Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Adj Webbing
    If you have the space, the surplus military antenna pole stand would work. That's what I use at home. Order them from the guy, along with some paracord for lashing, and two amsteel continuous loops, and there you go. No DIY needed. Disassembles into 4' sections and goes into a bag that would fit in a car.

I've had 400+ lbs in mine. Love it.

Last edited by dixoncreations; 05-22-2013 at 15:38.

Price correction. The galvanized stand cost me $190, not $90. Oops! But you can save $35 by using 5-foot lengths instead of 6-foot. That way you'd only be purchasing three 10' sticks.

And the link posted above is where I got the plans, except I added elbows on the ends of the feet so the base wouldn't be rocking on the tee.

And people have suggested that PVC would not be strong enough.

Finally, the top bar is actually two 5-foot pieces joined by a union in the middle.

Jim

Hammock
    DIY DL & GTUL
    Tarp
    Gear Guide 12x12
    Insulation
    IX UQ, CS TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Padovini View Post
    Thanks for all the ideas guys. As for the room, its 10'x14'. I was looking to minimize footprint, and the pipe stand looks good. I was hoping to see if anyone had used one of the stands like lowes or Walmart has. I know they are not for our type of hammock, but that would probably be the easiest at the moment. Eventually once settled in I can do a nice DIY setup, but I will be moving in less than a week and need something I can buy and have delivered or pick up locally. My other option is to buy a new bed and frame. I think the hammock method is the better option financially since I will only be there 3 nights a week.

Thanks again, Brian P.
    There has been an ongoing thread about an Ikea stand if you happen to have one by you $70 I believe. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=70169

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by the_lorax View Post
    There has been an ongoing thread about an Ikea stand if you happen to have one by you $70 I believe. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=70169
    That is what I was looking for, thank you for the link. Only problem is the two stores nearest me do not sell it. I have to drive 2 and a half hours one way to find one. Good reason to hit up REI's sale while I am in the area.

Thanks, Brian P.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Just an update since a couple people have asked. I purchased the IKEA stand, and have been using it with a Grand Trunk double. I had to use my poncho liner underquilt because even with my AC set to 72, my back and shoulders were getting cold and stiff. Other than that, it's working perfect. I will say that trying to get out on hard wood floors with only your tippy toes able to touch is tricky while half asleep making mid night rest room trips.

Brian P.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by siskiyousummit View Post
    Another possible option, if the Turtledog stand's footprint is too big: put together a plumbing pipe stand. Not off-the-shelf, but simple to build. I had all the lengths cut and threaded at Home Depot. Total cost (without wrenches) was $90.

Supplies (all 1 1/4" galvanized, threaded at both ends):
    4 6' lengths (maybe as short as 5' since hopefully you won't need tarp inside And this will save you the cost of one 10' pipe)
    4 2' lengths
    2 Tees
    6 90* Elbows
    1 Union
    Teflon tape (not necessary, but makes things easier, especial for disassembly)
    2 Pipe Wrenches
    Plastic tarp to protect floor covering from oil when assembling
    Hi all.

New hammie hanger here. I am making an iron pipe stand for indoor use. Any opinions re whether I can use 3/4" pipes all around, or even should even though I can? I have a stand set up and gingerly got into my hammock and it sways as my hammock does. I had my first hammock disaster last week and landed on my back on top of some other junk. My fault, I think... stock biner wasn't fully closed or something. I afterwards though but don't want a repeat performance.

I am using an Eno DoubleNest, weigh 126 lbs and am 5'1". Been using the hammock calculator to help me figure this stuff out.

I currently have a 10' ridgepole and 5' poles... small room. 6' poles would not work(slanted ceiling) and I don't want to hang diagonally in the room.

I also put 90 degree street elbows @ ends of the foot poles then used flanges for feet. Is this going increase flex at the T and cause some issues?

Thanks.

Hammock
    Mayan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWings View Post
    Hi all.

New hammie hanger here. I am making an iron pipe stand for indoor use. Any opinions re whether I can use 3/4" pipes all around, or even should even though I can? I have a stand set up and gingerly got into my hammock and it sways as my hammock does. I had my first hammock disaster last week and landed on my back on top of some other junk. My fault, I think... stock biner wasn't fully closed or something. I afterwards though but don't want a repeat performance.

I am using an Eno DoubleNest, weigh 126 lbs and am 5'1". Been using the hammock calculator to help me figure this stuff out.

I currently have a 10' ridgepole and 5' poles... small room. 6' poles would not work(slanted ceiling) and I don't want to hang diagonally in the room.

I also put 90 degree street elbows @ ends of the foot poles then used flanges for feet. Is this going increase flex at the T and cause some issues?

Thanks.
    I weigh 230 and use the one in my thread that uses 3 foot pipes. Be cautious with elbow ends if the whole unit sways end to end, the little elbows may not be cut out for it, especially if they are threaded (the threading is thinner than the pipe ya know). https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=37065
    Tag with Home if your thread is more about home hammocks. Thanks!

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    One month and counting. My only problem was one of the factory knots in my Grand Trunk double came untied in the middle of the night. Scared the crap outa me. I was able to re-tie it, and have slept 8 nights on it.

Enjoying my hammock more each night,
    Brian P.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12