Hammock
    Grandtrunk Nano7
    Tarp
    5.5x7.5 Silnylon
    Suspension
    amsteel & webbing

Southern boy goin out west for the first time

I've been an avid backpacker in North Carolina for close to a decade and finally have a chance to Hike the Sierra Nevadas. Likely I will be hiking around Llewellyn Falls in Carson-Iceberg Wilderness although I am open to any suggestions less that 5 hours from San Fransisco.

Is hammock camping in the Sierras doable? I've heard that many places don't allow attaching shelters to trees but have not found any official info on this. I do a lot of trekking pole/tarp camping in the East, should I plan on that over hanging?

I've hung plenty of times over 6000ft but what should I expect around or above 8000?

Any thing helps, thanks!

(am i in the right forum? new to this whole internet thing)
    "When I die they're gonna say, he couldn't play shit But he sure made it sound good."--Hound Dog Taylor

possumrocket

Hammock
    BLACKBIRD XLC, Clark North American
    Tarp
    MAMAJAMBA
    Insulation
    Upper/Lower Quilt
    Suspension
    whoopieslings
    Southern Boy,

I spend most of my time in the Golden Trout Wilderness, south of Carson-Iceberg Wilderness. I've been hanging there for 4 years, and backpacked there all my life. You will have no problems hanging in the Wilderness, or for that matter anyplace else... As for National Parks, I'm not sure on that one as I try to stay out of the National Parks (ie Yosemite) due to crowds.

What time a year? The last few days we have been getting snow in the Sierra. For the most part, May through September, expect lows in the 40's to 50's, with the occasional 30's. I have seen snow in June. So it's best to have your best insulation if you are cold natured. During the summer a thin ground pad works fine in my Clark North American. There really isn't a big temperature change between 6000 and 10000 feet. Above 10000', it tends to be tree line so plan to stay below that to hang.

The Sierra, during the summer, is very different than the Mountains on the East Coast. It isn't hot, nor humid and very few bugs in comparison... But some places can have a lot of mosquitoes so have deet and a bug net handy.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask... and have a great trip. What part of NC, my mom is from Goldsburo.

Here is a website that has cams all over the Sierra: http://sierracamnetwork.com/index.php

And some information on water quality: http://pweb.jps.net/~prichins/giardia.htm
    Last edited by MrtyMrtn; 05-08-2013 at 13:33.

Hammock
    Grandtrunk Nano7
    Tarp
    5.5x7.5 Silnylon
    Suspension
    amsteel & webbing
    Thanks! Great info!

I'm planning on late June or early July and planning on sing a z rest and 20 degree down bag for insulation. I've weathered ice storms in NC with that set up and feel pretty comfortable about taking it out west.

I'm from Greensboro, a couple hours west of Goldsboro

Thanks for the websites!
    "When I die they're gonna say, he couldn't play shit But he sure made it sound good."--Hound Dog Taylor

possumrocket

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    Go to Tahoe and hang in the Tahoe National Forest. From SF only 3-3.5 hours away. You'll find plenty of places to hang. When you come out here post your plans in the trip section if you want some company to hang with.

S

Hammock
    Grandtrunk Nano7
    Tarp
    5.5x7.5 Silnylon
    Suspension
    amsteel & webbing
    Thanks for the recommendation! How are the crowds in Tahoe in late June?

I'll definitely post when my plans are more solid!

possumrocket

Hammock
    BLACKBIRD XLC, Clark North American
    Tarp
    MAMAJAMBA
    Insulation
    Upper/Lower Quilt
    Suspension
    whoopieslings
    If I can get off work, I'd be willing to head that way for a hang... Keep us informed...

• + New Posts