Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

What do I do with all my stuff...

Been hanging a couple years now and love it. The only complaint I have, or challenge I haven't conquered is what to do with all my 'stuff'. As a ground dweller, I would put my big pack in the vestibule, ,y clothes in a neat pile at my feet and my 'stuff' in a pile beside my clothes with no worries of it getting wet.

Here's what I have tried:

1. using dry bags etc and hanging them from the suspension of the hammock or tarp ridge line messes with the hang. Slacks the tarp, and lowers the ridge line.

2. Placing everything in dry bags and leaving them on the ground. Works OK, but can be a PITA to get to something in the dry bag and the bag itself can get wet from 'travelling water' on the ground

3. putting it in the hammock - bad idea, I think it was the worst sleep ever! Lol.

The type of stuff is your typical gear that you would have - change of clothes, personal items i.e. tooth brush etc, small gear items and electronics (cell phone, gps etc) and just odds and ends.

Any suggestions or ideas on how you manage your gear when hanging would be great.

Cheers,
    Ramius

Hammock
    Eno dn/BAIS
    Tarp
    real tree hunters
    Insulation
    peapod
    Suspension
    whoopie

What do I do with all my stuff...

Cell phone and other small things in a ridge line organizer. Everything else in a dry bag hanging off your suspension. Cooking and food stuffs way over there in a tree or bear safe.
    Carpe noctem!!

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss No-Seeum
    Tarp
    Aqua Quest
    Insulation
    CCF, Alpine 45 bag
    Suspension
    Webbing

Maybe this will help?

Quote Originally Posted by ramius View Post
    Been hanging a couple years now and love it. The only complaint I have, or challenge I haven't conquered is what to do with all my 'stuff'. As a ground dweller, I would put my big pack in the vestibule, ,y clothes in a neat pile at my feet and my 'stuff' in a pile beside my clothes with no worries of it getting wet.

Here's what I have tried:

1. using dry bags etc and hanging them from the suspension of the hammock or tarp ridge line messes with the hang. Slacks the tarp, and lowers the ridge line.

2. Placing everything in dry bags and leaving them on the ground. Works OK, but can be a PITA to get to something in the dry bag and the bag itself can get wet from 'travelling water' on the ground

3. putting it in the hammock - bad idea, I think it was the worst sleep ever! Lol.

The type of stuff is your typical gear that you would have - change of clothes, personal items i.e. tooth brush etc, small gear items and electronics (cell phone, gps etc) and just odds and ends.

Any suggestions or ideas on how you manage your gear when hanging would be great.

Cheers,
    Ramius

I use a China-Mart tarp section, about 3' square, and keep it under the hammock towards the foot end. Roll up the sides and "dam" it with dirt, sand, etc. if it is going to rain. This keeps the backpack, clothes that is in zip-loc bags, etc. nice and dry. YMMV!!

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux Asym
    Insulation
    Windshiedeflectors
    I hang my pack from the tree and carry rain cover for just in case.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB XLC dbl. 1.7, ENO Dblnst
    Tarp
    Superfly, MCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Zep/Incu/NewR/SSnv
    Suspension
    tree strap/whoopie
    I carry a big piece of Tyvek that I use under the hammock for standing on while taking off my shoes. If there is a chance of rain, I put my pack on it, otherwise, my pack is hanging on a tree. A ridgeline organizer holds my small stuff: headlamp, glasses, etc.

I've never had a problem with groundwater wetting the stuff on the Tyvek. One trip last fall included rain every day for five days... no problems.

Take it easy,
    desmobob

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tophat View Post
    I use a China-Mart tarp section, about 3' square, and keep it under the hammock towards the foot end. Roll up the sides and "dam" it with dirt, sand, etc. if it is going to rain. This keeps the backpack, clothes that is in zip-loc bags, etc. nice and dry. YMMV!!
    Same concept but I use tyvek. A little tape and it was easy to fold the edges over to create a bath tube floor of sorts. I leave my pack on it too. Thus far its been waterproof and convenient.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    DD 3x3m
    Insulation
    DIY UQ soon!
    The trip I am taking at the end of this week (could be 14 nights!! Can't wait!!) I hope to work out what works for me in regard to this issue.

I am thinking of simply hanging a separate line under my tarp but above my hammock for lightweight things to hang on. Also I'm going to experiment with lying my poncho on the ground and leaving my pack on that under the hammock/tarp and see how well it stands up to the inevitable Welsh rain!

Agreed, having my pack in the hammock with me was the worst night's sleep I ever had while hanging!

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Toxaway 2QZQ doors
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    DH cinch buckles
    I've recently started using a Molly Mac Gearbox. Waterproof and handy. Really like it so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I strap my pack to a tree and cover it if it looks like rain or a possibility of heavy dew
    usually the tree I am hanging from also
    "HANGING OUT" has taken on a whole NEW MEANING

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images

Re: What do I do with all my stuff...

Dry weather it hangs off the tree... Piece of paracord and the carabiner on the grab handle make this possible... Wet weather it gets put inside a large bag that is usually my welcome mat and stood up under my tarp somewhere...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast