Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    we'll it's harder to get full side coverage from wind and or windblown fog/drizzle with an 8' tarp, and some may only be concerned about these conditions when it's really cold (winter), but if you left the guylines on the bb unstaked and pitched it super steep and narrow you might get full side protection, but the tarp might touvh the hammock as well and if the underside of the tarp is wet from condensation it won't be ideal . if it's just regular rain you're protecting against then it's plenty. i'd say 8' wide tarp is a moderate sized 3 season tarp
    I agree Brandon, for the BB or a conventional gathered hammock, but for a 36 inch wide bridge hammock you need more, don't you think. Cheers, Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Images
    well i haven't messed around with bridges very much, but it seems like others have voiced similar feelings

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Honestly, since I got my BB I am not thinking I am going to be sleeping in bridges very much any more it at all. I am thinking of either altering the tarp to be 13 x 10 instead of 13 x 14, or trade it for something.
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    I use a DIY speer style 10.5' long hammock with an 8' structural ridgeline. I really love my 10X12 Cathedral Cat tarp that my wife makes, but for Summer it is kinda big. It only weighs a couple of ounces more than the 8X10 Sanctuary Cat tarp that she makes, so I really do not think that it is too big. The 8X10 would be more than adequate in the Summer, but if I only could only have one tarp, I would always go with the 10X12.

Now that said, the 16X16 Kelty Noah, is too big to carry backpacking.

Dwight
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mule View Post
    Honestly, since I got my BB I am not thinking I am going to be sleeping in bridges very much any more it at all. I am thinking of either altering the tarp to be 13 x 10 instead of 13 x 14, or trade it for something.
    cool, a bridge to bb convert. glad you like it

Hammock
    1.1 DL Traveler
    Tarp
    Etowah 8x10
    Insulation
    AHE Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    For most of my uses I think that the 8 X 10 is the way to go... right now since I am in college, I don't really have time to do a lot of backpacking... really sad... so most of my trips are weekenders with friends that don't do it in the rain
    Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith (Hebrews 12:2)

New Member calculating infinity's Avatar
    Hammock
    diy speer type
    Tarp
    jrb 8x8
    Insulation
    ccf
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    i myself use an 8x8 and i find that i get adequate coverage even in rain and wind.

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.0
    Tarp
    Nothing atm....
    Insulation
    Costco down throws
    Suspension
    WBBB Line/Strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by calculating infinity View Post
    i myself use an 8x8 and i find that i get adequate coverage even in rain and wind.
    Jeez...How short is your hammock with the proper sag? I'm using an 8x4 hammock that probably comes out to about a little over 7 feet with sag and my ring buckles stick out if I try to pitch my 8x10 with the 8' as the ridgeline.

Images
    probably an 8x8 turned on point, so the rl would be diagonally across around 11+ feet and one stake per side

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    like everything else to do with our hammocks, 'how big' is a personal choice. Where do you live? (warm/cold), when do you camp? (year around/ 3 season), how many tarps do you want to own? (different ones for summer/winter), or are you a gram weenie?
    IMO, sil (and other ultalightweights) that are so light that there really isn't much punishment (weight wise) between a winter tarp tent 11x10 (19-25 oz) and a simple cat cut 10x8 (13-17 oz). I've recently started liking the idea of a larger summer tarp (11x10) tied out as an awning for socializing, cooking etc. I will still use my smaller 'diamond' 11x8 if it is forcast to be dry or I'm by myself.
    Carry whatever you want...just USE IT!
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast