Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images

"Easy" suvival weekend

OK, finally got in touch with my Mom today: We are ON for doing a survival type weekend at her place. The date, cause it is one of my off weekends & Matt has it off also: June 22 & 23. I will be there on the 21st cause it will give me time with Mom & I'll get to explore a bit as I haven't been in that part of the property in about 5 years.
    About Mom's place:
    It's on a creek called Dry Fork, so water can & does vanish quickly at times. It can also flood fairly quickly but rarely at that time of year. Rarely.
    By my calculations "Our area" is about 4 acres, and Mom said we can go pretty much anywhere we need to, so let's say 6 to 7 acres. There is about 1/8 mile of creek, with at least (last time I was there & most of my childhood) 2 fairly deep & reliable pools.
    I have never not seen at least one Carp. 4 or more Crawdads, & a fairly large Catfish.
    The farm is just west of the tiny town of Okeana Ohio & about 7 miles or less from the Indiana border. The Main road into town (not the road mom lives on) goes from Ross Ohio to Brookville Indiana.
    Directions & address will be PMed to those wanting to come.
    WARNINGS: I know there are snapping turtles in the creek! A medium size (shell the size of a dinner plate) can lop off a finger like a hot knife through butter! There ARE poisonous snakes in / around the water; Copperheads & water moccasins mostly, but Rattlers have been seen by me less than 30 miles away. Skunks live in the area. My Mom's dog ABSOLUTELY LOVES EVERYONE! Not really a danger, but Scarlet can be a huge PEST!!

What the event is mostly about: a camping trip on private property with the expressed intent of learning & practicing survival skills. You can bring whatever you are willing to carry the (apx) 1/4 mile to camp central. WHY? Because we are LEARNING skills or at least practicing in a safe environment. Matt has been to a few classes, but all of my "skills" were learned from TV, so I really need this!
    What I hope to do:
    Build a shelter with nothing but a knife & the para-cord from my survival bracelet (Not actually using a bracelet, or para-cord, will be bringing 8' of fake PC just for the experiment.
    Build a fire with: just my ferro steel, bow drill, trough method, ONE match, "however".
    Build an emergency fire with WET wood. (one of the things I plan on doing Friday is put some various sized wood pieces IN the creek, held in place UNDER water with rocks)
    Find / catch food. I hope to have at least one meal with the mass of a fast food dinner. Hope springs eternal. LOL
    Plus whatever challenges we can come up with.

Reminder, do NOT use the toilet less than 100' from the creek please! Perhaps we can designate, or at least measure out a "Privy area".

So, any takers? So far it's Matt, my son Jon & I.

Just occurred to me: If you are a new hanger, or not yet a hanger but want to give that a try, come on down & we can work on those skills too! Sorry; My only spare sets will be used by Matt & Jon.
    Last edited by Doctari; 05-16-2013 at 14:10.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Just wanted to wish you guys well on your weekend. I noticed you said you learned all your skill from TV. If you don't already know of him you might have a look at IA Woodsman on You Tube. Very experienced fella and the video's are easy to watch,,no bullsh*t.

bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Custom Trail Lair; Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    Noahs 12
    Insulation
    Incubator/Bandit 0
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I'll check my calendar and see if I can swing it. I will also talk with my brother-in-law and see if he is interested.
    I remember you posting this a couple months ago and he expressed interest at that time. I'll keep monitoring site and let you know as soon as I can.
    Thanks for the invite.

Hammock
    Eno dn/BAIS
    Tarp
    real tree hunters
    Insulation
    peapod
    Suspension
    whoopie

"Easy" suvival weekend

Sounds like a great time. Two things, useless you shave soaked wood down to tooth picks it won't burn. Second thing turtles are good eating and make a bowl and a plate out of the shell.

Watch this, he is the most realistic training I've taken.

http://youtu.be/FV5ShSNIdfY
    Carpe noctem!!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Thanks all! Even if we don't do the survival stuff right, at least it will be a learning experience.

The soaked wood is a personal thing: at Mt Rogers this year EVERY THING was SOAKING WET and frozen / freezing, so I want to at least give starting very wet wood a go. In one test, I'm going to use one 15 minute road flair as the starter. Granted, it won't be frozen, but at least I'll have practice.

Hammock
    Home Made from Acer
    Tarp
    Kelty
    Insulation
    Body Fat
    Suspension
    Mule's Special
    Images
    I'm interested...I obtained some skills with
    While in the service. I will bring flint and steel, and a mag glass, my boiler and a blanket. Should be a good time.
    The only Easy day was yesterday.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry ( the Hiker ) View Post
    I'm interested...I obtained some skills with
    While in the service. I will bring flint and steel, and a mag glass, my boiler and a blanket. Should be a good time.
    Terrific! PM sent soon.

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth Double
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Wool, Down
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Well, I'm gonna have to take a pass. Was originally pretty excited about this, but that weekend my church is doing a backpacking trip at red river gorge that weekend. Good luck, and have fun!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    GT funky forest
    Insulation
    experimenting
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Actually sounds like something I would love but our family is on vacation that week and will be spending time on a working ranch and then with family...if you do this again, I would definitely be interested...trust you'll have a great time.
    “A man is as free as he chooses to make himself, never an atom freer.”

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    MY plan is another in LATE fall. Going to try for just before all of the leaves are gone.
    I don't do heat very well, but MAY do a summer one if I learn enough at this one. Problem is, Dry Fork creek is very aptly named as it can go almost totally dry over it's nearly 100 mile length.

Matt is doing a "very primitive" one "somewhere not far from Eastfork park"
    He says with minimal gear, like a knife & a way to start fire. Will talk to him about going on that, but is on the property of one of his co workers, so I'm not sure what or who they are willing to have along.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast