DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Welcome aboard! I'll second (or third) the note about the Blackbird double layer. Definately go that route, it adds very little weight but allows you to insulate the hammock during colder nights. Because the pads are between the 2 bottom layers they don't slip around or bunch up as much and are more effective. Using a single layer bottom hammock will be harder to stay warm unless you invest in a more expensive underquilt. Being a newbie myself I just couldn't afford to buy the additional underquilt after shelling out the dough for the hammock and tarp. The CCF padding is cheap and readily available.

My only experience is the Blackbird & so far I love it, very comfortable. Don't worry about the open netting on the top, when you're covered up under a quilt or sleeping bag you'll be warm and the ventilation will prevent condensation. The shelf is nice for storing items needed during the night. Good luck and I hope you enjoy the switch to hammock camping as much as I have so far!
    Last edited by GvilleDave; 02-25-2009 at 14:25.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Hobo,

Which ever way you choose to hang.... The bottom insulation will ultimately define your comfort.... Under quilts are much less bulky than pads and space will be your crunch point...

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Hobo,

Which ever way you choose to hang.... The bottom insulation will ultimately define your comfort.... Under quilts are much less bulky than pads and space will be your crunch point...

Pan
    Gotta go with Pan on this one. Pads work, quilts work better. But, and this is a big "but", don't ever try one if you aren't prepared to spend some money. It's hard to sleep on a pad, then try an underquilt, and then go back to the pad. I tried it and I'm now responsible for the death of many a goose!
    Trust nobody!

Images
    I would say the difference between Hennessey and his competitors would be the fact that the Hennessey Hammock has not evolved in years. Perhaps getting so wrung up in the patent mess keeps one from looking outside the box?...

Another difference would be an isolationist approach vs. an approach of embracing the community you are catering to. Considering how many manufacturers are active posters here on HF, you would think HH would get a clue, but perhaps that is why there is such a lack of innovation at that company!

Evidence:

http://hennessyhammock.com/new-products.html

Check out their "new products" page from '07!

My advice to you would be to support an innovative, active member here at the forum, and go with Warbonnett.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123