Clark NX-250 Underquilt & Ridgeline Question

Hi -

I'm looking for advice on insulation for the Clark NX-250. I'm interested in your experience and feedback with the z-liner that Clark sells. Is it effective as an underquilt and provide adequate coverage? Does it pack similarly to an underquilt or is it more bulky?

I'm also interested in any recommendation you have for a down underquilt and suspension that works well with the Clark. Any special challenges attaching an underquilt to a Clark NX-250? Do the pockets interfere at all?

Last question, is it possible to attach a ridgeline to the NX-250?

Any feedback from those of you that have experience with the NX-250 and advice concerning the questions I have is really appreciated.

Thanks,

hoaf
    Last edited by hoaf; 05-07-2013 at 23:27. Reason: removed redundant wording

I tried the Z-Liner last summer and was not happy with it. It's a great idea, but has some serious design issues - primarily that the edges of the 6 pads do not overlap, so you get major cold spots running from your neck to butt.

I returned the Z-Liner and got a 20* Incubator UQ from Hammock Gear. I used it all through this winter in back yard hangs (down to 15*), and highly recommend it. It's beautifully constructed, light weight, and toasty!

Jim

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hoaf View Post
    Hi -

Last question, is it possible to attach a ridgeline to the NX-250?

Any feedback from those of you that have experience with the NX-250 and advice concerning the questions I have is really appreciated.

Thanks,

hoaf
    Lots of advice here, and easy to find in the forum. Just give yourself an hour to read.

For a ridge-line with the NX-250 you will need connection points, maybe rings, connected at 10+ inches = .25+m beyond the ends of the hammock. Then, the ridge-line will clear the hoops. On one of my Clarks, I accomplish that with loops through the channels that are long enough. The structural ridge line and whoopie slings to the straps both connect to the end of the loops.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 05-08-2013 at 02:13.

Hammock
    WBRR-WBBB
    Tarp
    Cloudburst-Hanger
    Insulation
    NeoAir-Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie Dutch hook
    I'm interested in your experience and feedback with the z-liner that Clark sells.
    Is it effective as an underquilt and provide adequate coverage?
    Synthetic insulation gives less coverage than down. As long as the down stays dry. That's why I prefer synthetic insulation. Especially during long trips were snow and rain alternate with each other. To 15F the Z-liner provides adequate coverage for me. Under the 15F I double the Z-liner. In general i don't have cold spots. If you pack the pockets in addition to the Z-liner, they will push against eachother below the hammock.

Does it pack similarly to an underquilt or is it more bulky?
    The packsize of the NX-250 will grow with approx 80% Please find hereunder a picture of the size of a full Z-liner existing out of 6 pads and the footend triangle. The size is 10,5 inch x 5 inch diameter. And that's less than most full-size down underquilts (as far as i can gather)

Last edited by Hiker Philly; 05-08-2013 at 13:34. Reason: Added a picture

I use an under quilt with mine, no particular issues or tricks to putting it on the hammock other than that the pockets that hold the hoop poles, which you can work around easily. Near those pockets at each corner of the hammock bed is a sewn on loop which makes a good and handy place to add adjustments if necessary.
    My ridge line isn't properly a ridge line, but it runs from hoop to hoop, there is a loop on each end at the top of the hood, I use a short piece of shock cord in the line so that it can give. Handy for hanging my glasses at night.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    I did get the Clark z-liner and wasn't happy with it. Way too bulky, almost impossible to carry when backpacking. I does provide good coverage, but the bulk is just too much. Right now, I use a JRB under quilt, but if that's too expensive, then a Walmart blue pad works pretty good. I tried to make a ridge line for my Clark, but it never really worked. It just doesn't seem to be able to handle anymore weight than my glasses at night and wasn't worth the effort to put together. I think you can make the pockets work quite well since they are right there underneath you.

Hammock
    WBRR-WBBB
    Tarp
    Cloudburst-Hanger
    Insulation
    NeoAir-Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie Dutch hook
    Quote Originally Posted by bear bag hanger View Post
    Way too bulky, almost impossible to carry when backpacking. I does provide good coverage, but the bulk is just too much. Right now, I use a JRB under quilt, but if that's too expensive, then a Walmart blue pad works pretty good.
    @Bear bag hanger: Thanks! And interesting. My Z-liner (6 pads and the triangle at the footend) packs 10,5 inch x 5 inch diameter. Which JRB underquilt do you use? And what is your packsize?

Re: Clark NX-250 Underquilt & Ridgeline Question

I just cut up an old sleeping bag and made my own pillows to go in the pockets. Just made them a bit wider than the pockets so they were tight. They are down so they pack real small in there own compression sack. Seems to work good down past 15. That and my synth sleeping bag keep me toasty.

My Clark has a small loop at the peek of eack zipper inside. Was just laying in it thinking that'd work good for a ridge line. Don't really need one though.

• + New Posts