Hammock
    DIY DL Plain Weave Nylon Gathered
    Tarp
    DIY Clear Plastic
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopieslings

DIY Hammock with paracord under-net idea...

Hey guys, let me first state that I love these forums. Im VERY new to hammock camping and am just starting to get my materials and plans together to make my own camping gear. I plan to mostly do car-camping, so keeping it to the minimal weight isnt an issue in my designs.

I plan to make everything by hand myself, from the hammock to the whoopieslings to the tarp. Im doing it this way for a few reasons, namely, Im cheap. Secondly, Im a big guy [330#+], so I need things that I feel confident will hold me.

I plan to make my hammock using double layer 1.9 ripstop with gathered ends, it will be 3 yards long with the ripstop doubled up on itself and seams sewn along the edges [so 6 yards folded in half longways]. I've ordered amsteel cordage to use for my whoopieslings as it seems to have incredible weight-bearing capacity. I was considering, though, making a paracord under-net for the hammock. To give it a bit more structural integrity.

I was thinking of making the net be roughly 10' long so it more than covers the length but also gives some extra room if needed, so that it could possibly hold an underquilt when/if needed. As for fastening the net to the hammock, I was planning to make some amsteel softshackles to secure both ends around the gathered ends of the hammock. Id be using 550 paracord because its cheap, yet strong and it wont be doing much actual weight bearing, just supporting the ripstop.

I dont know if what Ive written here properly describes what I see in my mind or not, but if so, does this make sense to you guys? Has this been tried before and proven not to work? Any other suggestions or alternative you guys and your many years of personal knowledge can offer?

Thanks in advance!!

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemeos View Post
    ...I plan to make my hammock using double layer 1.9 ripstop with gathered ends, it will be 3 yards long with the ripstop doubled up on itself and seams sewn along the edges [so 6 yards folded in half longways]...

...I was considering, though, making a paracord under-net for the hammock. To give it a bit more structural integrity....
    Welcome to HF. Making your own setup can be a great way to start.

I strongly recommend you start out with at least 7 to 8 yards of material. You will lose at least 6" of length to the end channels and even a 9' hammock is on the short side for comfort.

The paracord under-net is not needed for "structural integrity" at all and would tend to compress an under quilt's insulation making it less effective. I would abandon this idea.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Welcome to the forum from Greensboro!

If you want more confidence in your materials, look at the plain weave nylon on this page:

http://www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com/p...hable-fabrics/

I have made two hammocks with this and really like it. I think it is possibly more breathable than 1.9 too if that matters to you. I have not done what you describe with the paracord, but check out the link in my signature line to see if this gives you any ideas about an extra layer.

Good luck!

Lynn

Hammock
    DIY DL Plain Weave Nylon Gathered
    Tarp
    DIY Clear Plastic
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopieslings
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Welcome to HF. Making your own setup can be a great way to start.

I strongly recommend you start out with at least 7 to 8 yards of material. You will lose at least 6" of length to the end channels and even a 9' hammock is on the short side for comfort.

The paracord under-net is not needed for "structural integrity" at all and would tend to compress an under quilt's insulation making it less effective. I would abandon this idea.
    Thanks, Ill keep that in mind when I get my material! As for the paracord cargo-net, I appreciate the input. I think with the material Hiknhanger suggested I will feel confident even without the net beneath!

Quote Originally Posted by Hiknhanger View Post
    Welcome to the forum from Greensboro!

If you want more confidence in your materials, look at the plain weave nylon on this page:

http://www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com/p...hable-fabrics/

I have made two hammocks with this and really like it. I think it is possibly more breathable than 1.9 too if that matters to you. I have not done what you describe with the paracord, but check out the link in my signature line to see if this gives you any ideas about an extra layer.

Good luck!

Lynn

Thanks! Ill have to see if anywhere around me has any plain nylon available. According to this nifty chart I found in my research, the plain weave has a weight of 210gsm, which comes to a 6.2 versus the 1.9 ripstop which has a weight of 62gsm. So if warbird suggests a double 1.9 for 275lbs-400lbs [which comes to 3.8] then 6.9 should be more than enough, even with just a single layer of it. The price isnt much different either.

Unless Ive totally misunderstood that chart LOL

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemeos View Post
    Thanks, Ill keep that in mind when I get my material! As for the paracord cargo-net, I appreciate the input. I think with the material Hiknhanger suggested I will feel confident even without the net beneath!

Thanks! Ill have to see if anywhere around me has any plain nylon available. According to this nifty chart I found in my research, the plain weave has a weight of 210gsm, which comes to a 6.2 versus the 1.9 ripstop which has a weight of 62gsm. So if warbird suggests a double 1.9 for 275lbs-400lbs [which comes to 3.8] then 6.9 should be more than enough, even with just a single layer of it. The price isnt much different either.

Unless Ive totally misunderstood that chart LOL
    Just order from Scott at Backwoods Daydreamer. He ships quickly and tries to keep it as economical as possible. I would get 8 yd. of material if you stick with the double layer idea too. This stuff is pretty cheap and it is easier to have too much than come up short!

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Glad to see a new hammocker diving into the DIY field...Welcome to hammocking also..Here is some pointers for ya from my experience with making using hammocks.
    Unless you are shorter than 5' 6" I would be sure to change that 6 yards to 8 yards. You will not be able to achieve the desired Diagonal lay in such a short hammock unless you dont mind your head and feet hanging out.. As for the cargo net..The fabric is stronger than the net, and the fact that you have a double layer of 1.9 is already plenty of enough strength. That paracord net will not hold you if that fabric can't. I have seen 300lbs in 1.1 oz Ripstop nylon with no issues. You have basically quadruple that with your design.

• + New Posts