WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    homemade PLUQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable loop

ridgeline connections for WB Superfly

I've been reading all about ridgelines and various knots and hardware for a couple of hours now and I've reached the point of negative returns where I'm just getting more confused So I'll just post my thoughts and see what everyone thinks ...

I'm going to go with the separate ridgeline like Brandon recommends but want to simplify it and make it more adjustable than in the video. My thought is to run one end through the split ring on the tarp and tie a prussik back onto itself. The other end would run around the tree. This way I have a prussik on both ends so I can relatively easily move the tarp in either direction. And I can just leave those knots in there so all I'll ever need to do is worry about the end that goes around the tree.

Although weight isn't really an issue, I don't want to use more biners to connect the line back to itself. So my biggest question is what knot would be best to use there?

Any other comments on what I plan? I don't know that using something like a figure 9 would save me any effort or time would it?

Thanks, I appreciate any input. I've only hung two nights so far so I'm still way early in the learning curve.

Dave

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip

ridgeline connections for WB Superfly

What I have on my superfly are a set of stingerZ from dutchware. Fairly lightweight, easy to use and they clip right on to the existing rings on the tarp. It is not hard at all to learn the right length over the hammock to have it setup correctly. With the stingerz I use lash-it for the cordage.
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner/Darien UL
    Tarp
    Spinntek Mamajamba
    Insulation
    TQ LeighLo/WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UCRs
    Are you wanting to leave the split ridgeline attached to the tarp?
    If so you then your idea is great and you could use a tumble hitch http://www.animatedknots.com/tumble/...matedknots.com It's easy to release and you could put a toggle in the bight to keep it secure.
    Or just splice or tie on a dutch hook on the end of each of your ridge lines which will hook onto the line wrapped around the tree and you just tighten up with your prusiks.
    A soft shackle would also work but I tend to stay away from them because when its cold or wet out they don't tend to be very cooperative with my digits.
    Last edited by 8Daddy; 05-08-2013 at 23:48.
    Life is short and then it's forever..

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    I thought Brandon recommends using the tie-out rings over the separate ridgeline? Hmmm, must have missed that. The videos on his site just show using the rings as far as I remember. Anyone know why the change? Thanks

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    homemade PLUQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable loop
    Thanks guys.
    8Daddy, yes I plan to just leave them attached to the split rings, I'll take a look at the tumble hitch. If I used the hardware like you suggested wouldn't I need to tie and untie it all the time based on the size of the tree?
    Brady, you're right, that's what Brandon recommends, it's also what I was trying to describe I was saying that way so it wouldn't be confused with a continuous ridge line.

Hammock
    The Quagmire/misc DIY/Eno DN
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Hg system(eventual
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies/UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nighthauk View Post
    What I have on my superfly are a set of stingerZ from dutchware. Fairly lightweight, easy to use and they clip right on to the existing rings on the tarp. It is not hard at all to learn the right length over the hammock to have it setup correctly. With the stingerz I use lash-it for the cordage.
    Exactly what I plan to do when I get my SF. Quick, easy, and easy to adjust again if I need to.
    I may be dumb, but at least I'm ugly!

I've done so much, with so little, for so long, now I can do anything with nothing.

It's not peer pressure, it's just your turn.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    My only input would be that imagine you have 2 scenarios -

1 - Two trees 19 feet apart and 5 feet around

2 - Two trees 14 feet apart and 1 foot around

In scenario 1, you'd have 10 feet of line tied up just around the trees (so 5 feet per side).

The Superfly has an 11 foot ridgeline so you'd need 8 feet of cord to make up the difference of the 19 foot distance between trees (so 4 feet per side).

Now you tie your prusik on each side (I'm assuming what you are meaning here is something like a taut line hitch at the end of the lines).

That's 9 feet of cord needed per side to accommodate scenario 1.

So let's say you end up with 10 feet of line per side to be on the safe side.

Your usable adjustable length per side is only going to be half that length if you keep the taut line hitch tied always at the end of the line.

Meaning, you only have a minimum usable cord length of 5 feet per side.

Looking then at scenario 2 you have an 11 foot tarp ridgeline so you'd only need 3 feet of line total to make up the difference of the 14 foot distance between trees (1.5 feet per side)

You'd need 2 feet get around the trees (1 foot per side) for a total length needed of only 2.5 feet of line per side.

Your minimum working length of cord per side is 5 feet meaning you'd have to untie your taut line hitch and retie it.

Not a huge issue but something to consider.

A way around this without having to tie and untie knots in the field and without added hardware is to tie a loop of cord out of an additional piece of cordage and string that through the split rings. Then prusik that onto your lines. You have infinite adjustability with this just remember to tie a stopper knot at the end of your tarp line or the prusik can slide right off.
    Last edited by Tendertoe; 05-09-2013 at 10:38.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    homemade PLUQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable loop
    Nighthauk, I'll take a look at stringerz, since I'm new at this I see myself doing a lot of adjusting, at least at first. How easy are they to adjust? I'm also worried about putting undue friction on the cordage, I'll be using the 1.75mm Dyneema that Brandon offers.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    homemade PLUQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable loop
    Thanks tendertoe, I did mean an actual prussik, I think it'll hold better than a tautline on the dyneema. I don't think I'll need to untie it though, the knot will be tied close to the split ring on the tarp leaving the rest of the line to go around the tree and then only need to tie to itself right near the tree, that should be the only knot I need to untie every time. If the trees are close together the excess can just hang down.

The problem with big trees far apart can happen with any set up though, and I'll be mostly in the Midwest, no sequoias here

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
    Thanks tendertoe, I did mean an actual prussik, I think it'll hold better than a tautline on the dyneema. I don't think I'll need to untie it though, the knot will be tied close to the split ring on the tarp leaving the rest of the line to go around the tree and then only need to tie to itself right near the tree, that should be the only knot I need to untie every time. If the trees are close together the excess can just hang down.
    Perfect, that is exactly the solution that I was thinking of to a problem I misunderstood and thought you were talking about so you should be great then.

Now what attachment method on the tree end?

I like a simple micro carabiner (or Dutch hook, or Dutch ridgeline biner, or what have you) on a locked brummel or dead eye at the end of each line.

You could tie a siberian hitch or a dozen other knots or hitches but the small amount of added hardware more than makes up for itself in simplicity IMHO.

Let us know what you end up going with.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast