Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    DD 3x3m
    Insulation
    DIY UQ soon!

Sheep's wool for TQ / UQ??

Hi all!

As a spinner and weaver I know I can easily get hold of sheep's wool for very, VERY little money. I know farmers willing to give good spinning fleece away for free here in Wales, land of sheep

Maybe this has been discussed here before?? Has anyone experimented with sheep's fleece instead of goose down? Is it a question of insulative quality? I can't imagine sheep's wool is much behind down somehow... It's lightweight, insulative etc... My partner recently bought a sheep's wool duvet and it is WONDERFUL!! Very warm but never makes either of us sweat.

I know it would take some hard work cleaning and processing raw fleece into useful carded bats but hell, if it means I can make my own UQ and TQ for a few pounds, I'm in!! And I'm used to processing fleece so it's not out of my way

Any thoughts?? Anyone tried it before?

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I always believe in using what you have. I think it would work very well. I paddle mostly so weight would not be a concern for me, but I would guess that to be the major drawback. I love wool, I wear it a lot and use a light wool blanket in my hammock during much of the year. I like the way it allows for air movement while insulating. Keep us posted. I am anxious to see how it goes.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    Ticket to the Moon Double
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 11.5x14
    Insulation
    3/4 DIY UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS Whoopie kit
    I own a large wool hooded cloak and, as far as I'm concerned, it can't be beat when it comes to keeping me warm and dry in some of the most deplorable weather conditions for hours on end. I wouldn't exactly call it light and it doesn't compress for squat, but it's awesome for what it does.

Down on the other hand weighs next to nothing and can be compressed to just a fraction if its size. That's one of the reasons it's so popular. It packs easy and is extremely light weight for the amount of coverage and warmth it provides.

If you're not trying to go for light weight and space isn't an issue, I don't see a problem using wool and would expect a full report on how toasty warm and dry you are. But if you're having to haul in all your gear, I don't think all wool insulation would be ideal.

Now that I think about it, aren't the military poncho liner under quilts so many people are making/using made from wool or a wool blend? I'm sure someone will chime in here shortly about that!
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
    George S. Patton

The 50 State Project: Thread
    The 50 State Project: Table

Hammock
    My DIY 1.9 SL ATACS-FG WB clone
    Tarp
    DIY Sil ATACS Hex
    Insulation
    Underquilt.com FL
    Suspension
    DBL StrapCarabiner
    Images
    I use an "Army surplus" wool blanket sandwiched between a full length poncho liner as an underquilt. it works great for me and my particular setup, and it allows for much cooler temperatures. I am only experienced at a few nights, this particular night we were down to 30*. (For colder nights I use the blue mylar space blanket between the blanket and PLUQ. The wool is heavy though.

My thoughts are that if I ever have to go on the ground, at least the wool will be more durable than a down quilt...unless you add in extra protection.

Take it easy,
    gmcpcs
    Last edited by gmcpcs; 05-09-2013 at 13:21. Reason: typo
    Semper Veritas.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    I always believe in using what you have. I think it would work very well. I paddle mostly so weight would not be a concern for me, but I would guess that to be the major drawback. I love wool, I wear it a lot and use a light wool blanket in my hammock during much of the year. I like the way it allows for air movement while insulating. Keep us posted. I am anxious to see how it goes.
    +1 on that
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby_T View Post
    but hell, if it means I can make my own UQ and TQ for a few pounds, I'm in!!
    That's the problem, it will weigh a few lbs. If you're hiking, that weight will be quite noticeable.

I do love wool, but goose down gets my vote for TQ/UQ when hiking due to weight and compressibility.

I suspect that no one loves wool much more than I do, socks, shirts, whatever. But, I do not drag it around in the woods if I am carrying a pack, well except socks, one has to draw the line somewhere.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Just bring the sheep. They can carry your pack.

Hammock
    Ticket to the Moon Double
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 11.5x14
    Insulation
    3/4 DIY UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS Whoopie kit
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Just bring the sheep. They can carry your pack.

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
    George S. Patton

The 50 State Project: Thread
    The 50 State Project: Table

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    I'm interested to see some experimenting with the wool in various forms. I've often wonderd if wool rovings could just be sewn between two piece of nylon and how warm that would be. I honestly have no experience with spinning or weaving so I might be going in the wrong direction. The biggest concern is that wool doesn't compress much and I'm afraid the rovings wouldn't recover well from being smashed into a pack.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast