Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Hg system(eventual
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies/UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pat9381 View Post
    I just got back from a trip up the coast. Had a great time. As far as the straps, we took 12' diy python style straps and a couple of 8' backups. One night we had to combine a 12' and the backup to go around a large (non-redwood) tree.

The nighttime temps were in the 50's. We used a pad but did not need any other under insulation. Hammocks are diy bridge style.

We did not even put up the tarps. Early September was totally dry. The only atmospheric moisture was on the coast at Point Reyes.

The hosts at Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park made us take our hammocks down. They quoted CCR 4306(a) in a "Camper Notification/Message". They wrote "Nothing tied or hung in any tree or bush." When we got back and looked up the regulation it basically said you cannot damage trees etc. in any way and gave attaching things to trees as an example.

Admittedly, the campground was in better shape than others but the hosts seemed to have gone over the top in terms of zealousness. They did not care that we were using tree saver straps. The other thing that was kind of weird was that they took the stick that we found there and re-used to poke the fire. I have been camping for decades and never had anyone take my fire poking stick.
    That is pretty bogus. I emailed the state park service asking them about the use of hammocks, explaining the use of tree savers, etc, and I heard back from Todd Thames, the superintendent for law enforcement for CA state parks. He responded stating that there was technically no provisions in place banning the use of hammocks. I think he misunderstood the question though, because he was citing Regulations for recreation and one for Equipment and occupancy. I think we need to flood the CA state park service with emails and inquiries.
    I may be dumb, but at least I'm ugly!

I've done so much, with so little, for so long, now I can do anything with nothing.

It's not peer pressure, it's just your turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Toes View Post
    Great info guy! Thank you!

So here's kind of a dumb question....

How does fog effect you? Will it leave me soaking? Will a tarp be useless against fog?

Haha, sorry... don't get much fog out here in the midwest.
    I do not claim to be an expert but we found virtually no fog until we were ON the coast. We live near the water in Florida so we see fog in the early mornings when it is cool. The atmosphere was very dry even though we were in the "Coastal Redwoods". When we went to the coast, right on the coast, we saw some moisture in the form of fog. At Reyes Point we saw driving fog...like blowing sideways. That is what rain does here when there is a storm.

If you are checking the weather, are still in dry season, are off of the coast you may not even need a tarp. We did not. If you are planning on camping west of the ridge closest to the coast, you will probably get soggy.

Quote Originally Posted by steveflinn View Post
    Don't worry about long straps. You're not going to strap to an an old redwood.

Not to worry, there's LOTS of other trees amongst the redwoods to hang from. And any other tree is going to give you better traction for your strap. Plus, why gamble on falling branches that are so much bigger and higher up?

Beyond that, we locals love those trees... far more than visitors and civility. Now, that bark is going to survive us all. But it's just not cool to damage redwoods - or even risk it. Good way to make locals unfriendly or hostile, great way to provoke a ranger.

And if you do, don't let me catch you.
    With trees that tall you cannot even SEE the widow makers. The locals, rangers and informed know that the forest contains a mix of trees. Technically an old growth forest in good health is a forest that has not been cut and contains trees of mixed species and ages as well as a diverse undergrowth.

One of the most fascinating aspects of the redwoods is the diverse manner in which the trees have managed to survive as long as they have. Long before the timber industry got to them, there were wildfires and storms. The number of ways in which the species procreates is remarkable.
    A small percentage of seeds are viable.
    Trees produce "babies" from the base of the tree especially when stressed.
    Burls sprout new trees even from trees that have fallen or had the heart burned out. Amazing. The only things that will ever destroy them are humankind or climate change. (Sorry did not mean to preach. You just have to see them to believe it.)

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123