Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock Expedition Asym

Just got a HH Expedition, have some important questions!

Hey guys, so I just got my HH Expedition in the mail today and I went outside to set it up. Lets just say that it didn't go as well as I had hoped. I think I set it up fine, but when I tried to get in with my sleeping bag and CCF pad it didn't go too well. I have the bottom entry, and positioning the pad seemed **** near impossible. And once I got in and tried to lay on the pad, it would get all crinkled up and folded over and I could never lay on it right, a shoulder or half my body was always hanging off. And getting in the sleeping bag was a PITA as well. Any advice on how to get in with the pad easier? To get the pad to lay flatter and not crinkle up and fold over when you get on-top of it? Thanks!

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer UL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Dream
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/JCP TQ
    Suspension
    WS/MSH
    Images
    Put the pad in the bag, step into the bag in the opening of the hammock, then lay down.

Alternatively you can flood the pad in half and lay it in the hammock unfold it after you lay down. Open up your sleeping bag down to almost the end as a footbox and use the bag as a quilt.

what I've done is to lay the pad in at the angle i'm going to sleep at then, fold the pad just enough to clear the opening, throw the bag in to the head end, get in then unfold the pad then cover up with the bag, the pad still folds up some around my shoulders but works. planning to make a pluq for warm weather.

Hammock
    Is it possible that the way the hammock is hung up could affect the flatness of the sleeping pad?

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Nar Nar View Post
    Is it possible that the way the hammock is hung up could affect the flatness of the sleeping pad?
    Absolutely. It's a bit of a trial and error thing.

You might also consider making "pad extenders", which help to ensure that the pad is wide enough under your shoulders/torso. It would have the added benfit of reducing some of that 'slip' of the pad in the hammock. If I recall correctly, some folks have also added beads of silicon to the underside of the pad to increase the friction between pad and hammock, helping to hold it in place a little better.

I agree with owl, it's very much it's trial and error! The best advice I received/ found was to start loose and tighten until your comfortable. I've found that I need my feet about a foot higher than my head and the unweighted hang angle about 15 to 20 degrees. I've also started using the marlin spike hitch. used Grizzies "professor Hammock" video on suspension, works great for me. The second video is about using cords, towards the end he talks about using two toggles which is what i did last time out. Used an old plastic coat hanger that had broken. I cut it into 4 pieces about 3 inches long for my toggles. made adjustment really easy and much quicker. also dont need to cut or swap out for woopie slings yet.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Web for now

Just got a HH Expedition, have some important questions!

Get rid of it and get a side entry hammock! I'm only semi-joking though. I had a bottom entry HH that I was trying to use with a pad and hated it. I was still recovering from surgery at the time, and it was just to dang hard to work it.

I also moved to an underquilt instead of a pad and that made it 100% more enjoyable.

Might not be the advice you're looking for, but that's the route I took.

Hammock
    HH Exped / DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    Etowah 10X10
    Insulation
    JRB Grey3/HR
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    I find it easier to enter my bottom entry by first laying the pad, then opening the bag all the way. I then face the head end through the slit, kneel onto the bag / pad step in and roll towards the bulk of the bag. Rather than trying to slide into the bag, I find it easier to step into it.

Images
    I had the same experience my first trip out with a pad. What I found was that with the pad the bag winds up being better as a TQ. I place the pad in (note my pad is 30" x 48" DIY - bottom quarter is folded back toward the head of the hammock) then lay the bag fully open along the right side of the hammock. Sit down, lay back, let the closure close, push the last quarter of the pad down with my feet and lay the bag over me to complete.

Mine is a mummy bag so the feet go in the box and I'm snug as a bug.

I should say this for full disclosure. Just ordered a UQ and will be sending my Explorer to 2QZQ for a Mod 4 later this month. I'm keeping the under entry for times when I can and will use it.

Hammock
    Thanks for the replies guys. The reason I decided to go with a pad rather than an underquilt was so that I have the option to stay in a shelter if it's raining and I don't feel like putting up the hammock. For summer Vermont weather, will a pad cut just below the knees suffice for insulation?

• + New Posts