DIY WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HG20* Inc., MH Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie!

Setting up an Incubator

Just got a 20 degree incubator last week. A few test lays and I'm really liking it.

Temps in my area aren't going to be cold again for a long time, so I won't be able to test its cold weather abilities until I make it to the mountains.

One question I've got is setting up the incubator.

I'm noticing that when I've got adjusted so that my feet and head are contained in the UQ my butt falls just below the transition of the differential cut. The area where the baffles go from larger to smaller. Should I be aiming to have my butt fall in the larger baffles, smaller baffles or does it matter?

Hammock
    BlackBird dbl 1.1+Dutchware
    Tarp
    SuperFly+Dutchware
    Insulation
    HG & Mamba
    Suspension
    Straps+Dutchware
    Images
    I always have my Incubator top edge just covering my shoulders. My head is insulated by my favorite trail pillow + headgear. For me this puts everything where it needs to be.
    The 20 deg UQ is a great piece of kit. I have had mine down into the mid teens-with the right sleeping layers and slept comfortably.
    I do suggest Dutch products for your UQ. They are light and really help you
    dial in your rig.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench,a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free,and good men die like dogs.There's also a negative side"
    Hunter S. Thompson

Greg

Images
    Subscribing - really interested in the experts take on this one.

Hammock
    DIY WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HG20* Inc., MH Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Just spent 2 nights in my hammock. Temps didn't get below 50degress and spent much of that time with just the Incubator and half in my sleeping bag. The incubator works much better than the Jarbridge that it's replacing. Stays over my shoulders and feet with no need for the dutch quilt clips that I needed with the Jarbridge.

Won't know for a while if I have it dialed in for the cold, but so far so good.

Packs about 2/3 the size of the Jarbridge as well, which is a nice bonus.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Looking forward to mine arriving soon. Just dreaming of setting it up now!

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

butt spot

Quote Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
    ...Should I be aiming to have my butt fall in the larger baffles, smaller baffles or does it matter?
    I would think so, that you want the more substantial down to be around your torso, including your butt. Surprised there haven't been more responses. Frankly, I've never seen where my butt falls, so I'm going to have to rig some pics to see.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    DIY WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HG20* Inc., MH Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    I would think so, that you want the more substantial down to be around your torso, including your butt. Surprised there haven't been more responses. Frankly, I've never seen where my butt falls, so I'm going to have to rig some pics to see.
    I didn't see where it fell, I could feel with my hand where the taper was, and knew where my butt was.

Images
    I just got mine early last week and hung overnight last weekend. I have to confess I was clueless on how to set it up. I clipped the S-biners to the suspension and ran the shock cord tie outs from my HH Expl through the rings on the side to keep it from sliding around. Adjusted the cordlocks at the ends to eliminate the drafts and said a little prayer.

It got into the lower 50s that Friday night and I was super comfy. It was a little windy and I was in porch mode and to lazy to change it so I had to use my bag over me a little to stay toasty but it was a great night. I'll get a couple more chances to rig it up in the backyard in a couple weeks to play with the set up but if it ain't broke I ain't screwin' with success.

Hammock
    BlackBird dbl 1.1+Dutchware
    Tarp
    SuperFly+Dutchware
    Insulation
    HG & Mamba
    Suspension
    Straps+Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
    . Should I be aiming to have my butt fall in the larger baffles, smaller baffles or does it matter?
    Yes, butt inside the larger baffles. The transition should be just below the butt.
    For me this places the top just over my shoulders.

I replaced the S-biners with some Dutch thingies ( I forget what they are called ).
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench,a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free,and good men die like dogs.There's also a negative side"
    Hunter S. Thompson

Greg

Hammock
    DIY WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HG20* Inc., MH Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by SoundMan View Post
    Yes, butt inside the larger baffles. The transition should be just below the butt.
    For me this places the top just over my shoulders.

I replaced the S-biners with some Dutch thingies ( I forget what they are called ).
    Thanks,

I'm thinking about doing the same. I keep hooking the s-biner to the wrong end. Guess it doesn't matter but the dutch stuff is nice.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast