DH Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies

DIY bugnet

I used Fronkey's design. Extremely simple! For the fabric, I used "Wally World" Mainstay "Marjorie window scarf" in black. I bought two large ones, 60 x 216, sewed the two together on the long side and cut at the length I needed. Could have just bought one, folded it in half and had enough, but I always over estimate, had enough for two. Wife says its my quantity issue, blah blah blah.. It's really fine mesh, so it's not quite as "airy" as more expensive fabrics made for bug nets, but at $14.95, readily available, no shipping, for one net, not too bad.
    I used 1.75 lashit for the pull cord. I think I made the channel a little too small, the shock cord seemed to "stick" a bit too much.

Finished one and will make another to give to one of the boy scouts in the troop for an award for something, maybe for the best student in the "Unofficial BSA Hammock Camping Merit Badge Class" I'm teaching week after next at summer camp.

Have 16 boys signed up for the class. I think it will be Exhausting but fun.
    Last edited by Fixxr5; 05-25-2013 at 12:57.

Senior Member AppalachianHammock's Avatar
    Hi Carl,

We are currently working on bug nets with zippered and shock cord closures. Right now we are looking for a few different people to take the bug net out and give us some feedback on the design, how we could improve it, etc. If this is something you would be interested in, shoot us a pm, and we can set it up.
    -Ryan and Kyle Baker, Owners
    www.AppalachianHammock.com

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    I'm sold on the top entry design, aka TED, but tulle does not work well with it or else I am too clumsy for tulle. It was a failed but inexpensive experiment.

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Karl, fwiw, the nets made of really fine mesh are hot...almost no breeze gets through. I have had good luck with a larger mesh size, treated with permethrin. I currently am using 200 openings/square inch netting from Barre Army/Navy.
    You sure make good suggestions, oldgringo. Barre is a great site! Thank you!

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouseskowitz View Post
    I picked up a couple of these Skeeta Tents. I sowed the edges together, left a small opening with a draw cord on one end and cut the other off at the length I wanted. I put velcro on that end so I can slide the net down if I want to use the hammock in chair mode. On one side I ripped the seam and put a zipper in for entry. I'm in my 11' DIY hammock in the picture.
    thanks, i just ordered 2
    KK
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12