Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Memorial Day in the Adirodack Mtns

Hey all-

Just moved down to Albany from Florida (literally still driving up!) for the summer to take a legal internship at GE. Florida doesn't have much in the way or high peaks and breathtaking scenery. I posted earlier and got some great replies and reached out to the local ADK chapter like everyone suggested. Figured I'd post here too.

I brought my backpacking gear down with me and was looking to do a backpacking trip in the Adirodack Mtns on the long weekend.

I don't know the area, regs, or trails or anything of the sort. I'm useless as far as planning goes. Any interest in getting together a small group and do a one way hike (take 2 cars), maybe 5-7 miles/day or something...I'm up for anything. Like I said I'm fresh off the boat here in NY. I start work Monday morning, but would like a nice relaxing weekend after the first week.

Hammock
    Darien UL 11'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Since you noted that you "would like a nice relaxing weekend," I wonder if you are aware of the black fly season in the Adirondacks. Being from Florida you may not be aware of black flies, and they can be a very rude surprise!
    ~
    "Home is where I hang my food bag."

Monkeywrench
    Allen Freeman
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com
    blog.allenf.com

Hammock
    DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by affreeman View Post
    Since you noted that you "would like a nice relaxing weekend," I wonder if you are aware of the black fly season in the Adirondacks. Being from Florida you may not be aware of black flies, and they can be a very rude surprise!
    VERY good point.

Also bear cans are required in the park, at least the high peaks area.

I would love to get up there later this summer but I will be recouping from surgery for a good 6 weeks. Good luck and enjoy an amazing wilderness in the adirondacks
    John aka Suede

Well hopefully I can find someone who would like to go. Unfortunately haven't found anyone yet. We have some biting flies in Florida. Nothing murdering a few won't fix. I'll make an example out of a couple haha.

Either way I can't go alone and haven't found anyone. My quick research shows the bear cans are recommended but not required.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mdandashly View Post
    Well hopefully I can find someone who would like to go. Unfortunately haven't found anyone yet. We have some biting flies in Florida. Nothing murdering a few won't fix. I'll make an example out of a couple haha.

Either way I can't go alone and haven't found anyone. My quick research shows the bear cans are recommended but not required.
    Bear canisters are REQUIRED in the eastern high peaks area.

Camping above 3500 feet is prohibited.

Fires are prohibited in the eastern high peaks area. That means no campfires, no cooking fires, of any sort.

I'll give you some links to the full rules in a bit, but let me mention that although the regs state that you can only camp in designated camp sites in the South Meadows Flowed Lands Corridor (which encompasses most of the most popular area of the eastern high peaks) those regs have not yet gone into effect because the master plan has not been completed.

Thus a hammock is still the key to getting away from the crowds because there are not a lot of places to pitch a tent outside of the designated campsites, but there are more trees than you can imagine to hang a hammock. Just stay below 3500 feet and 150 feet from any water or trail.

Bring a headnet - bring several - if the blackflies are biting you will need a headnet to keep from suffocating from them going up your nose and down your throat as you run back to the trailhead seeking relive from the torture.

Adirondack Park – Eastern High Peaks Zone

Adirondack High Peaks Wilderness Area Maps

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mdandashly View Post

Also - it is mud season in the high peaks and the DEC has requested that people stay off the trails above 3000 feet that are most susceptible to erosion:

New York State Department of Environmental Conservation

Commissioner Joe Martens

For Release: IMMEDIATE Contact: David Winchell Monday, May 6, 2013 (518) 897-1248

DEC ALERTS HIKERS TO MUDDY TRAIL CONDITIONS IN THE HIGH PEAKS

Hikers Should Temporarily Avoid High Elevation Trails in the Adirondacks

With the start of a new season of outdoor hiking and recreation, the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) urges hikers to be cautious and postpone hikes on trails above 3,000 feet until early June when muddy trail conditions are expected to improve.

Trails and vegetation in the higher elevations are most vulnerable at this time of year when melting snow saturates thin soils found on the steep slopes of the mountains and much of the vegetation growing in high elevations is surviving on the edge of existence. Hikers can cause severe erosion of trails and significant damage to vegetation.

DEC urges hikers to avoid hiking on high elevation trails during mud season.
    Specifically, all trails above 3,000 feet in the Dix, Giant and High Peaks Wildernesses but also any high elevation trails on steep slopes throughout the Adirondacks.

Hikers are also more likely to slip and injure themselves on steep, wet and muddy trails.

On the lower elevation trails, snows melt sooner, soils are thicker and dry more quickly, slopes are not as steep and vegetation is less sensitive to damage from hikers. Even lower elevation muddy trails are less susceptible to erosion.

Hikers are encouraged to wear waterproof footwear and gaiters and to hike through, not around wet and muddy portions of trail to avoid widening the trails or creating “herd paths” around those areas.

DEC asks hikers to avoid the following trails:

* High Peaks Wilderness Area - all trails above 3,000 feet; where wet, muddy, snow conditions still prevail, specifically: Algonquin, Colden, Feldspar, Gothics, Indian Pass, Lake Arnold Cross-Over, Marcy, Marcy Dam - Avalanche - Lake Colden which is extremely wet, Phelps Trail above John Brook Lodge, Range Trail, Skylight, Wright and all “trail-less” peaks.

* Dix Mountain Wilderness Area - all trails above Elk Lake and Round Pond

* Giant Mountain Wilderness Area - all trails above Giant's Washbowl, “the Cobbles,” and Owls Head.

DEC suggests the following alternative trails for hiking, subject to weather conditions:

* Debar Mt. Wild Forest:

* Azure Mountain

* Giant Mt. Wilderness:

* Giant’s Washbowl
    * Roaring Brook Falls

* High Peaks Wilderness:

* Ampersand Mountain
    * Cascade Mountain
    * Porter Mountain from Cascade Mountain (avoid all other approaches)
    * Big Slide
    * The Brothers

* Hurricane Mountain Wilderness

* The Crows

* McKenzie Mt. Wilderness:

* Baker Mountain
    * Haystack Mountain

* Pharaoh Lake Wilderness Area:

* Pharaoh Mountain

* Saranac Lakes Wild Forest:

* Panther Mountain
    * Scarface Mountain

Hikers who wait for drier conditions will protect natural resources and trails. Also, the trails will be in better condition later in the season, making for a safer and more enjoyable hike.

This is why I need to go with some locals! I don't know any of this stuff. Down in FL I'd have all the regs covered.

Hopefully I am able to plan something in the next couple days so I have time to order all relevant gear I am missing (mosquito net and a jacket I won't freeze my &%^*&* off in).

I am also fine staying at low elevation, don't necessarily need to hit peaks...just want to get out in this beautiful scenery and weather.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    5% of the Adirondacks is the High Peaks region. Which also sees probably 90% of the visitors. The other 5 million acres also provide significant enjoyment. Bear canisters and the campfire prohibition are only in the Eastern HPZ, which is about half of the High Peaks wilderness so only about 2.5% of the entire adirondacks. I would go with you, but as I mentioned I am busy that weekend. Are you free June 8-9?

Duct I should be free for a hike on that weekend. I was looking forward to this weekend because with having Monday off it allows for 2 nights out in the back country.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast