Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I have been down to freezing with blue ccf, and was not totally WARM on the bottom, but was not what I would call cold, either.

Underquilts (once you get the knack of hanging properly without gaps) are absolutely wonderful. I think the JRB Hudson River would take me to just about 39F comfortably; I am a cold sleeper. I would/will be taking my wide GG evazote as a backup when I suspect temps might dip below 40F to add into the pad pocket along with the underquilt. Since I am generally a 3 season camper this will probably work fine for me.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Superfly.
    Insulation
    Yeti / Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps and rings
    Images
    [QUOTE=FishinFinn;103384]I have a slightly different suggestion.

Since winter is coming to an end, go to your local TJ Maxx or Kohl's Department store, or whatever passes for a department store that has a lot of clearance bedding in Western Mass. Buy a light twin-size down comforter (I bought one for $25 last spring.) Sew a dwr or sil cover over it, tabs on the corner, and a draw channel on each end. This will cost you under $50 total and a little time, and as long as you aren't planning on doing thru hikes, it will be very serviceable and very warm. It is nowhere near as nice or as light as a Speer or JRB UQ, but it will work great for campground, car, or backyard sleeping. This will hold you over until the fall, and you can save your money until then to buy a real UQ.QUOTE]

I just picked up an old sleeping bag at a thrift store for $5 And converted it into an UQ. It was deadly ugly, but it worked. It would tie you over.

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    I have a slightly different suggestion.
    I just picked up an old sleeping bag at a thrift store for $5 And converted it into an UQ. It was deadly ugly, but it worked. It would tie you over.

Don't know this to be true but isn't that how top/under quilts were first thought of someone laying in a hammock thinking im kinda cool laying here i wonder if hanging the bag outside the hammock would cut down on the wind.

I am going to keep with the original thread and go back to what I first said at the beginning of this thread and I just knew I would wake up this morning to find out you ordered the BB but as of 7:28 you have not spoke of it yet good luck on your decision.
    I sure have been in your shoes lately. Here is how I would handle it and I know going into it will be wrong but when I want something I am pretty much going to get it even if it means putting something else off that I want.

So I would by the BB and use a sleeping bag till I could get the other that way I have the hammock of choice and can start sleeping in it now. Warmer months are coming so do you really need the quilt now? that would allow you the rest of the spring summer and the start of fall to save the money for the quilt.

Just my 2 cents worth

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234