Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Which suspension should I start with (n00b)

I have my first ever camping hammock (HH Explorer Deluxe) coming in the mail; purchased from a fellow member. I've also been cruising this site for some time before finally deciding this was the route I want to go. So needless to say I’m aware that there’s multiple suspension options. What I want is to decide on a suspension setup now so I can practice/research a bit more and perhaps purchase extra items before the hammock gets here.

My question is, what would be a good/simple (beginner friendly) suspension setup. I'm leaning toward the Garda hitch for simplicity and versatility without making too many mods to the hammock right away.
    I live in the PNW so trees are abundant and BIG.

Whoopie slings may be an option later on once I’ve had a season or two in the hammock but for now I’d like something other than the traditional HH knot to rely on.

Thoughts? Suggestions??

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I like cinch buckles. I just ordered these from Dutchware to replace my warbonnet cinch buckles. The ones in the link are specific for Hennessy Hammocks.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    http://dutchwaregear.com/complete-su...k-suspensions/

Anything Dutch...take your pick of the three. I personally like the woopie sling suspension but all three work great and are easy to use.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Images
    I'm a HH user so I'll recommend from my experience. Thus far we have four HHs and I use the straps and lashing technique they suggest on most of them. I converted my personal HH to a biner and rapel rings. I like this because it gives me a simple adjustment and quick setup and take down.

I recommend you get comfy with your HH first. Use the lashing method for a couple hangs or practice in the backyard if possible. It will only add you your knowledge of knots and lashings and can't really harm you if you learn a new skill. Once you're comfy there and decide you hate that method, then look to the other options out there (and they are legion). Point is, go slow and get to know and love your gear first then mod as you please.

Sincerely, my option is not weight wise but I'm only a gram weenie in training. I may swap to woopies or cinch buckles down the road but I enjoy the method I have and like how it integrates into MY style and speed of MY hike/camping experience. You'll hear it a lot so let me start the line here...HYOH (Hang Your Own Hang) - no right or wrong but lots of options (sometimes too many for us noobs - but choices are a good thing).

Welcome to the addiction of all things hiking/hammock/camping related. To many of us it is bliss. Hope this helps.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    A beginner can do the Whoopie.

Not hard...and it works.

Easy adjustment is crucial for newer hangers still dialing in a kit.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DIY DL/HH Hyperlite/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    Here's another vote for trying the system as-is before changing to something else.

The figure 8 lash is simple, light and effective - but not easily adjustable. You can use a taut line hitch for easy adjustability (look it up if you're not familiar with it) but can be a bit more difficult to untie once weighted. A double wrap works for me, but you can also do a triple wrap for security if so inclined. Or just use the taut line hitch to get everything hung comfortably then untie and use the figure 8 lash for the ultimate security.

If you decide you would still rather have another type of suspension after using it for a bit at least you'd be making an informed decision from personal experience. Lots of great suspension options available - whoopies, strap and buckle, Garda hitch (biners and rappel rings) but of course adds expense, and possibly weight depending on the system. I have tried them all, each has pros and cons. As a new hanger its difficult to know which will serve your needs the best without ever having been able to try them. But at the minimum, you can try it as it was designed and then go from there.

Lastly, if changing to another system you may lose the ability to keep the tarp attached to the suspension lines (as well as the HHSS if you go that route). For some this doesn't matter as they will hang the tarp seperate from the hammock. Personally I like having the option available when using the stock tarp.

If you haven't already, check out the thread at the top of the page with Hennessy videos, good information and tips there (especially the videos by Trekkingnut).
    Last edited by HappyHiker; 05-22-2013 at 04:11.
    Experience is the worst teacher - it presents the exam first and the lesson later. - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by HappyHiker View Post
    Here's another vote for trying the system as-is before changing to something else.

The figure 8 lash is simple, light and effective - but not easily adjustable. You can use a taut line hitch for easy adjustability (look it up if you're not familiar with it) but can be a bit more difficult to untie once weighted. A double wrap works for me, but you can also do a triple wrap for security if so inclined. Or just use the taut line hitch to get everything hung comfortably then untie and use the figure 8 lash for the ultimate security.

If you decide you would still rather have another type of suspension after using it for a bit at least you'd be making an informed decision from personal experience. Lots of great suspension options available - whoopies, strap and buckle, Garda hitch (biners and rappel rings) but of course adds expense, and possibly weight depending on the system. I have tried them all, each has pros and cons. As a new hanger its difficult to know which will serve your needs the best without ever having been able to try them. But at the minimum, you can try it as it was designed and then go from there.

Lastly, if changing to another system you may lose the ability to keep the tarp attached to the suspension lines (as well as the HHSS if you go that route). For some this doesn't matter as they will hang the tarp seperate from the hammock. Personally I like having the option available when using the stock tarp.

If you haven't already, check out the thread at the top of the page with Hennessy videos, good information and tips there (especially the videos by Trekkingnut).
    thanks for the reply.
    I've watched enough videos to cause myself option paralysis, including the trekkingnut vids which is where I got the garda hitch idea from.

For my needs, ease of setup is a priority over weight. Most of what I'll be doing will be on a dual sport moto so I'll want something easy to setup at night and or in horrible conditions, varying terrain, and with minimal pieces to loose or keep track of.

I'll do some local backyard hangs but ultimately I'll need to move into a setup that can be setup and adjusted very quickly.

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    I would say use it as it comes for a while if you arent sure. The whoopies are a definite plus for easy set up. If you want minimum pieces to lose, the stock setup cant be beat. other than the two straps, everything is attached. If you change to whoopies, you need a carabiner, a toggle, a clip of some sort, or use something you already have or is available - like a trekking pole for a toggle, or a big stick lying about.
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Theosus View Post
    I would say use it as it comes for a while if you arent sure. The whoopies are a definite plus for easy set up. If you want minimum pieces to lose, the stock setup cant be beat. other than the two straps, everything is attached. If you change to whoopies, you need a carabiner, a toggle, a clip of some sort, or use something you already have or is available - like a trekking pole for a toggle, or a big stick lying about.
    Actually with the Dutch all in one woopie system their is no MSH or toggle or clip of any sort it is a completely self contained suspension system which is as easy as wrapping the tree strap around tree threading woopie through loop on tree strap and hooking the woopie hook to the continious loop which is larks headed around the end of the hammock. Just as easy as a full strap suspension just the attachment point is different.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    DIY-Darian UL-like
    Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images

Garda Hitch

Although I certainly like Whoopies, before that I used the Garda hitch with rings on my HH and I really like it. Works well, very simple, fairly easily adjustable.

I am no stranger to knots, but the HH lashing system is awkward to adjust and time consuming. It is just a fact. I am not against using it and probably you should try it out for yourself, but at the end of the day (literally) there is too much fiddling involved.

So I would favor your original idea of using Garda hitch with rings (or biners). It is certainly worth a try. Ultimately you may want to change out your suspension, which is pretty easy, for something more exotic like Whoopies or Cinch Buckles, etc.

Enjoy,
    -Mark
    -SlowBro
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."-Theodore Roosevelt

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast