WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Web for now

Uncomfortable using BB as a chair?

Whenever I'm sitting in my BB, the open edge ALWAYS seems to be much "tighter" than the rest of the hammock. I just can't get it to sit comfortably no matter how much fiddling I do.

Am I missing something simple here? If I lay WAY back, it's not to terrible, but if I'm cooking or trying to work on something in my lap while sitting up, it's not but a few minutes before I have to stand up or my legs are going to fall asleep.

I'm NOT complaining, but just trying to see if I'm doing something wrong. Is this an indication that my ridgeline is to tight, or something else is off with my setup?

I had the same results on my son's WBBB and my Dream Hammock Dangerbird. I assume it's because the zipper fabric doesn't stretch like the body fabric does. I find it to be an issue whenever I'm getting into the hammock. I think it's just the price you pay for a built-in bug net.

The best thing I've tried when trying to sit in it is to fold the edge back to the middle and sit on the doubled body fabric. That seems much more comfortable on both of the hammocks I mentioned above.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it; we go to smooth it." -- Nessmuk

Assistant Scoutmaster, Troop 102, Fayetteville, Arkansas

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sjarvis View Post
    I had the same results on my son's WBBB and my Dream Hammock Dangerbird. I assume it's because the zipper fabric doesn't stretch like the body fabric does. I find it to be an issue whenever I'm getting into the hammock. I think it's just the price you pay for a built-in bug net.

The best thing I've tried when trying to sit in it is to fold the edge back to the middle and sit on the doubled body fabric. That seems much more comfortable on both of the hammocks I mentioned above.
    Actually I think the recommended way of using almost any hammock as a chair is to fold it in half like that. Much more comfortable, more support, better all the way around. I've found that method to be effective on all of my hammocks (yes... all 6 of them )

Dave
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    one thing i didn't like when i used my bb for a chair was the ridgeline was right in my way

so i cut my ridgeline and tied a loop into each ends of the cut ridgeline, got another small piece (8") of amsteel and a dutch biner, tied loops on it, larks headed one end to the ridgeline and then put the biner on the other end and clipped it to the other loop of the ridgeline

now when i use my bb as a chair i just unclip the biner and the line is out of my way, it did take a bit of fiddle to get the short piece the exact length so that my ridgeline length didn't change any so when i clip it back up to sleep i have the same lay

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Fold in half, makes a world of difference. You could also throw together a quick hammock footrest which won't add much weight at all.

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    I put my sit pad for stop and rest time while hiking under my legs while sitting,when i lie down the sit pad goes on the ground as a welcome mat . This makes everything multi functional.
    good luck.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Web for now
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm heading out on Friday and will hopefully find a comfortable position!

Banned
    Hammock
    warbonnet BB, dream hammock
    Tarp
    WB superfly, edge
    Insulation
    AHE jarbidge, UGQ
    Suspension
    woopies
    just a thought, hang lower to the ground so your feet touch?? that might work 4 ya

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sjarvis View Post
    ...."I think it's just the price you pay for a built-in bug net"....
    I use a DIY and my bugnet is separate from the hammock body. I also have that problem. It's due to the geometrical shape of the rectangle changed into a different shape(wide in center and gathered in the end), causing the center of hammy to drop below the edge. It will be the same for most gathered end hammocks regardless of bugnet.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    I use a DIY and my bugnet is separate from the hammock body. I also have that problem. It's due to the geometrical shape of the rectangle changed into a different shape(wide in center and gathered in the end), causing the center of hammy to drop below the edge. It will be the same for most gathered end hammocks regardless of bugnet.
    Thanks for posting that. I have VERY little experience in hammocks without built-in bugnets -- either like the WBBB or the DangerBird or the HH bottom-entry style, which you can't really sit on.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it; we go to smooth it." -- Nessmuk

Assistant Scoutmaster, Troop 102, Fayetteville, Arkansas

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast