Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Came with HH
    Insulation
    JRB TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Whoopieslings

Question Hiking Blue Ridge Mtns (TN, NC, VA)

Hi All,

I was wondering if some of the veterans on here might help with planning a 100 mile hike through the Blue Ridge Mountains.

http://goo.gl/maps/EoV3h

A friend is giving me a car ride out of Rogersville, TN (NW corner of map). I am hiking solo. Start date is around 1-5 of June. Primary consideration here is to enjoy the solitude and wilderness in the area of Cherokee National Forest, Roan Mountain State Park and Linville (not looking to cover all three).

I will be carrying a 25-30 lb backpack, and I would say my health is average for somebody in his mid thirties (5' 10", 170 lb). This is my first time hiking long distance. Not sure if camping must be at campsites, but I would prefer being away from crowds as much as possible on the trails and at night in my hammock. I will be practicing Leave No Trace as much as possible.

General tips are also welcome.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    OES 4 Season Cuben
    Insulation
    NeoAir, UQ, Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I don't have any experience with that area so I'm afraid I cannot assist in the planning, but I'll try to offer some general advice that I've picked up over the last few years doing some relatively long distance hikes.

Take better care of yourself than you think you need to. I'm not a person who has a big problem with blisters, but I do get hot spots and after hiking for several days my feet will feel fairly abused. When you feel a hot spot, take care of it right away. If you're looking for solitude then no one will bear witness to you giving yourself a foot massage at camp every night. You can hike all day with soaking wet feet inside soaking wet socks shoved in soaking wet shoes, and be just fine so long as you dry those feet out every night. Gold Bond is awesome for this. Get dry, get clean, be happy.

Feed the food baby. Eating and drinking is not only necessary, it will lift your spirits.

I don't know what kind of mileage your used to doing every day, but 100 miles is quite a ways. You might want to include a day at a town somewhere near the middle for resupply.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Came with HH
    Insulation
    JRB TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Whoopieslings
    Thanks for the tips. I should be fairly well stocked for the food. Plus, if I lost a couple of pounds, it wouldn't hurt my waistline.

With just snacks and some water, I can hike pretty much from dawn till dusk. This is sort of a preparatory trip for doing a longer thru hike. Carrying a 25-30 lb load and not coming home to a hot shower and a wholesome meal is a different cup of tea.

I am well prepared with foot balms and butters, and I've never really had blisters or hot spots before in my life.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    The best way to connect 100 continuous miles is on the AT in that area and easy resupply. http://www.atdist.com/atdist and maps can be obtained at the ATC http://www.appalachiantrail.org/
    From Damascus to Mt Rogers and Grayson Highlands you could connect 100 miles with loop hikes.
    If you want to break your hike up and get over to the Linville area (less crowded and resupply harder) than check out the Linville Gorge and the Wilsons Creek areas on the Mountains to Sea Trail sections 11 12 and 13 http://www.ncmst.org/the-trail/plan-...rail-sections/ TABBA's trail guide is the best http://www.thru-hiker.us/Home and be sure to get the Forest Service Maps of Linville Gorge and Wilsons Creek for more trails. Grandfather Mtn State Park and Mount Mitchell have Great Hiking also.
    The Cherokee National Forest has a lot of good trails also but I don't know enough to recommend any hikes there.
    Good luck and enjoy your hike.

• + New Posts