Dutch 11' Argon
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks

Foam vs Inflatable

Using an ENO Double Nest and not sure whether to use a foam sleeping pad or an inflatable sleeping pad. Will be using a mummy bag as insulation. Any opinions or suggestions.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

insulation

Quote Originally Posted by cherring View Post
    Using an ENO Double Nest and not sure whether to use a foam sleeping pad or an inflatable sleeping pad. Will be using a mummy bag as insulation. Any opinions or suggestions.
    Which type of foam, closed cell (WM blue pad) or open cell (Thermarest)? Or, should I have asked self-inflating (Thermarest) or blow up air pad (Big Agnes, Neo)?

Lots of factors, not the least of which is cost. Warmest by far is the downmat, which is the most expensive, but not too far behind is the cheap blue pad, the least expensive. The others are all a combo of factors that really depend on what you like, want, need, etc.

The blue pads come wide and can be cut to the length you want. The other types of pads mostly come 20" wide which isn't really enough width to keep the cold sides of the hammock off of you. While some of these pads come wide, they also come with additional length which makes the lay worse IMO.

Most comfy pad I ever used was a BA Insulated petite, which was 60" long, so longer than the "short" model. I'm technically 70" and my head and feet hung off the pad, making it seem like I had a flatter lay.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    Foam is less expensive and indestructible. Foam tends to stay in place under you.

Inflatables like to slide out from under you, almost ballistically if you over inflate them. They can leak and are more expensive. But, they are less bulky.

Your choice, but I'd go with an inexpensive CCF.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    WB Adj. webbing

Re: Foam vs Inflatable

My pad for every night sleeping inside in an ENO dbl is a Thermarest Trail light pro - extra large. It is 25" wide and I get a good night sleep on it consistently. Only inflated about half way or as was mentioned it can be hard to keep in place.

I personally have never been able to sleep well on the CCF as I tend to sweat.

I usually use an UQ when I sleep outside.

Everyone is different though.

Hammock
    WBBB, RR, Eno Dn
    Tarp
    WB SF, CB
    Insulation
    WB Mamba, UGQUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, D Clips
    thermarest prolite here, but as stated, the pad is only 20 inches wide, does have grip on the bottom so it does not slip. great pad until one of your body parts (mainly the arms) slips off.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    WB Adj. webbing

Re: Foam vs Inflatable

Yeah when I was using it outside I always carried a couple of pieces of ccf to put at my shoulders. Even 25" wide version can have that problem. Using it inside it isn't an issue.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I find the self-inflating pads most comfy. They have a nicer surface, which could be important to you, too, since you will be using the pad in a single layer hammock. You can control the stiffness by adjusting the air pressure and since the self-inflating pads have foam inside, you don't loose too much insulation capacity. The pad conforms better to your body. And - last but not least: an inflatable pad is way better than a foam pad when having to go to ground. They also pack smaller.

I use a Therm-a-Rest ProLite, and I have never had it lead (knock on wood). I think leaks are more an issue with air pads like the Neo Air etc. Can't talk about down mats since I never used one.

Whichever pad you will be using, you will probably be happier if you also build yourself a SPE.

For an ENO, I'd say inflatable, under inflated. It'll be the most pliable and contour your body vs. the CCF is a little more rigid. CCF is bomb proof but so are those therm-a-rest's, just about. Therm-a-rest is less bulk as well. You can find some good deals if you hunt around. My brother got a trail pro for 30.00.

In general ENO's aren't the greatest hammock for using a pad. You may want to consider a pad to put inside your bag with you, maybe a 1/8" Gossamer Gear or piece of reflectix cut to your bag size specifically.

• + New Posts