Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Whatever choice you make, do give it a couple shots at home before you go out to the field and find your missing something. What comes with it works, but if money is not an issue and you have time, order the Dutch system and junk that funky HH rope.

OH, and as far as time to get it in? I think Dutch already knows when you're going to put an order in, it's his secret power. So as your pressing the enter key on your order HE'S usually just down the block ready to put it in your mailbox.

I seriously have had things in my mailbox two days after ordering. I live in KC I don't know where he lives but I'm pretty sure it's the North Pole as the delivery system is pretty magical.

All our other suppliers are pretty good too.

Again, the HH system is simplistic and works and when you know what you're doing, works great. But you don't want to have to fiddle with it.

Hammock
    DIY DL/HH Hyperlite/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 4th4 View Post
    thanks for the reply.

For my needs, ease of setup is a priority over weight. Most of what I'll be doing will be on a dual sport moto so I'll want something easy to setup at night and or in horrible conditions, varying terrain, and with minimal pieces to loose or keep track of.
    In that case I'd go with your original assesment - Garda Hitch, at least to start with. Easy and doesn't require hammock modification. Another thought - instead of a 'biner and rap rings you could go with 2 standard oval 'biners (one less piece to lose, and easily replaceable while traveling if needed). On the other hand with rappel rings it'd be real easy to attach them to the hammock and convert to straps (also easily replaceable on the road) if the rope ever wears out.

I haven't had issues with the rope being degraded via the Garda Hitch (haven't used it much really), but others have noted extra wear - just something to keep an eye on if you do go that route.

Heres some more reading if you haven't already seen it: http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingSuspension.html It has several ways to utilize rap rings and rope/webbing (straps) to give you some more ideas to think about.
    Last edited by HappyHiker; 05-23-2013 at 04:34. Reason: added link
    Experience is the worst teacher - it presents the exam first and the lesson later. - Unknown

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    FWIW - the main problem with the Dutch system is that you need to completely remove the stock suspension. A better approach is to get 2 or 4 descender rings and clove hitch them to the stock ropes just outside the last prussic. That way the ridge line and smaller tarp work as designed with no fuss. 2 rings on each end let you do a garda hitch. 1 on each end lets you tie in anything else like straps, whoopees, or any combination you can think of. If you do not like something just change from the ring out. Get tired of it remove the rings and you have a stock unit for sale.

Fall in love with anything and after a few trips you can cut the rope shorter or remove it if you want to mess with the internals.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Here is another vote for first learning to use it the way it comes from the box

I have been using mine since I purchased it in Dec 2012 without any additional modifications to the suspension. The way they "tie" it off to the tree can be cumbersome when first learning but after doing it a few times, it is pretty easy and rock solid.

I looked really hard at replacing the stock suspension with whoopies but have decided to go a different route. Let me also add that if weight were an issue, I would be using whoopies but since it is not...I will be using the descender ring method that Trekkingnut shows in his video.

The reason I am changing out is for set up speed and adjustability. Otherwise I would be staying with the stock methods.

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Backpacker Asym
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    MSH,Whoopie slings
    I agree with those suggesting just hanging stock for a few nights. You will learn why you might want a different suspension, especially if you're out in the rain and/or wind.
    Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.
    - John Muir

Hammock
    H Expedition, WBBB
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    DIY Apex UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and strap
    Images
    I had a HH (now have a WBBB), when I got the Hennessy the first thing I did was ditch the "stock" suspension. However, I was jaded and had whoopies on a previous GT Hammock; on my WBBB I have the cinch buckles which I like better than the whoopies...no reason other than personal preference.

Which personal preference is about 80% of what all options (hammocks, tarps, suspension, UQs, TQs, on and on and on) come down to really; well that and how much disposal income you have to sink into this hobby.

Go with what it comes with for a bit, try and make it to a local hang where you can see, try, fiddle with a variety of other suspension systems to see what you like. So long as your hammock doesn't hit the ground then you are doing it right regardless of what we all say you should do for a suspension.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I agree that you should learn and use the stock knot at first. It's fail safe After a couple years, I went to the method shown in the attachment to make adjusting for stretch easier - this two ring method is how motorcycle helmet straps work and is found on the 'tothewoods.net link' found in post 12 above.
    P.S. I don't even use the biner - I just use the 2 rings.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iJTjful66M
    KISS - Keep it Simple. Don't run out and buy stuff until you see what you really need.
    Last edited by oldpappy; 05-28-2013 at 19:22. Reason: added link to youtube
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    HH Backpacker UL
    Tarp
    Oware flattarp
    Insulation
    Custom HG 40* UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    As another hanger up in the PNW I'd suggest trying the stock for a time or two. If after a few times you have to tie and untie the suspension to tweak it, you might see the benefits of something else.

I went with whoopee slings I made and haven't looked back.

Also (after spending about 40 nights in the last year hanging around here) I'll make a couple of other suggestions: get a bigger tarp (it rains enough that you'll likely really enjoy the extra protection) and get longer straps. I rock 7 or 8 feet and have some extra strap I usually bring along and often am still short on some of the monster trees I'm up against.
    Scoutmaster, Troop 745
    Duvall, WA

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12