Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    I only stuff mine when on a trip like most of you here. One interesting thing I found is that pilots, when forced to eject form their aircraft, have a down sleeping bag, compressed, in a compartment under their seat, which is, of course ejected with them. This has been compressed sometimes for years and is fully functional for the pilots use when needed. That down is some tough stuff.
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Images
    Hang, only compress when on trips and lightly then. Always sleep with clothes so body oils do not soil TQ.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mule View Post
    I only stuff mine when on a trip like most of you here. One interesting thing I found is that pilots, when forced to eject form their aircraft, have a down sleeping bag, compressed, in a compartment under their seat, which is, of course ejected with them. This has been compressed sometimes for years and is fully functional for the pilots use when needed. That down is some tough stuff.
    That's very interesting. The degradation of life-preserving loft-for-warmth must have been tested to be minimal. Per my early speculation on degradation, when the sleeping bag is compressed, the aviator knows that was done with the down clean and dry.

To northermark: I like wool very much, also, but it is an "entirely different animal". In several different disguises,too. I referred to less-processed wool, rich with lanolins, an oil which should not be stripped by detergents if the garment is expected to take advantage of that lanolin. The classic fisherman's sweaters are examples. Raw wools from different animals and different animal parts are all naturally different from one another.

But, there are other "disguises" wool takes, where the fiber is much-processed so it responds to water differently, maybe not wrinkling, often not shrinking, and likely with different properties of color-fastness, too. There are many patents or trademarks for those treatments, like "Smartwool", and as many different ways to spin and weave it for different behavior.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 05-12-2013 at 12:30. Reason: smartwool

Hammock
    90"x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle

Re: How long do you keep your down compressed?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    wow. Me too! I still have some frostline down that's what, >30 years old, compressed into a puck..
    I sure wish I could come across such a good deal again. I won mine on eBay. 22 (2oz) packages for $5+$7 shipping. Ya can't beat that with a stick! I've said that I have "retired" from quilt-making after 7 down quilts. However, if I could get my hands on more down at that price, I'd be tempted to do something with it.
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12