WBBB XLC 1.7 DBL w/winter cover
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopies

newbie HH setup help???

I bought second two HH hammocks. Ultralight Backpacker Asym(bottom entry) and Expedition Zip.
    Set it up ok but reading alot tells me my angles might be off?
    An other thing is??
    Can the Ridgline be adjusted or is it set as is?
    Which side should my head be?
    There was no instructions with the hammocks so I really don't want to break it.
    I am thinking to try a whoopie conversion too. Is that a good Idea?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by AngryDaddyBird; 06-22-2013 at 12:04.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Ridgeline is set. Use it a bit before you start fooling around as most folks find it is good out of the factory.
    There are many video's on how to set it up through both the Hennessy site and YouTube as well as a search here.

Put your head wherever it is comfortable for you. Even if you are a dedicated side sleeper try starting on your back. Many of us find we back sleep in the hammock and side sleep on a mattress.

The only way to break it is to start messing with the suspension attached to the hammock. If you want to try other suspension options get a pair of rappel rings or spare carabiners and clove hitch them to the existing lines just past where the last prussic is attached. Put any kind of suspension you want from the tree huggers to the rings. Play with all the suspension systems that look interesting. By that time you will have enough nights on the hammock to have a clue about how it should feel and about what suspension you want so you can do what is needed to finalize a system.

FWIW Re Whoopee's. Their only advantage is they save a couple of ounces. OTOH they are fussy and easy to screw up. A lot of us use other systems like straps and buckles that are faster, less fiddly and totally attached to the hammock so we do not forget parts. They also have a strong following here who will tell anyone listening that they are a gift from the gods. I suggest you try them but also try the alternatives. Then you can make an informed decision. I have several different suspensions just because I like to play.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Backpacker Asym
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    MSH,Whoopie slings

newbie HH setup help???

Quote Originally Posted by AngryDaddyBird View Post
    I bought second two HH hammocks. Ultralight Backpacker and Expedition Zip.
    Set it up ok but reading alot tells me my angles might be off?
    An other thing is??
    Can the Ridgline be adjusted or is it set as is?
    Which side should my head be?
    There was no instructions with the hammocks so I really don't want to break it.
    I am thinking to try a whoopie conversion too. Is that a good Idea?
    Thanks.
    hi AngryDaddyBird!

Check out the Hennessy site: http://hennessyhammock.com/
    They have videos of how to set it up. If i were you, I'd go with the stock suspension for a few nights before you consider whoopies. You may find that the standard hennessy lashing is all you need. Good luck with your hammocks!
    Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.
    - John Muir

Hammock
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    Ridgeline is set. Use it a bit before you start fooling around as most folks find it is good out of the factory.
    There are many video's on how to set it up through both the Hennessy site and YouTube as well as a search here.

Put your head wherever it is comfortable for you. Even if you are a dedicated side sleeper try starting on your back. Many of us find we back sleep in the hammock and side sleep on a mattress.

The only way to break it is to start messing with the suspension attached to the hammock. If you want to try other suspension options get a pair of rappel rings or spare carabiners and clove hitch them to the existing lines just past where the last prussic is attached. Put any kind of suspension you want from the tree huggers to the rings. Play with all the suspension systems that look interesting. By that time you will have enough nights on the hammock to have a clue about how it should feel and about what suspension you want so you can do what is needed to finalize a system.

FWIW Re Whoopee's. Their only advantage is they save a couple of ounces. OTOH they are fussy and easy to screw up. A lot of us use other systems like straps and buckles that are faster, less fiddly and totally attached to the hammock so we do not forget parts. They also have a strong following here who will tell anyone listening that they are a gift from the gods. I suggest you try them but also try the alternatives. Then you can make an informed decision. I have several different suspensions just because I like to play.
    Good Advice! I think I will set it up tomorrow and sleep in it for the weekend. Then go from there.
    I think leaving it as is will be fine for now. I do like the strap suspensions over whoopie systems!
    I am glad I didn't mess with anything:-)on it. Might have messed things up! If it aint broke don't fix it!

Hammock
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by shhQuiet View Post
    hi AngryDaddyBird!

Check out the Hennessy site: http://hennessyhammock.com/
    They have videos of how to set it up. If i were you, I'd go with the stock suspension for a few nights before you consider whoopies. You may find that the standard hennessy lashing is all you need. Good luck with your hammocks!
    I agree. Use it as is before I screw it up!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    If they're the zip models (I know one is, but the other one could be the bottom entry, the way that's worded), then it really doesn't matter which way you lie in it, as long as your left shoulder and right knee are by the pull-outs. Personally, I find having my left shoulder by the zip side easiest to get in and out, but that's just me. If one is the bottom entry, then simply push yourself through the slit, sit down, and match up shoulder and knee with the pull-outs when you lie back.

As to hang angle, my personal preference is to have the foot end (whichever you wind up choosing for that) approximately 4" to 8" higher than the head end. I prefer the tension on the suspension to be such as to allow me to turn the ridgeline with thumb and forefinger 90* to 180* with my weight in the hammock. Anything less than 90* gives me shoulder squeeze, and anything more'n 180* winds up with the netting sagging into my face and giving me enough knee hyperextension that my heel on my straight leg (I usually lie in a figure-4 position) will hurt come morning.

YMMV, but that's what works for me for maximum comfort. Play with it and see what you prefer; everyone's a little different.

If you want to try out a ring/strap or cinch buckle/strap suspension rather than the stock, you can do so without cutting your line or swapping it out for anything else. Just use the Hennessy lashing to attach to the rings or cinch buckle with the stock line and then hank the rest to keep it from dragging on the ground. I've had 50+ nights with that, except that when I decided to move over to the other suspension, I cut the excess line off (which was a weight decision, not because it interfered with anything).

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hi ADB, I'm new here as well. When I started hanging my HH ed this winter i was also thinking of changing to whoopies as well. The stock lashing was time consuming to adjust. I then watched Professor Hammocks suspension video again and tried the marlin spike hitch with the stock suspension. It's worked great for me.
    Howard

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Suspension
    stock / webbing

newbie HH setup help???

This is my current set up. 7/64th amsteel around MSH using climbing rated biner as a "sliding" suspension. I just tie a MSH into the the other end of the amsteel to make the easiest knot to undo after loadingImageUploadedByTapatalk1371919216.455651.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1371919235.485872.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1371919255.938944.jpg

Hammock
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    If they're the zip models (I know one is, but the other one could be the bottom entry, the way that's worded), then it really doesn't matter which way you lie in it, as long as your left shoulder and right knee are by the pull-outs. Personally, I find having my left shoulder by the zip side easiest to get in and out, but that's just me. If one is the bottom entry, then simply push yourself through the slit, sit down, and match up shoulder and knee with the pull-outs when you lie back.

As to hang angle, my personal preference is to have the foot end (whichever you wind up choosing for that) approximately 4" to 8" higher than the head end. I prefer the tension on the suspension to be such as to allow me to turn the ridgeline with thumb and forefinger 90* to 180* with my weight in the hammock. Anything less than 90* gives me shoulder squeeze, and anything more'n 180* winds up with the netting sagging into my face and giving me enough knee hyperextension that my heel on my straight leg (I usually lie in a figure-4 position) will hurt come morning.

YMMV, but that's what works for me for maximum comfort. Play with it and see what you prefer; everyone's a little different.

If you want to try out a ring/strap or cinch buckle/strap suspension rather than the stock, you can do so without cutting your line or swapping it out for anything else. Just use the Hennessy lashing to attach to the rings or cinch buckle with the stock line and then hank the rest to keep it from dragging on the ground. I've had 50+ nights with that, except that when I decided to move over to the other suspension, I cut the excess line off (which was a weight decision, not because it interfered with anything).

Hope it helps!
    Thanks for the great tips! Much appreciated...

Hammock
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc P View Post
    Hi ADB, I'm new here as well. When I started hanging my HH ed this winter i was also thinking of changing to whoopies as well. The stock lashing was time consuming to adjust. I then watched Professor Hammocks suspension video again and tried the marlin spike hitch with the stock suspension. It's worked great for me.
    Howard
    I have to check that out!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast