Multiple hammock stand with central pole?

I've been digging around, but haven't found anything yet. (Or perhaps I missed it.) Has anyone done research with a multiple hammock stand radiating out from a central pole? What size and design central pole would be needed to support up to 8 hammocks? How about the perimeter hang points? One pole with two lines? 'V' shaped leg poles with 1 line?

My goal would be to set up the central pole in several different camp sites and just take the perimeter poles/guidelines with me.

I do not have enough room to set up multiple tensegrity or three person hammock stands.

Is there another design for hanging multiple hammocks that is simpler? (Besides trees.

I should mention I would regularly have 8-12 persons hanging.

Any suggestions welcome.

Hammock
    DIY 11'
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Sleep bag
    Suspension
    Home made Whoopies
    See this picture posted by Derek Hansen of a multiple hammock system in use at a Scout National Jamboree. http://bit.ly/KR1AKs

Looks like what you are describing.

Interesting, but a few more poles than I was looking for. Ok, I'll keep looking and post something if I do any trials.

Hammock
    $20 yukon outfitters
    Tarp
    Eno Dry Fly
    Insulation
    enLightened UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    as shaky as the thing looks the handy could serve as the outside support and depending on how portable you want it a centerpole could be as easy as a 4x4 or 3in steel pipe with a good base and opposing guy lines could do. if its a perminant fixture 3" galvinized pipe with a cemented in base. just run an eye bolt through the post and anchor a climbing anchor on the other side. then run a turnbuckle guy to a sturdy stake. with 8 anchor lines even running at a 25 degree angle (not to interfere with a hammock) the set up would be very sturdy.

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Are you talking about a permanent structure or a portable one?
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    The problem will be keeping it in column, which means equal guy lines running from the center pole to the perimeter poles and then those poles equally anchored.

That is how big top tents work.

I wonder it you could mod a small surplus parachute. Then you've have shade and partial protection from anything but the worst storm, which might blow everything away.

Big tops have walls to keep the wind from kiting the whole shebang off into the sky.

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

The center pole would be permanent. Or at least the foundation would be. Perhaps a solid cement base (as @ataris121 mentioned) with a hole in which to put the central pole. The other option would be a tree.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by easternjourney View Post
    The center pole would be permanent. Or at least the foundation would be. Perhaps a solid cement base (as @ataris121 mentioned) with a hole in which to put the central pole. The other option would be a tree.
    This could work depending on how beefy a pole you use. As a backup, if you're only going to use one hammock for some reason you could tie the pole off to stakes.

I imagine if you welded some chain links opposite where the hammock suspension meets the pole you could run the suspension through that and it should only experience downward force as the pole would bear the horizontal pull. You could vary the height of each link so the suspensions don't cross up. If I didn't explain this well I can try and draw a picture to illustrate what I mean.

Of course I'm not an engineer, just a former farm kid. We made some wacky stuff growing up to tie the horses up to. Be safe, my advice is not guaranteed to work, just makes sense to me.

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by easternjourney View Post
    Ahh, well that's a whole other problem from portable stand. Yes, I think you could easily do that. I think I'd be tempted to sink something large like a telephone pole into the ground. You need strength for 10 hangers and you also need circumference to have points around the pole to attach to.

Then if your outlying poles are inverted "V" arrangements, you can either use a rigid ridge pole for each hanger, or you can use cordage and anchor the "V" away from the center pole.

Materials you use are bound to be determined by what's available where you are I suppose.
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    KAQ,WB,Ham. Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch clips, strap
    A few years ago someone posted a picture here of steel posts cemented in the ground making a area for 8 hangers to hang around a center pole at some resort in the Philippines. Center steel post had a steel ring around the top that ends of the hammock were clipped in and 8 smaller steel posts cemented on the outside perimeter. They also added those triangular sunshade things overhead to act as tarps.

• + New Posts