Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    western Ma.
    Posts
    29

    Insight into jacks are better winter nest ?

    Didn't want to go off topic with the other thread ,comparing JAB Mt. wash to the speer snugfit .Rather I was wondering which uq. people would recomend to be warmer, better fit ,on my Hennesy BLUA ;the winter nest ,or the Mt. Washington.both seem similar in weight ? Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,557
    Quote Originally Posted by howiez3 View Post
    Didn't want to go off topic with the other thread ,comparing JAB Mt. wash to the speer snugfit .Rather I was wondering which uq. people would recomend to be warmer, better fit ,on my Hennesy BLUA ;the winter nest ,or the Mt. Washington.both seem similar in weight ? Thanks
    I've wondered the same thing myself. I have an older Nest that I cherish, like any other flat quilt you have to get it adjusted right, the Winter version will be no different. The Mt Washington is supposed to be easier to hang because it is differentially cut so you can't flatten the insulation out by setting it too tight. Unfortunantly I don't have any experience with a Mt. Washington. There are a couple of reviews linked at the Jacks' site on the Mt Washington, some of the testers used the Mt Washington on a Hennessy.

  3. #3
    New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    western Ma.
    Posts
    29
    I'm thinking the dif. cut is the deal breaker .but not sure of the small details of fit between the 2 . Oh well my tax returns not in ...yet !

  4. #4
    Senior Member BillyBob58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Tupelo, MS
    Posts
    8,908
    Images
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    I've wondered the same thing myself. I have an older Nest that I cherish, like any other flat quilt you have to get it adjusted right, the Winter version will be no different. The Mt Washington is supposed to be easier to hang because it is differentially cut so you can't flatten the insulation out by setting it too tight. Unfortunantly I don't have any experience with a Mt. Washington. There are a couple of reviews linked at the Jacks' site on the Mt Washington, some of the testers used the Mt Washington on a Hennessy.
    There is also a review here at this site:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/f...splay.php?f=17

    It (MWUQ) works great- virtually perfect on my JRB BMBH. I have tried it on my WBBB, and that seemed to work pretty good also, though I have little experience with UQs. No real worries about it being too tight causing loft compression.
    For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us....that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.
    Romans 8:18,21-22

  5. #5
    Peter_pan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    virginia
    Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Posts
    2,786
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by howiez3 View Post
    Didn't want to go off topic with the other thread ,comparing JAB Mt. wash to the speer snugfit .Rather I was wondering which uq. people would recomend to be warmer, better fit ,on my Hennesy BLUA ;the winter nest ,or the Mt. Washington.both seem similar in weight ? Thanks
    Howiez3, et al,

    In considering these two quilts ..... Understand that they are both winter quilts capable of 10 degree or below for most folk under normal conditions.

    They are pretty much equal in weight (Mt Washington is slightly heavier, 1-2 oz) and bulk..... The major trade off is the Winter Nest will be most convienent to use on your HH.... The Mt Washington also fits it well and is still easy to use and has another 10 or more degrees of temperature potection.

    Currently they are both on deep sales at the same price.... So, your decision is cost neutral.

    Hope this helps.

    Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

    www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

  6. #6
    New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    western Ma.
    Posts
    29
    ok, so what would you sugest if I have the zipper mod done ,making it a top loader ? I shold also metion I'm looking for 3 season (New England camping) and consider myself a cold sleeper .

  7. #7
    HappyCamper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    WV
    Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Posts
    3,649
    Images
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by howiez3 View Post
    ok, so what would you sugest if I have the zipper mod done ,making it a top loader ? I shold also metion I'm looking for 3 season (New England camping) and consider myself a cold sleeper .
    Then it's a no-brainer IMO. Go with Mt. Washington, differential cut!
    I intend to live forever, or die trying. -- Groucho Marx (1890 - 1977)
    Talk does not cook rice. -- Chinese Proverb

  8. #8
    Senior Member Mustardman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Posts
    2,302
    Images
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    Then it's a no-brainer IMO. Go with Mt. Washington, differential cut!
    He did say he wanted something 3-season... perhaps he should wait until trail days, when the Jacks debut the 3-season version of the mt washington. I know *I* am anxiously awaiting that day!

  9. #9
    Senior Member DougTheElder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Aiken, South Carolina
    Posts
    504
    Images
    4
    What Happy Camper said...She knows her stuff!!! I have a Mt. Washington and Rocky Mt. No Sniveller (flat quilt similar to the Winter Nest)...Given my experience thus far, I will put the Mt. Washington on the bottom because of its ease of first-try fit. I think a Mt. Washington should be part of the gear locker regardless of what else is in there.
    Sometimes even a Blind Hog finds an Acorn

  10. #10
    Senior Member *HangMan*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    OVER YONDER'
    Hammock
    WARBONNET RIDGERUNNER
    Tarp
    UG WINTER PALACE
    Insulation
    NEOAIR XTHERM
    Suspension
    WEB AND BUCKLES
    Posts
    176
    Images
    12
    Howiez I have the Winter Nest and I am a cold sleeper and I am nice and toasty.

Similar Threads

  1. Jacks r Better Nest
    By Koolranch in forum Under Quilts
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-21-2014, 23:15
  2. Jacks -r- better nest
    By mozzie in forum [SOLD/WITHDRAWN] Items no longer available
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-19-2014, 16:38
  3. wbbb/jacks-r-better nest combo
    By mozzie in forum [SOLD/WITHDRAWN] Items no longer available
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-15-2014, 18:04
  4. FS: Jacks 'R' Better UQ Nest...800 activ-dri down.
    By William36 in forum [SOLD/WITHDRAWN] Items no longer available
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-26-2013, 23:44
  5. WTB Jacks R Better Nest
    By swamprat in forum Want to Buy
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-05-2012, 20:22

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •