Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Just checked...it's 3hrs from me..I have some things to do during the days so I won't be able to make it; when is the next date? In the meantime I think I will be able to use it at the mother in laws house. She has a deck and an apple tree that should hold me.

I plan on bringing 2 foam mats...1 big Agnes insulated core air mattress, and a 15 degree bag. I hope it will be sufficient. I will be wearing fleece, winter gear, gloves, hat, etc..

The only problem I may see is that the tarp of the hyperlite may be too small to protect me from this heavy rain...but that's why I'm test it.

Any tips?

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    Dutchware tarp
    Insulation
    HG phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie dutchware
    Images
    Your pad and gear will be fine. We are in union county and We try to not miss the 501. ( like vampires we are always invited in first!). Know that the long path goes from fort lee to Albany ny. You can hammock it 347 miles.
    Peggy & Russ --The Jerzybears -

I do not read advertisements. I would spend all of my time wanting things.
    -Franz Kafka

So finished with my first night out. It was a steady rain and low about 45 with a low winds. I used 1foam pad regular cut, 1 insulated air mattress, and a 15deg bag. This was using a HH hyperlite with its itsybitsy fly pulled down low.
    I was comfortable the whole night but had some cold spots where my feet were. It was a great feeling being up off the ground and not having to worry about water pooling around a tent floor.
    BUT there are some issues that I need some suggestions with:
    1. The fly is small and I worry about wind dring the rain into the hammock and wetting my sleeping bag. Are there any other larger options that are about 8-13grams?
    Hennesy will give me a credit for anther tarp but the largest lightest weight is explorer ultralite 30d at 11grams but is still has that asymmetrical shape.
    2. The hyperlite only supports 200 lbs..so I will be pushing that weight limit if I hang my bag under the tarp any ideas on bag storage ( bag weighs 25lbs). I was thinking if running a new line for tarp and hang bag on that line under tarp but any other ideas?
    3. How hard are whoopie slings to install on a Hennessy? Is that the best choice to shave the most weight of the hammock?

Soory for the long post...there is a bit of a learning curve and I am doing as much research as I can.
    Thanks for your help!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensoldier View Post
    So finished with my first night out. It was a steady rain and low about 45 with a low winds. I used 1foam pad regular cut, 1 insulated air mattress, and a 15deg bag. This was using a HH hyperlite with its itsybitsy fly pulled down low.
    I was comfortable the whole night but had some cold spots where my feet were. It was a great feeling being up off the ground and not having to worry about water pooling around a tent floor.
    BUT there are some issues that I need some suggestions with:
    1. The fly is small and I worry about wind dring the rain into the hammock and wetting my sleeping bag. Are there any other larger options that are about 8-13grams?
    Hennesy will give me a credit for anther tarp but the largest lightest weight is explorer ultralite 30d at 11grams but is still has that asymmetrical shape.
    2. The hyperlite only supports 200 lbs..so I will be pushing that weight limit if I hang my bag under the tarp any ideas on bag storage ( bag weighs 25lbs). I was thinking if running a new line for tarp and hang bag on that line under tarp but any other ideas?
    3. How hard are whoopie slings to install on a Hennessy? Is that the best choice to shave the most weight of the hammock?

Soory for the long post...there is a bit of a learning curve and I am doing as much research as I can.
    Thanks for your help!
    Your numbers don't make any sense. Maybe you are confusing grams with ounces, because there is no such thing as an 8-13 gram tarp.

An Explorer Ultralite Rainfly 30D sylnylon tarp is 11.7 oz/300 grams. People who want more coverage usually go with the HH Hex (18.6 oz for silnylon).

If you want a tarp weighing 8 to 13 oz., you either have to accept less coverage with silnylon or spend more money on cuben fiber. For example, I have the HG Winter Palace, a cuben fiber tarp with doors that is 10' 10" long and 10' 7" wide. It weighs 8.5 ounces, but costs $395 (cuben fiber ain't cheap).

As for bag storage, you might want to get a piece of Tyvek and a pack cover and just put it on the ground. You could try running a tarp ridgeline and hanging the bag off that, but I personally don't hang anything off my tarp ridgeline. Once I get to camp, my bag is empty and weighs next to nothing - what are you carrying that weighs 25 lbs?

Whoopie slings are easy to put on a Hennessy, and yes, dumping the stock rope suspension will save weight. However, most people concerned about weight wouldn't be buying a Hennessy anyway. The Hyperlite is over 1 lb. before you even add in the tarp.

Silvr
    Brain faaart on the weights. The hyper tarp is 8oz. Cuben is too $$$ for me. Before buying the HH i was looking at GT 7 but seemed uncomfortable. I read alot about black bird also. There are so many choices so i guess the best thing is to go to a local hang and test some out.
    I went to the local HDepot and a tyvek roll is about 60.00 any cheaper options.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Silvr
    Brain faaart on the weights. The hyper tarp is 8oz. Cuben is too $$$ for me. Before buying the HH i was looking at GT 7 but seemed uncomfortable. I read alot about black bird also. There are so many choices so i guess the best thing is to go to a local hang and test some out.
    Garbage bag works great.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Silvr
    You can buy tyvek by the foot from some of the cottage vendors here on HF.
    AHE has tyvek for .79/ft

Or your local lumber place might have scraps they will give you for free...

Looks like the hyperlite may be the wrong foundation for me?

Doing some searching today I have seen many different types of hammocks that would be larger than my 100x48 hyperlite and much lighter.
    The BIAS WWM is 132x52 or 56 and about half the weight of the HL...didn't even know that existed

would it be right to assume that the larger the hammock the flatter and ultimately more comfortable you will be?

My goal would be to have a full system including bug net, suspension, and decent sized tarp that is under 2lbs and comfortable for me 5'9 190lbs.
    Budget less than $300.00

Hammock
    BIAS WW, DIY
    Tarp
    Toxaway, Tadpole
    Insulation
    Phoenix,Yeti, Bag
    Suspension
    WB Adj.,or Whoopie
    Images
    Can't say enough about BIAS WW. Coming in at 7 oz on 11', 60" wide version. You can lose another oz. w/ WWM. The most comfortable hammock I own as well.(Others: WBB, ENO DN). Add a Nano Buginator at 7 oz, and Tadpole Tarp, suspension of choice and I'd say you are under 2lbs. I'd go for the 12' Tadpole though for ease of set up. 11' Tadpole is 11.5 oz, don't know about the 12'. Plenty of folks can chime in on that weight though :-)

Now if I could only find an upstanding fine forum member to test it out...why did you go with a 60" width?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast