Night Owl
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator/BA Bag
    Suspension
    Straps and a loop.

Hello from AZ

I thought that I had posted my introduction before, but my stats say I have zero posts, so here I am.

I grew up camping at least once a month but after earning my Eagle Scout award and hitting dating age my love for the outdoors somehow was completely neglected. I did register for a lot of camping gear when I got married 14 years ago, and we used to go regularly until we started having children. My wife is kind of a clean freak and didn't like being in the middle of no where with little ones.

Now that my boys are older I've become involved in the Boy Scouts program as a leader and I am back to camping once a month. Over the years I've put on some weight and so sleeping on the ground isn't the most comfortable experience. Someone recommended I check out a hammock and I've been lurking this site for the past year or so.

I ended up getting a Traveler Hammock from Byer by Main for a sale at REI for $20 and that has really saved my back sleeping. Being a larger guy at 6' 275 lbs, the traveler is a little small for me so I need to upgrade it. I was looking at a WBBB for a while, but living in AZ I don't find that I really need a bug net. The traveler paired with my 12' Noah's tarp has been doing a good job, other than the tight fit in the hammock (it's too small for me to get a good diagonal lay). I've heard great things about the Night Owl and Lite Owl and I like the price. Right now I just have a Big Agnes Bag that I put my Exped Synmat into (under inflated) so I haven't had to purchase an underquilt etc. I think that I'd like to end up in a JRB over and under quilt eventually.

We do a lot of hiking, so weight is a consideration, but being as big as I am, I don't really notice the difference of a few pounds.

If anyone has any tips about Night Owl vs Lite Owl (besides the obvious weight limit rating that says I should buy a Night Owl). Also tips about an underquilt vs using the pad that I'm in now.

The Big Agnes system is OK, but I find that since it is a rectangle shape, with a pad inserted there is always a lot of empty space at the feet. I usually end up throwing some cloths down there to take up the extra space, but a quilt with a foot box would probably work better. I also wonder about it preventing a good diagonal lay even if I do get a larger hammock. Does anyone have any experience with the Big Agnes system on a hammock?

Hammock
    WL Nite Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    KAQ under, WL over
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Well I have been told that many people hang in a lite owl who weigh more than the official rating. I decided on the nite owl because I was right on the borderline and did not mind a few more ounces in the pack.

Welcome to the forum!

• + New Posts