Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Grampy View Post
    That is good advice about trimming what isn't used on a test hike. There are some non-essentials that I will be taking whether they are used or not -i.e. beast repellant. ^_^ With that, it is better to have it and not need it I say.
    One of the things that you will shed on the trail is fear of beasts. Maybe it will even happen on a test hike. Just sayin ....

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    OK, so I'm ex-Army. I get where you're coming from, trust me. Up until two years ago my pack still weighed 50lbs.

It's been going down steadily, with the use of more modern, lightweight options.

I wanted to agree with the thought someone had of a Kindle, or a Nook to replace your books. Load it up with reading material, charge up when you're in civilization.

Compromise on the hatchet...go with a small machete if you just HAVE to HAVE a large cutting implement. There's a small Gator machete by Gerber that's pretty cheap, and a lot lighter weight than a hatchet. Doubles as a saw and chopping tool, as well as a hole digger if needed. Use a rock or a tree limb if you need a hammer.

I don’t see any wet-weather gear.

Ditch the dry bags for a couple of 3 mil, 55gal trash bags. They can double as a ground cloth, dry bag, emergency rain gear, etc…much more multi-use and lighter weight option.

The flint (Ferrocerium?) is fine…a Bic is better. A Bic in your pocket and one in your bag is best.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Welcome and thanks from another old dog.
    Somewhere in this train of info you asked about how to mail stuff to yourself. Two planning books for the AT have all the info you need -1) AT Workbook for Planning Thru-Hikes and 2)AT Thru-hike Planner. Both have the Post Office locations for all trail towns and planning sheets you can copy and use for about anything you need to figure out, including all the mileage information, both north and south. Then there are other trail data books that are more useful on the trail as they much more compact. You can cut out the sections you need, stick them in a ziplock bag (freezer style) and they fit in the belt pockets of the Catalyst. Mail ahead the next batch.

+1 on those folks who said do some short shakedown hikes, a few days at most to figure out what works for you. You will find out as others have stated, lots of stuff you start out with when getting into this "pleasureable" experience are not needed.
    Hooyah!
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Quote Originally Posted by Hang_time View Post
    There's no way all of that comes in less than 15lbs. Not a chance.

Sharpening stone? Hatchet? Three books that you don't *need*. Overkill.

Mat? Pad? You don't need any of these unless you anticipate going to ground, and you'd save a lot of weight by investing in an underquilt (UQ).
    So far it does come to less than 15 lbs but just under -minus the clothes being worn. All of it fits within a 2'x2' square on my floor. However, I have been weighing the advice as my final product must be 15lbs or less.

I was considering a mat or pad or underquilt -not so much an all-three consideration but a one over the others. FireInMyBones has given me some advice on the quilts offline. They are a little more expensive but the weight and size is a major desire.

Thank you.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post

I don’t see any wet-weather gear.

Ditch the dry bags for a couple of 3 mil, 55gal trash bags. They can double as a ground cloth, dry bag, emergency rain gear, etc…much more multi-use and lighter weight option.
    Wet-weather gear has been on my mind.

Hammock
    WB/Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Winter Palace.
    Insulation
    Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps/cinch bkls
    Grampy,

My 2 cents.
    For wet weather I use DriDucks. They are very lightweight, pack down small, and are affordable. They are good as windbreakers as well. The one drawback for me is that they tend to be a bit fragile - not recommended for bushwhacking.
    If you go with these, be advised that they tend to size big, so if you wear a x-large you might try a large... I like them loose, because I can layer them over thick fleece, but if you like a tighter fit, try them on in the store first. I've seen them at most major sporting goods stores.

here is a link to their online site so you can see what they look like.

http://www.froggtoggsraingear.com/DriDucks.shtm

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    HH Hex / Noah 9
    Suspension
    Strap/buckle/rings
    Images

Hygiene on the trail

Quote Originally Posted by Grampy View Post
    What about hygiene and poo disposal? I suspect the hippies would not appreciate a gas burn, and I don't want to carry the stuff...
    Look for this book:

http://www.amazon.com/****-Woods-Sec.../dp/0898156270

In the Marines, we normally had a list of "madatory" items in the load-out.
    In the real world, longer distance camping with your own gear is so much better than going to the field with all your mandatory junk in the pack.

What I teach our Scouts is:
    Take what you need, and need what you take.

I'd suggest that you do a few camping trips yourself with all your gear and see what you don't use.
    DKPerdue

Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
    Ronald Reagan, President of the United States

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dkperdue View Post
    I really like the way you put it
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Quote Originally Posted by gospidey View Post
    Noted. Thank you

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Quote Originally Posted by dkperdue View Post
    Look for this book:

http://www.amazon.com/****-Woods-Sec.../dp/0898156270

In the Marines, we normally had a list of "madatory" items in the load-out.
    In the real world, longer distance camping with your own gear is so much better than going to the field with all your mandatory junk in the pack.

What I teach our Scouts is:

I'd suggest that you do a few camping trips yourself with all your gear and see what you don't use.
    I look forward to a lightweight pack.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast