex but I need it to serve multiple purposes.

My question is what size should I make it? I'm thinking 5x9 is what I should go with. Does any one have experience hanging under a 5x9 trap pitched diagonally? can a narrow tarp provide enough rain protection? Am I better off going 6x8? 7x9? 8x10?

let me know what you think!
    Last edited by zitremedy1; 05-07-2013 at 17:44. Reason: typo

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images

Re: Need to upgrade my tarp

There are loads of people who like an small tarp pitched asym like you are thinking. I haven't used one but it is considered more of a fair weather tarp as it doesn't provide the same coverage as a hex or larger rectangular tarp but I have seen people claiming that they can get pretty good protection with a bit of practice.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Depends on lots O stuff.

Are you going top of the line gram wise and minimalist? Or just upgrading a step or two?

Do you intend on ever upgrading the GT? I started out there and did pretty quickly.

If you do that length might come into play pretty quick should you wish to go wider and longer for the better lay with a 10.5 or 11'. This would make most small or short tarps extremely marginal.

DIY Gear Supply will be able to help. They have all the materials you might need, as well as plans for several different sizes and styles you can DL, and work from.

There are a couple threads worth searching on making waterproof Silnylon, if that is your intention as well. Good Luck and remember we love to see pics!
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Grandtrunk Nano7
    Tarp
    5.5x7.5 Silnylon
    Suspension
    amsteel & webbing
    I am planning to order 30d Silnylon Ripstop 2nds from DIYGearSupply, so I guess that's a just a step or two. Cuben or other options seem to costly and I am fine with not having the absolute lightest option; my current tarp is small and heavy I just want less small and light.

I can't see venturing away from my GT. I kinda love it. I've weathered Ice storms above 6000 ft in North Carolina in it and I'm spoiled on the size. I've had it for about 2 years and its way better than the no-name I had used before that.

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    for me a larger tarp is useful in more varied weather and terrain conditions. A 10x12 rectangle of silnylon is my fav but you may do well with an 9x11 or an 8x10. I have a GT Nano 7 and usually use at least a hex tarp with a 10'4" ridgeline (that tarp barely fits most 11' hammocks with only a few inches to spare on the ends). If you go with a smaller tarp maybe consider making a Grizzbeak too?
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I think people buy/make tarp dimensions based on their experience. There's some wild and woolly blowing precipitation up here in the Northeast so a 5x9 tarp sounds ridiculous to me. Where do people live that precipitation always falls straight down and never blows?

No minimalist tarp for me. I want coverage nothing less than I have now: 10' 10" by 10 ft 7 inches. There's no weight penalty with the HG Winter Palace at 8.5 ounces.

If I didn't have a cuben fiber tarp, I'd still go for the same dimensions in silnylon (like the Superfly) because I want doors and big coverage.

Hammock
    Grandtrunk Nano7
    Tarp
    5.5x7.5 Silnylon
    Suspension
    amsteel & webbing
    If it's raining sideways I hunker down on the ground with my tarp pitched with a trekking pole and have no problem staying dry.

I'm just inexperienced with using a long rectangle tarp instead of a more square one with about the same square footage and don't know if the coverage over a hammock will be different.

That Winter Palace is pretty sweet! I'm woirkin on a promotion then maybe I'll be able to squeeze one in the budget! for now I'm confined to double digits.
    "When I die they're gonna say, he couldn't play shit But he sure made it sound good."--Hound Dog Taylor

possumrocket

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I think people buy/make tarp dimensions based on their experience. There's some wild and woolly blowing precipitation up here in the Northeast so a 5x9 tarp sounds ridiculous to me. Where do people live that precipitation always falls straight down and never blows?

No minimalist tarp for me. I want coverage nothing less than I have now: 10' 10" by 10 ft 7 inches. There's no weight penalty with the HG Winter Palace at 8.5 ounces.

If I didn't have a cuben fiber tarp, I'd still go for the same dimensions in silnylon (like the Superfly) because I want doors and big coverage.
    There's also always the matter of supplementary materials for tarps. My DIY asym is 5'2" x 9'4" (the dimensions given on DIY Gear Supply's minimalist asym plans) and covers my 11' long hammock adequately from above.

Blowing rain would be a problem with this set up, if I didn't also have a poncho that doubles as an undercover for my hammock. It prevents sideways rain (and we get a lot of that down here in FL) from coming in underneath.

The only problem I've run into was water intrusion from the whipping ends (the tarp likes to slide off of the ends of the hammock, since there's so little fabric there on the tarp). This was solved via the application of two mini plastic S-biners to either end of the hammock and tarp suspensions (thank you, Black Wolf, for that suggestion).

I've spent 12+ hours in this set up (without the S-biners) in the edge of a tropical storm before (that's how I found out about the water intrusion at the whipping ends; it showed up at about hour 10). It works, as long as all you want to do is sleep or stay dry with a book in a storm.

~~~~~~~~

Anyway, sorry for moving things a little off-topic, but it is possible to use a tarp that small if you have supplementary rain blockage. And your poncho can double as a bivvy, if you're really tied to tarp camping--use Sil 2nds if you go that route, though. That'll be less cost to you when you finally punch an hole in it...which will happen, sooner or later, using it as a bivvy.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Super noob

Ok I'm a super noob to hammock camping (haven't even gone out yet)...

Anyway I have the grand trunk skeeter beater pro which is 10' 6", what sort of tarp do you guys think I should go with that doesn't break the bank (GT doesn't make one bigger than the EXACT length)

I have the GT extreme shelter that has the smaller hammock and the funky Forrest hammock that I'm fine with, but the pro is a bit of a problem.

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images

Re: Need to upgrade my tarp

Quote Originally Posted by FaceStabber View Post
    Ok I'm a super noob to hammock camping (haven't even gone out yet)...

Anyway I have the grand trunk skeeter beater pro which is 10' 6", what sort of tarp do you guys think I should go with that doesn't break the bank (GT doesn't make one bigger than the EXACT length)

I have the GT extreme shelter that has the smaller hammock and the funky Forrest hammock that I'm fine with, but the pro is a bit of a problem.
    Remember you will ideally hang your hammock at a 30º angle, so the length between your hammock ends should be around 9'. This should give you plenty room for tarp coverage.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast