My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images

I am not dead, just been out hiking!!!!!!

Hey guys,

I know I have not posted here like I use to, but I have really been busy hiking and getting my butt into shape. I have shed 50 pounds since September 2008, going from 230 to 180 pounds, and have cut my pack weight in half (28 to 15 pounds)! I have hit the trail a lot more than I used to, and can go farther now in the same amount of time, because I do not need to stop and rest all the time.

I have gone on several trails along the Buffalo National River, bushwhacked in the National Forest near my house, and hit the Fayetteville Lake Trail that is in Fayetteville, Arkansas. I have also enjoyed taking my 5 year old son Burrito with me. I have to go slower with him, but he really enjoys sleeping in his hammock. On our trip this last weekend, I put his hammock above mine, and I insulated him from underneath. It worked very well, as he kept me warm up top too. It started to rain around 5AM, but under Amanda's 10X12 cat tarp, we stayed warm and dry. The rain stopped around 7AM, so we got up and cooked breakfast. He hiked 7 miles Saturday with no real problems, and he would eat a small slim jim every half mile. He told me that the slim jim's made his feet not hurt . He had a small day pack, that had his water bottles, and his snacks.

I have attached some pics of some of my latest trips, and I am sorry I haven't been posting like I use to, I just haven't been fast enough to answer first, and everyone has been doing such a great job, I have nothing really to add. What a great site, and I hope that I can contribute more soon.

Dwight
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Great to hear from you again, Preacha Man. Congrats on your new fitness level!
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Sounds like you are living the way all of wish we could. Good for you. Enjoy the time outside

Hammock
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Thanks guys,

Shedding weight was difficult at first, but after a while it becomes a lifestyle and it just falls into place. What really helped me was to learn that a pound of fat is 3500 calories. If you eat 100 more calories than what you burn everyday, in 35 days you will gain a pound, and vice a versa, if you burn 100 more calories than what eat, you will lose a pound in a month. I have been running some trails too, and this makes it where I can hit the trail, and still be home with Amanda and the kids.

Dwight

P.S. I don't like to say that I lost weight, because I surely do not want to find it again
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Nice going, Preacha Man! That's a lot of work.

On the flip side of the calorie thing, according to Jeff Galloway walking (running) burns burns about 50 (100) calories per mile. Chapter 4 of his book on running talks about the physiology behind it all, which I found especially helpful.

Chuck

Hammock
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Thanks for the link Chuck, I have really begun to enjoy running, and I will have to sit down soon and read all that Jeff Galloway has to say. I have found that the greatest part is to just be active. I also have been taking Tae-Kwon-Do, and I train about 4 times a week.

To stay on topic though, its good to not have to worry about my hammock suspension, and to be able to enjoy backpacking a whole lot more. My total weight with my pack on use to be 260 pounds, now because of my weight lose and reducing my pack weight, my total weight with pack on is less than 200, and that includes food and water. That is 60 pounds that I no longer have to carry up and down the trail

Dwight

Hammock
    home-made
    Tarp
    home-made
    Images
    Congrats on being absent more! That we could all be too busy camping/hiking/being outside to post and leave this forum empty.
    Even more congrats on the fitness and still more on having burrito with you on the trail! I have fond memories of outings with my dad and would trade them for nothing. Also, the skills that I learned then are invaluable now that I'm "in charge" of trips.
    www.Adventure-Some.com
    More Adventure in Your Daily Life

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    wow that awesome bro.i am in process of shedding a few pounds myselfneo
    the matrix has you

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacha Man View Post
    Thanks for the link Chuck, I have really begun to enjoy running, and I will have to sit down soon and read all that Jeff Galloway has to say. I have found that the greatest part is to just be active. I also have been taking Tae-Kwon-Do, and I train about 4 times a week.

To stay on topic though, its good to not have to worry about my hammock suspension, and to be able to enjoy backpacking a whole lot more. My total weight with my pack on use to be 260 pounds, now because of my weight lose and reducing my pack weight, my total weight with pack on is less than 200, and that includes food and water. That is 60 pounds that I no longer have to carry up and down the trail

Dwight
    Way to go, Preacha! So what was your technique? Just a lot more exercise and less food, or something fancier?

Hammock
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Way to go, Preacha! So what was your technique? Just a lot more exercise and less food, or something fancier?
    A lot more exercise and I ate around 1200-1300 calories a day. This is not a drudgery to do if you just increase your vegetable content, and eat more frequent smaller meals. I also chose not to drink any of my calories except for skim milk. I still only eat about 1500-1800 calories a day, not meaning too, I just can't eat as much anymore.

A Sample Daily Diet:

Fiber One Cereal with skim milk (4 servings 320 calories)

A flatout bread, 5 slices of fat free turkey Wrap with mustard with as many vegetables as you want. (about 250 calories depending on vegetables)

Snack of apple, pear, banana, trail mix whatever (about 100 calories)

Grilled chicken breast/Salmon/97% lean hamburger whatever meat, baked sweet potatoe, and vegetables (this usually added up to 350-450 Calories)

Fat free pudding/ Sugar Free Jello whatever low Calorie sweet thing (about 100 Calories)

I never starved myself, and always was full. I also drank about 3 liters of water a day. If you eat too much fiber and not enough water, you can actually become constipated instead of regular. You must drink a lot of water throughout the day. I hope this helps some of yall.

Dwight

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast