Eno dn/BAIS
    Tarp
    real tree hunters
    Insulation
    peapod
    Suspension
    whoopie

I think I did it!

Suspension and ridgeline with single point adjustability. I made long loop figure eight knots and passed them though the gathered ends, the ropes run to the hang points and back to the figure eights. The rope then meets in the middle of the hammock creating a ridgeline. Tying the rope together with a square knot make both ends adjustable from the middle. I hope this makes sense. Please comment on any improvements.
    Carpe noctem!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I see where you're going with this but I don't think you'll be very happy with the results. Even though you have a cord going from each end of the hammock to the middle it's not really a ridgeline. You're going to find that the shape of the hammock will still be very dependent on the overall tension of the suspension, just like if there was no ridgeline at all. Also, the square knot is probably a poor choice for the middle. It will be a royal pain to adjust and once you apply your body weight I think it will be very, very hard to untie.

Hammock
    Eno dn/BAIS
    Tarp
    real tree hunters
    Insulation
    peapod
    Suspension
    whoopie

I think I did it!

I added a clover to where the gather and ridgeline giving me a true ridgeline and taking any real pressure off the square knot. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Carpe noctem!!

Hammock
    Eno dn/BAIS
    Tarp
    real tree hunters
    Insulation
    peapod
    Suspension
    whoopie

I think I did it!

I slept in this setup Saturday night and it works perfectly!! Stand in the middle a adjust everything from one point.
    Last edited by Mikeinajeep; 05-27-2013 at 03:36.
    Carpe noctem!!

Hammock
    Dream hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Nub'a
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    My only advice is to replace the square knot with somthing else.

I usually use carrick bends for similarly sized ropes
    http://www.animatedknots.com/carrick/index.php

Or even two bowlines tied in to each other.

The square knot is an ok knot if it is under constant load but if it is in a dynamic system ( moving around in your hammock) then it can very easily untie itself.

Re: I think I did it!

You can tie a taugh line hitch in place of the square not to give you something more adjustable... just tie the loose end of one cord to the other cord as if it was wrapping around somethint and back on its self. Tie both ends and it comes out pretty clean.

I will say, all said and done... Whoopies or synch buckles are probably a better solution.

I tried doing a bunch of knots and cord setups and what not at first too...
    Even thought structural Ridgeline was pointless, ect... had super easy setup that was very customizable in the ropes... Ended up going whoopies for weight, with a seperate adjustable ridgeline.
    So much easier. Tighten one end, then the other... done. Much lighter and simple. Kicking myself for trying to re-invent the wheel when thousands of people had already blazed a trail. Sometimes following the masses is wrong but when everyone is doing it one way it may just be that after the collective failures and successes have been put together they find something 5hat just works. Obviously fiddling has its place though if no for reason other then entertainment and creativity... Just trying to point out that sometimes we get so hung up in trying to find our own perfect solutions that you miss something else that has been developed into something pretty good...

Scryan I'm with you on most of it but sometimes reinvention leads to a whole new breakthrough. Plus what if reinventing the wheel means tank style tracks, maglev, or even straight up antigrav? Simple? Doubt it. Elegant? Probably not. An awesome new way to do the same old thing? You can bet your sweet behind. Hmm... anti grav hammocking "No tie off points? No problem" (Sorry I'm tired)

Hammock
    DIY hammy
    Tarp
    prezidential suite
    Insulation
    diy underquilt
    Suspension
    straps n buckles

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by DylanN View Post
    Scryan I'm with you on most of it but sometimes reinvention leads to a whole new breakthrough. Plus what if reinventing the wheel means tank style tracks, maglev, or even straight up antigrav? Simple? Doubt it. Elegant? Probably not. An awesome new way to do the same old thing? You can bet your sweet behind. Hmm... anti grav hammocking "No tie off points? No problem" (Sorry I'm tired)

what he said

i like the knot pics
    have safe
    be fun

Hammock
    Eno dn/BAIS
    Tarp
    real tree hunters
    Insulation
    peapod
    Suspension
    whoopie

I think I did it!

I used my new found system all summer, maybe 20 set ups and take downs and I have to say it's the best system I have tried. Perfectly level hammock every time, first time. Ridgeline for bug net and tarp, suspension all in one knot. No walking end to end trying to get everything just right is the best part.
    Carpe noctem!!

• + New Posts