HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner

Tarp Ridgeline Question

I've got a HH Hex...stated length of the seam is 144". I've got Lash it...and planned on using a Dutch Hook on one end, a Dutch Tarp Flyz on the other, with the tarp attached via prussiks.

How long should I make the ridgeline in total? Suggestions? Measured the lines that came attached to the tarp...about 100"...comes out to about 28' total.

Seems like a bit much. I'd bought 50' with the intent to use it for the ridgeline and the tarp guy lines.

Suggestions/thoughts?

Hammock
    Homebrew Argon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Stuff

Tarp Ridgeline Question

I've gotten down to the last few feet on the stock ridgeline a few times tying it off with a figure 9. I'd be hesitant to go shorter.

Hammock
    The Susurro Canyon (DIY)
    Tarp
    1.1oz SilPolyD Hex
    Insulation
    FoyleUQ DIY TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Yeah, I was going thinking around 30' before I read your "28' total"

I bought a 100' of no-tangle guy lines, and with the ridgeline plus 8 attachment points at 6' each, I only have about 15-20' left over.

I just ordered 100' of shock cord, and some how I know it is just going to vanish as soon as its out of the package.
    Leonard Outdoors Youtube.com/drleonar

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    I used to have prussiks, but they would always loosen on the slippery lash-it, so I went to this system.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ght=Continuous

I love it and it sounds like you have the necessary Dutch bling for it. Instead of using a key ring (which I mangled on my first use) I attached the tarp fly to my tarp with a continuous loop of lash-it (I spliced it in place so it can't be lost). I use a 30' ridgeline with about 5" on my Dutch hook and tarp fly.

Back to your question. I don't think I would go any shorter than 28', but I think it really depends on how large a tree you are connecting to. Here is a quick calculation. 2 trees 18' apart, each with a diameter of 2', tarp with 12' ridgeline.

The ridgeline will go the length of the tarp (12) + to tree1 (3) + around the back of tree1 (3.14 : circumfrence is pi * diameter, but we only have to go around half of the circumfrence so it is just pi feet) + back to tarp from tree1 (3) + to tree2 (3) + around the back of tree2 (3.14) + back to tarp from tree2 (3) = 30.28 feet
    "Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaCampingDad

Hammock
    hh safari deluxe
    Tarp
    stock hex
    Suspension
    diy whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by doogie View Post
    I used to have prussiks, but they would always loosen on the slippery lash-it, so I went to this system.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ght=Continuous

I love it and it sounds like you have the necessary Dutch bling for it. Instead of using a key ring (which I mangled on my first use) I attached the tarp fly to my tarp with a continuous loop of lash-it (I spliced it in place so it can't be lost). I use a 30' ridgeline with about 5" on my Dutch hook and tarp fly.

Back to your question. I don't think I would go any shorter than 28', but I think it really depends on how large a tree you are connecting to. Here is a quick calculation. 2 trees 18' apart, each with a diameter of 2', tarp with 12' ridgeline.

The ridgeline will go the length of the tarp (12) + to tree1 (3) + around the back of tree1 (3.14 : circumfrence is pi * diameter, but we only have to go around half of the circumfrence so it is just pi feet) + back to tarp from tree1 (3) + to tree2 (3) + around the back of tree2 (3.14) + back to tarp from tree2 (3) = 30.28 feet
    w/ the video showing the listed specs, in action, you make the/a solution quite clear

thanks for refining the design of THE WHEEL so i don't have to do any re-inventing

sw
    "we are the people our parents warned us about" jb

steve

• + New Posts