Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Glad you are back and on the way to a healthy lifestyle. Have you had your blood work done recently? It would be interesting to see your triglycerides and cholesterol levels.

I find that eating oatmeal for breakfast keeps my numbers in line.

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Wow, Preacha -- that's a serious commitment! I envy you the willpower to do that.

Hope this doesn't go too far afield but I'd like share some less dramatic experience from the other side. I like eating too much, unfortunately.

Anyway, I was pushing 225 last September and got back into running to shed some weight and up my conditioning for hiking (when I can get out, 'nuther story there...). Though I'm really just a jogger I got interested in a marathon training program and have followed that for the last three months. (day of reckoning comes this weekend). Bottom line, I'm down over 30 pounds with little change in my diet. If I can believe what the software reports, some of the long training runs burned off over 2500 calories! Next I want to try trail running, like you.

Thanks for your indulgence and I hope this is helpful to some (such as meself) who might be reluctant to cut back so dramatically on the food.

Chuck

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    PM, Congrats on the weight loss... Working on sheading ten pounds or so myself....Guess we all need to be hiking more...

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    My wife was the instigator of it all, she told my family that we WERE going to do this!! The kids can eat however much they want, but she still limits me. She has shed a total of 65 pounds and still going .

What really got me was when a guy told me that any idiot can lose weight, all you have to do is not drink water for a day, or take a laxative, etc, but what people need to do is not lose weight, but burn off fat.

I did not understand this until my waist started getting smaller. I have always had a size 38 waist. When I had my tonsils out 7 years ago, I lost weight and went down to 180 pounds, and I only had a size 36 waist then. I gained all that weight back very quickly, because I hadn't burned very much fat. I now weigh 180 pounds again, but now I have a size 32 waist, and those jeans are loose !! I wear a medium shirt, and my my neck went from a 17 1/2 to a 16.

Here is a pic of my belt. I keep it around to remind me not to go back. I use to always be at the 3 hole from the end, and then I started gaining weight, and had to move to the 2nd from the end. I cut off the excess at the end, but have kept all the original holes. As you an see, I have had to add a few more holes to it

Dwight
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    DIY Cuben
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    down,over & under
    Images
    precha, we have a cabin 1/2 mi above Gilbert near the Buffalo, hike the river often from Gilbert to the old bridge, spectacular. gnome

Hammock
    Anything hanging in the living room
    I was eating my second package of swiss chocolate rolls when I read this. Oops. Now I feel like working it off after all this motivation on here!!

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    precha, we have a cabin 1/2 mi above Gilbert near the Buffalo, hike the river often from Gilbert to the old bridge, spectacular. gnome
    The Buffalo is a truly magnificent place. I plan on doing a through hike of the trail soon. I plan on doing it in two days from Boxely to Pruitt 36.5 miles. My favorite trail there is the Indian Creek Trail, challenging, yet beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by thorwren View Post
    I was eating my second package of swiss chocolate rolls when I read this. Oops. Now I feel like working it off after all this motivation on here!!
    Don't feel bad, last night I couldn't stay away from chocolate cake (Amanda was gone ), tonight I had an apple , oh well. At least the belt pic was taken tonight.

Dwight
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    WBBB,Travler
    Tarp
    SWT
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacha Man View Post
    Hey guys,

I know I have not posted here like I use to, but I have really been busy hiking and getting my butt into shape. I have shed 50 pounds since September 2008, .......
    I have also enjoyed taking my 5 year old son Burrito with me. I have to go slower with him, but he really enjoys sleeping in his hammock. On our trip this last weekend, I put his hammock above mine, and I insulated him from underneath. It worked very well, as he kept me warm up top too. ...... He hiked 7 miles Saturday with no real problems, and he would eat a small slim jim every half mile. He told me that the slim jim's made his feet not hurt . He had a small day pack, that had his water bottles, and his snacks.

I have attached some pics of some of my latest trips,

Dwight
    Congrats on both getting into shape and getting outdoors with such a fine looking son - a son who apparently doesn't mind having a spider in his hammock. Who looked to be having a great time.

Seems like only three years ago my son was that size. But he'll be 13 in a couple of weeks, is only slightly shorter than me but out weights me. I am hoping that both of us will enjoy hammock camping enough that it will get us both out hiking the trails and camping out more often.

Though its tough to know who needs to get into shape more , me or him. I would certainly like to see him drop 20# or so. When I was his age I walked or rode a bicycle, he always wants to ride a atv or dirt bike. On a hike to the top of a local mountain Sunday afternoon before last I lift both him and his string bean sized buddy far behind in my wake and had to wait for them both. And I'm 57 and out of shape. He was out camping this past weekend with the Boy Scouts but it was only a short walk to a winter lean-to shelter from the car lot . So other than learning to contend with the cold and a little snow. And the mental strain of being patrol leader it wasn't much of a physical strain or physical conditioning event. However - Calories were cut back a bit as one meal was raw another burnt and the dutch oven cherry cobbler had a good dusting of wood ash.

David

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacha Man View Post
    last night I couldn't stay away from chocolate cake
    Nor should anyone ever have to do such a thing!

Wow, big tip of the hat to the weight loss. That's really great and can serve as inspiration for me to loose all this post-hike weight. Really great job Preacha Man.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Excellent work getting the weight off. Want to come do it for me???

Camping with your son is a memory maker for you as well as for him. Good for you.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast