Diy top and bottom quilt question

Hey all I have been a long time reader and this is my 3rd post. I have been bitten by the DIY bug after making a IX underquilt for fall and spring camping. I just got my Mom's sewing machine a 10 year old Viking. This machine is more than I would ever need but free worked out great.

I want to do a 800 fill top and bottom quilt. My question is after reading a ton of posts and looking at some finished quilts. I am on the fence of making baffles out of ne see'm mesh or doing a sew through baffle. After playing with my new/used machine I found that it will do a double or triple stich. From what I have read most people do the baffle with mesh so the down does not move around. Would using the double or triple stich setting on my machine so do you think that would achieve the same effect. I am open to any and all suggestion, what are your all feelings on this.
    Chris

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    having used both baffled and a sewn thru quilts, i would HIGHLY recommend taking the extra time and make it baffled, from my experience all things being equal except the construction, i would estimate the baffled design will get you 15+ degrees more in warmth, but i would also say it makes a much bigger difference on your uq than your tq

only have to leave one hole open too for adding the down, if you do sewn thru baffles you need to leave every baffle open to get down in them, just my 2 cents

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Boot thanks for the 2 cents I have a feeling a lot of people are going to post the same thing. Time is not a issue since it is May I have the time to do it right. I did not think about the extra warmth doing the baffles with mesh. That is a good point.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

Diy top and bottom quilt question

I have made both sewn thru and baffled. I would definitely stick with the baffled design. Forget about the fancy stitches, just a single line of straight stitches. Down loves to find stitch holes to escape through.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts