Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images

Yeti with overstuff?

According to the description, WB underquilts are already overstuffed. Nonetheless it's possible to buy additional ounces. Does it make sense to add more down? If so, how much makes sense?

Hammock
    DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    According to the description, WB underquilts are already overstuffed. Nonetheless it's possible to buy additional ounces. Does it make sense to add more down? If so, how much makes sense?
    I have a Yeti and it lofts well, better than some that have over stuff.

I will defer to others on whether it makes sense to add additional or not. I have not had the Yeti to it's rated temp so I cannot give you advice based on experience. I have heard on this forum that it is good to 20*.
    John aka Suede

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have an older prototype Yeti 3 season and a Winter Yeti. For me I start getting a little chilly when it gets down below 30 degrees. When it drops below 30 I break out the Winter Yeti. Everyone's cold tolerance is different though. If you only plan to buy one quilt then 3 season with overstuff might not be a bad idea.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Well to much down you loose R value because you actually prevent the down inside the quilt from fully lofting. To little down you end up with air gaps which also makes one cold. Also remember down can only loft up as high as the baffles allow it to.

Warbonnet as well as all of the vendors here on HF IMHO, experience and through talking to several members here on HF who have used a variety of vendors quilts all place enough down in their quilts to reach the designated rated temperature and below for many but certainly not all.

So weather or not to over stuff or not all depends on if you are a cold or hot sleeper (figure five or so extra degrees of warmth per ounce within the limitations of the lofting ability of the quilt meaning just because you put 20 ounces of down in a quilt that only has one inch baffles does not mean you can take the quilt down to zero well you can but I know I'd be cold), if you are concerned with weight or not, and if you plan to push your quilts to their limits and lower. I know of members who can comfortably get below the rated temp of an UQ while in comparison other members need an extra ounce or two of over stuff just to get down to the rated temp. Lots of variables in this decision. Hope my ramblings helped.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I'm an extremely cold sleeper. I guess it's better if I go straight for the Winter Yeti then. I only plan to use it down to around 32°F but my 20°F Incubator wasn't able to get me that low.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Ask the designer, Warbonnetguy. He knows how he shaped it, the characteristics of his down, and what the benefit will be from adding more down.

I don't understand the criterion. If a 20F (full length) Incubator under-quilt (FUQ) leaves you cold at 30F /0C, isn't a partial UQ (PUQ), and a not-very large one at that, something of a risk? Maybe ask Adam at HG or hangnout if that, in their experience of customers, is the right direction: Swapping a full length 20F FUQ for 0F PUQ to meet 30F temp-- when the quality 20F FUQ was insufficient to keep you warm at temps 10F more than its rating.

Hammock
    DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    Ask the designer, Warbonnetguy. He knows how he shaped it, the characteristics of his down, and what the benefit will be from adding more down.

I don't understand the criterion. If a 20F (full length) Incubator under-quilt (FUQ) leaves you cold at 30F /0C, isn't a partial UQ (PUQ), and a not-very large one at that, something of a risk? Maybe ask Adam at HG or hangnout if that, in their experience of customers, is the right direction: Swapping a full length 20F FUQ for 0F PUQ to meet 30F temp-- when the quality 20F FUQ was insufficient to keep you warm at temps 10F more than its rating.
    I find this surprising as well. Could be something else going on with the fit. My LeighLo 30* 66" with 1oz easily took me down to 30*. My yeti lofts more fully when laid out on a table than my LeighLo but when hung correctly does filly loft and I like the extra coverage at my feet. I hear nothing but good things about the incubator and don't recall ever hearing about someone getting cold in it at 30*. Hanginout talks about having the UQ suspension too tight which will compress the loft and reduce its ability to insulate. Just a thought.

In colder/windier conditions I augment my insulation with a 2qzq UQP to help prevent heat loss.
    Last edited by Suede; 05-14-2013 at 05:55.
    John aka Suede

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Already discussed my warmth issues a couple of times in the forum. I have been using the Incubator as directed; I don't think that I'm doing anything wrong, nor is the product at fault. I'm simply a very, very cold sleeper. It doesn't matter if its underquilts or sleeping bags. I never get anywhere near the rating. So I have to plan/buy accordingly.

And yes, I don't know if a partial underquilt is for me. Maybe I should go for the WL underquilt instead, since it's full-length and rated to 10°F.

• + New Posts