DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    They should be able to be mounted at the tarp--it depends on what kind you bought. If they're like a Dutch Fly or a Nite-Ize Figure-9, it shouldn't be a problem. Another option is to put Prusik or Klemheist knots on the tie-outs, and then run the guyline from them down to the stake (less weight, but also slightly more trouble to initially set up and then adjust, particularly with the smaller diameter cords).

The CRL is so that the tarp is easy to put up; I just clip one end using a mini 'biner and then tie off the other end with a round turn and slippery half-hitch combo. The tarp is attached to the CRL with a pair of Klemheist knots and adjusts back and forth on the CRL without any real tying or untying required. Also, it lets me use Velcro cable ties to bundle the tarp up (similar to a snake skin, but they allow the tarp to breathe more in my opinion, speeding dry time), since the ties attach to the CRL and then go around the tarp. And, yes, it's a great place to hang wet stuff to dry, as well.

Hope it helps!
    Ha! Yes, that cable tie suggestion helps -- I was pondering stuff sack vs. snake skins -- the cable ties would be much better.

I bought these micro line locs: http://www.ultralightdesigns.com/pro...oLoc-Glow.html

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSH View Post
    Ha! Yes, that cable tie suggestion helps -- I was pondering stuff sack vs. snake skins -- the cable ties would be much better.

I bought these micro line locs: http://www.ultralightdesigns.com/pro...oLoc-Glow.html

You should be able to use them at the tie-out points. However, from the way that they look like they work, they'll be further out the more tension you achieve with them--so you may have to stick more of your body out from under the tarp to adjust than just your hands.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    HH Expedition, DIY
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    A cuben tarp is on my todo list but it may be a while... I notice that people are cutting cat curves on them and I wonder if that is because you can get it tight enough along the edges or folks just don't want to was the material.

Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    Also, it lets me use Velcro cable ties to bundle the tarp up (similar to a snake skin, but they allow the tarp to breathe more in my opinion, speeding dry time), since the ties attach to the CRL and then go around the tarp. And, yes, it's a great place to hang wet stuff to dry, as well.

Hope it helps!
    Now I have to go home and weight my snake skin, and some velcro ties...
    "truth is uncontainable, and inexpressible. It neither is nor is not.
    This unformulated principle is the foundation of the different systems of all the sages."
    Diamond Sutra

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ciphoto View Post
    A cuben tarp is on my todo list but it may be a while... I notice that people are cutting cat curves on them and I wonder if that is because you can get it tight enough along the edges or folks just don't want to was the material.

Now I have to go home and weight my snake skin, and some velcro ties...
    Remember to add the difference of the extra cord for a CRL if you're going to compare weights and don't already use one. It'll make a small but noticeable difference.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Images
    Great looking tarp, Mike! I really like the extra tieout points for different setups. You shouldn't need to worry about re-tightening your tarp in the rain, cuben doesn't stretch like sil does. I just use prusiks on my guylines with a tiny dutch hook on it. Attach the hook to the loop of cord on my stake, and pull tight, keeping the excess cord out of the way coiled by the stake. Or, if I make stakes on sight, I'll just wrap it around and hook it on itself. Simple, no plastic pieces to break. Also, I'm really liking the snake skins I recently got. Have more material? Maybe you could make a set with cuben to go with your new cuben tarp...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    Great looking tarp, Mike! I really like the extra tieout points for different setups. You shouldn't need to worry about re-tightening your tarp in the rain, cuben doesn't stretch like sil does. I just use prusiks on my guylines with a tiny dutch hook on it. Attach the hook to the loop of cord on my stake, and pull tight, keeping the excess cord out of the way coiled by the stake. Or, if I make stakes on sight, I'll just wrap it around and hook it on itself. Simple, no plastic pieces to break. Also, I'm really liking the snake skins I recently got. Have more material? Maybe you could make a set with cuben to go with your new cuben tarp...
    Thanks, Chris! I'm happy with it but wish I had an adequate home shop to do projects as well as envisioned. This work is akin to cabinet making where large, table level work surfaces are nice for precise fitments. I can easily see how jigs and clamps might have helped. That extra 1/4" on one side baffles me.

Yes, I can see the benefits of Dutchware and will probably invest in some down the line. Got some mule tape from chazham today and will figure out tree straps/suspension for this tarp.

Don't have much left-over material. But as per cihoto's comment above it might serve to "weigh" the options.

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor

Tarp Suspension Completed

Here's the suspension for my new tarp. It is based on dehojah's CRL except I ran it through minibiniers on tree straps. I understand that many feel tree straps are not necessary for a tarp but I beg to differ so was very happy when chazham sent me a hank of mule tape that made two excellent huggers.

Mike

Images
    I used to run a line from under the ridgeline, just to hang stuff off of, but it would soak up the rain water, and run down to the center and start dripping on me. You may be batter off runnng the line over the tarp, will probably give you a tighter pitch, and serve as a small blocker for any small falling branches...

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    I used to run a line from under the ridgeline, just to hang stuff off of, but it would soak up the rain water, and run down to the center and start dripping on me. You may be batter off runnng the line over the tarp, will probably give you a tighter pitch, and serve as a small blocker for any small falling branches...
    Do you think a piece of string or yarn tied tightly at the junction might serve as a drip break?

Mike

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images

Re: CF3 Ordered for DIY Tarp

Dude that is a swwweeet looking tarp. I really like the extra side tie outs, it makes it a truly 4 season tarp.

Most tarps only have a couple of side tie outs or loads on all edges, you seem to have a great balance for maximum versatility, I may use this for my next tarp, although it will be a sil version.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast