11' tablecloth
    Tarp
    Tadpole & Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie

don’t let this happen to you, ask on phone

Private campgrounds make their own rules, Can I hang from your tree? Never forget this if you call!
    I read on here that in some parts of the country you can’t hang from trees. In California I thought it was ok. However private camps can refuse hangers. I found out by going, I’ll ask the right questions on the phone next time.

KOA will not let you hang anything from their trees

If you read this far that’s pretty much all the hanger info there is.

The following is an account of how I learned of it by an unplanned stop at KOA

At the end of a weeklong motorcycle trip it got real windy. My brother and I were being moved around & pushed sideways in our lane for two days trying to get home. Report was wind 35 gusting to 50 as we approached the Golden Gate Bridge. If you’ve never ridden a motorcycle in the wind it’s hard to explain the pucker factor. Any bridge, underpass, overpass, truck, patch on the road, trashcans crossing road by themselves can and will freak you out when your leaning into the wind just to go straight. We had intended to cross the Golden Gate Bridge and make it to my brother’s house in Santa Cruz but the wind changed our minds.

We called around and found a KOA, the only campground that wasn’t full. Dark, cold, and 20 miles back to the north howling wind and all. Only to find I would not be allowed to touch a tree. I was carrying a bipod, so I asked if I could tie to a sign or pole? I don’t think anybody ever asked to tie to a pole. Though they could not produce a written rule they still said no dice to hangin’.

Dang near $90 to sleep on nasty plastic covered foam pad on wooden full size platform or the bunk beds. No water in cabin, one stool nailed to floor, dinky table looked like it would break if you put your gear on it.

can’t hang at koa

backroad, formerly known as twestered
    “The most common form of terrorism in the U.S.A. is that carried on by bulldozers and chain saws.”
    ― Edward Abbey

Hammock
    WBBBXLC 1.7dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG All Around
    Suspension
    Straps and DUTCH
    Wow...
    That sounds like an eye opener, and a terribly night. Thanks for the heads up. If I'm ever out that way I'll be careful.

Hammock
    The Quagmire/misc DIY/Eno DN
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Hg system(eventual
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies/UCR's
    Images
    KOA: Kamping On Asphalt. I do my best to avoid their "campgrounds" anyways, but thanks for the fair warning!
    I may be dumb, but at least I'm ugly!

I've done so much, with so little, for so long, now I can do anything with nothing.

It's not peer pressure, it's just your turn.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Not all KOA campgrounds are equal. I have hung at KOA campgrounds. Each are independently owned franchises. By all means, ask while on the phone but they are each run as a small business. If they see they are losing business by denying hammock hanging, perhaps that will their perception.

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    If they see they are losing business by denying hammock hanging, perhaps that will their perception.
    Quick everyone call a KOA near you and ask politely just to inundate them with inquiries about hammock camping ! Well it could work.

Sorry you had a bad experience. I hope the next one will be better.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    90"x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle

Re: don’t let this happen to you, ask on phone

Quote Originally Posted by L.D. Cakes View Post
    Quick everyone call a KOA near you and ask politely just to inundate them with inquiries about hammock camping ! Well it could work.
    I think this would be a grassroots effort...perhaps we should call it a treeroots effort!
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Hammock
    11' tablecloth
    Tarp
    Tadpole &amp; Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Thanks for the replies
    Not trying to bash any camp spot. It was my mistake, just know before you go anywhere.

It wasn't that bad a night. My brother and I had a good time making fun of the place.
    “The most common form of terrorism in the U.S.A. is that carried on by bulldozers and chain saws.”
    ― Edward Abbey

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    Quote Originally Posted by backroad View Post
    Thanks for the replies
    Not trying to bash any camp spot. It was my mistake, just know before you go anywhere.

It wasn't that bad a night. My brother and I had a good time making fun of the place.
    Well, I will BASH KOA. My experiences have all been NEGATIVE. Last winter, I could not find a camp ground in or near Astoria Oregon that was open and suitable to hang. I checked into renting a cabin or yurt at the local KOA, very expensive, and not the least nice. We took a hotel room instead, they were the same price, the hotel room was significantly nicer.

In Montana, we took a spot in a KOA Camp ground, the care taker, manager or whatever he called himself, insisted we take a cabin, we wanted to just sleep outside in our bags. He kept telling us it gets cold, gee we are from a sub arctic region of B.C. I told him that, he insisted we take a cabin. I just wanted to sleep so we took the cabin, there was a hidden camera in the cabin. I was not a happy camper. We left with a full refund. I have had a couple of other not pleasant exchanges with KOA's, just not to my liking at all. Too open, too expensive, not particularly nice, different type of campers than we are.

Calling ahead is always a good idea, collecting the name of who you spoke to is also helpful, even with the best interrogation skills, there is still the opportunity for miscommunication.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Since KOA's are either franchise owned or corporate owned, sending a letter of complaint to both the individual campground and the head office in Billings Montana might/maybe result in some action.

It sounds like in all the cases of complaints that each might have been dealing with employees and not the owners.

Don't be afraid to be a squeaky wheel if for no other reason than to get the angst off your chest.

Hammock
    TTTG SB dbl
    Tarp
    OES SWT
    Insulation
    HG 20/Exped Synmat
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by HURTHEART View Post
    ...there was a hidden camera in the cabin. I was not a happy camper.
    I'm sorry. Wtf about the hidden camera? Please explain.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast