Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I recommend more vendors do like PapaSmurf and put the order status on their site. I don't mind waiting 4-6 weeks for custom made gear ,especially when I can check the order status on their site and see where I stand. It may be more work to have an order status on your site, but it may bring in more business from happy customers, as PapaSmurf has experienced. The extra work on updating the order status pays off in the end. Just my $.02 for what it's worth, or not.... You would also end up answering less emails, because customers can just check the order status on the site.
    "No whining in the woods"

Images

OES VaporTarp

Have tried to buy OES tarp for yrs & never got replies to many emails. Finally tracked down postal addr thru Rochester BBB & sent letter. No reply so gave up.

Then saw website promises "Back in Business" "All tarps in stock & ship 24-48hrs." Emailed on 04 Apr & got reply on 07 Apr. My reply w/add'l ques on 08 & reply same day! 18 Apr I ask if he will be at Trail Days & can I pickup tarp there to save shipg. 23 Apr: His reply: won't be at TD but can ship tarp "In a week or so." 24 Apr: I order tarp & receive order confirmation #. VISA charged.

07 May, No tarp, I email for delv info, NO REPLY. 11 May: No tarp, 2nd email, NO REPLY. 13 May: No Tarp, 3rd email sent from inside his webpage, No Reply. 16 May: 24 days after order & No Tarp. Called VISA, disputed charge, cancelled order. 23 May: Reply from OES & order cancelled & refund confirmed. "My apologies for losing track of your order." For a Month?

How do you lose track of an order when "all tarps in stock & ship in 24-48hrs" & you get 4 reminders? Answer: NO tarps are in stock & the website is same old BS.

I'll join the pile-on because OES deserves it.

This guy is a BSer. He's lucky he is small-time enough that he's not worth regulatory investigation. If REI deliberately advertised misleading inventories and ship times while accepting money and then refusing to respond to refund requests as often as OES does they would get investigated. That doesn’t include the media scrutiny that typically follows such investigations.

The only way to get the word out about this guy is keep posting evidence of not getting your product remotely near a promised ship time and/or not getting it at all while not getting a refund in a timely manner even though it was asked for. The ladder constitutes theft in my state.

The solution is simple. If you can’t deliver, fine. Issue a no hassle refund. No harm no foul.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Its too bad because Brian makes a very good tarp. What i hope for him in the near future is he gets a significant other , and they run the business and he makes the tarps.

bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Done with OES!

Quote Originally Posted by Kia Kaha View Post

I also find it odd how many apologists there are, people saying it is not to long to wait for quality gear, etc. That may true, but there is no excuse for bad customer service or bad communication, that is where the problem lies, let people know they are going to wait for 4-8 weks and let them decide if it is reasonable or not, don't advertise "in stock" and then ship in a month or longer.
    Hmm...I guess I'm an apologist...LOL!

For me, I didn't care that my WBBB XLC came in 5 weeks instead of 3 as indicated on the website because I have another hammock. If I didn't have another hammock and had a trip planned I can see why one might be pissed. On the other hand if I had an important trip planned where I was depending on that hammock, you can darn well bet I'd be calling the vendor for a "firm" delivery date guarantee and maybe even offering to pay an expedite fee to get that "quality" piece of gear before placing the order.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    I don't think that it's a problem that people post about their experiences, good or bad, when it comes to dealing with cottage vendors.

What I do think is problematic is that these types of threads always degenerate into a general free for all. For example - why are people now posting about issues with other vendors? If you had an issue with a vendor other than OES, shouldn't complaints about them go in their own sub-forums?

The original poster, in this case, explained what happened clearly and respectfully. He arrived at a resolution to his situation that, while unfortunate, left him made whole. History has shown that this is not a new occurrence with this particular vendor. Why don't we leave it at that?

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by silentorpheus View Post
    I don't think that it's a problem that people post about their experiences, good or bad, when it comes to dealing with cottage vendors.

What I do think is problematic is that these types of threads always degenerate into a general free for all. For example - why are people now posting about issues with other vendors? If you had an issue with a vendor other than OES, shouldn't complaints about them go in their own sub-forums?

The original poster, in this case, explained what happened clearly and respectfully. He arrived at a resolution to his situation that, while unfortunate, left him made whole. History has shown that this is not a new occurrence with this particular vendor. Why don't we leave it at that?
    QFT.

This has gotten uncomfortable.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234