Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hammock help for a small yard.

Wow, I didn't realize how popular hammocks are. This forum is great, lots of information.
    What I am looking for is info on building a hammock for a small back yard. I want to set a couple of steel poles in the backyard....12 ft. apart, only about 6 ft. high. I am in need of suggestions for suspension, hammock length, and is it possible to really do. I don't want to set the poles (as I have to go below the frost line) and not be able to hang my hammock. I am 5' 11" and about 220lbs.
    Thanks in advance.....these forums are great. Sincerely, John.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Leigh's Uq /UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Woopie/Dutch
    I want to welcome you. I do not know much, but I know those who do will chime in and help. I made a gathered end hammock wich is easy and cheap.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss No-Seeum
    Tarp
    Aqua Quest
    Insulation
    CCF, Alpine 45 bag
    Suspension
    Webbing

Welcome...

Quote Originally Posted by blue99 View Post
    Wow, I didn't realize how popular hammocks are. This forum is great, lots of information.
    What I am looking for is info on building a hammock for a small back yard. I want to set a couple of steel poles in the backyard....12 ft. apart, only about 6 ft. high. I am in need of suggestions for suspension, hammock length, and is it possible to really do. I don't want to set the poles (as I have to go below the frost line) and not be able to hang my hammock. I am 5' 11" and about 220lbs.
    Thanks in advance.....these forums are great. Sincerely, John.
    Welcome from Florida!!
    I too have a small backyard and I used 2 - 4x4's 10' long and sunk them in right at 30" with concrete. Been sleeping blissfully nice quite a few times and kicking back after work pretty much everyday since the concrete hardened up. No problems what so ever and I also am 5'11" and 245 lbs. I use the same setup as when I'm out in the woods.
    As a matter of fact, I set up last night!! We had some rain and a little thunder but I still have my stuff set up and ran out there for a couple of pics...(yes, I'm doing laundry right now as proof in the second pic).
    Attached Images Attached Images

no need to set the poles below the frost line...just place a "spreader" between the two uprights and the load wil shift to ALL downward.

no need to set the poles below the frost line- you're building a hammock frame,and not a permited structure!...just place a "spreader" between the two uprights and the load wil shift to ALL downward.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Lite Owl
    Tarp
    WL - 144" TadPole
    Insulation
    WL -3/4UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutchbiner
    Quote Originally Posted by Tophat View Post
    Welcome from Florida!!
    I too have a small backyard and I used 2 - 4x4's 10' long and sunk them in right at 30" with concrete. Been sleeping blissfully nice quite a few times and kicking back after work pretty much everyday since the concrete hardened up. No problems what so ever and I also am 5'11" and 245 lbs. I use the same setup as when I'm out in the woods.
    As a matter of fact, I set up last night!! We had some rain and a little thunder but I still have my stuff set up and ran out there for a couple of pics...(yes, I'm doing laundry right now as proof in the second pic).
    Have you noticed any bending of the 4x4s? I was interested in doing something very similar, but read on a thread someone had broke a 4x4 post...
    How long have you had this setup installed and I assume you used treated wood.

South Carolina Mike

Getting Begun is Only Half Done

http://www.youtube.com/user/SouthCarolinaMike

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss No-Seeum
    Tarp
    Aqua Quest
    Insulation
    CCF, Alpine 45 bag
    Suspension
    Webbing

No problems...

Quote Originally Posted by SouthCarolinaMike View Post
    Have you noticed any bending of the 4x4s? I was interested in doing something very similar, but read on a thread someone had broke a 4x4 post...
    How long have you had this setup installed and I assume you used treated wood.
    Good afternoon,
    I've had the poles sunk in for about 2 - 2 1/2 months now and have done about a dozen backyard overnights and countless after work 3 hour "kickback with a brew" and a few Sunday afternoon naps (like will happen today). Yes, using treated wood and I did not wait long enough for the cement to dry good on the pole closest to the house, it does lean in about an inch because of the gap (I assume) I created but I am thinking of putting a pole of some sorts (chain link fence pole maybe) between the two posts but I do not feel the need out of concern. I have hung out with my camping hammock, my Wally World Equip hammock and tried out the one I bought from forum member redbeard for my buddy. No problems, no cracks, no creaking .
    Last edited by Tophat; 05-19-2013 at 17:03. Reason: .

Hammock
    hh safari deluxe
    Tarp
    stock hex
    Suspension
    diy whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Tophat View Post
    Good afternoon,
    I've had the poles sunk in for about 2 - 2 1/2 months now and have done about a dozen backyard overnights and countless after work 3 hour "kickback with a brew" and a few Sunday afternoon naps (like will happen today). Yes, using treated wood and I did not wait long enough for the cement to dry good on the pole closest to the house, it does lean in about an inch because of the gap (I assume) I created but I am thinking of putting a pole of some sorts (chain link fence pole maybe) between the two posts but I do not feel the need out of concern. I have hung out with my camping hammock, my Wally World Equip hammock and tried out the one I bought from forum member redbeard for my buddy. No problems, no cracks, no creaking .
    a piece of chain-link top rail could, also, serve as a nice RIDGE-LINE for your fly/sun shade, if it's placement is considered b4 installation

just a ponderment

sw
    "we are the people our parents warned us about" jb

steve

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    4x6 would be better, with the 6s in line with the load and poles set at 60* opposite angles. There is no need for concrete if you spend good time tamping the backfill.

Be sure to avoid underground utilities! I once had the whole neighborhood mad at me for cutting the TV cable!!!

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss No-Seeum
    Tarp
    Aqua Quest
    Insulation
    CCF, Alpine 45 bag
    Suspension
    Webbing

Follow up....

Quote Originally Posted by swoody126 View Post
    a piece of chain-link top rail could, also, serve as a nice RIDGE-LINE for your fly/sun shade, if it's placement is considered b4 installation

just a ponderment

sw
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSH View Post
    4x6 would be better, with the 6s in line with the load and poles set at 60* opposite angles. There is no need for concrete if you spend good time tamping the backfill.

Be sure to avoid underground utilities! I once had the whole neighborhood mad at me for cutting the TV cable!!!

To bring up an old subject...I salvaged some 1" tubing from work, finally got enough pieces welded together (my welding looks like poo by the way, amazing what paint will do to hide it) and used them as a "top" support. Attached is a pic of the final product and a pic of the sun setting from a couple of hours later in the hammock.

A little more background and a couple more pics...I used 2 50lb bags of the quick drying concrete for each 10' 4x4 post that is sunk in right at 30". For the metal tubing, I used a 1 1/8" spade bit to drill in 1" on each post to hold the tubing in (the posts are 15' apart, welded the tubing to make a 15' 2" section and squirmed the tubing into the holes)

If I were to do it again, I would probably use 2 80lb bags of the regular drying stuff per post and I believe that would eliminate the top post scenario completely but keep in mind, if I hadn't got the metal tubing, I would still feel fine without it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tophat; 05-27-2013 at 09:23. Reason: Spelling, of all things....

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast